The Student Room Group

Moped thieves mug Home secretary (UK wide) should more be done?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-44510120

Pretty pathetic, considering his job description is interior security, hes now realised this is an issue, and he feels so violated he wants to toughen up on the crime lol.

Maybe he should be shot, or worse so that gets on with his job?

What ideas would you guys bring forward to stoping this sort of crime?

And is it bad in your area?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Realitysreflexx
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-44510120

Pretty pathetic, considering his job description is interior security, hes now realised this is an issue, and he feels so violated he wants to toughen up on the crime lol.

Maybe he should be shot, or worse so that gets on with his job?

What ideas would you guys bring forward to stoping this sort of crime?

And is it bad in your area?

Yeah bro, lets hope everyone gets a gunshot (or worse) so they take their job more seriously
Tougher punishments. If safe for the public , Chase the crooks. I don’t care if the crooks have their face rearranged by a lamppost.
Ban Mopeds, Ban people for living in their old estate after they come out prison, stop wasting time on arresting people for tweets or pretending to live in a good catchment area

Reverse police cuts (budget largely controlled by Home secretary not mayor of london)
Original post by Kyber Ninja
Yeah bro, lets hope everyone gets a gunshot (or worse) so they take their job more seriously

Obviously i wrote this with a flamed over the top tone to spark debate,

I do hope the home secretary remains safe, and where was his security detail?

I guess he figured no one would dare rob the home sec surely lol.

But he should have been aware of this issue, actually met a girl once on a night out this occured to in london, then was highly upset, as i was unable to get her number!
the event happened a couple of years ago.
Original post by Notoriety
the event happened a couple of years ago.

Havent read that...no timeframe is given...could have been recently, why report it now? Odd.
Well for one Police shouldn’t be afraid of having to go to court because a moped rider crashes when being chased by them.
Not the biggest fan of his coming out with this now. Looks a bit like he's trying to score victim points, and convert them into political capital.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Havent read that...no timeframe is given...could have been recently, why report it now? Odd.

It should be rather obvious this was speaking about a mugging when he was an ordinary MP, maybe a lowly minister, and not when he was Home Sec. They have round-the-clock armed protection.You should have seen it when a local MP was made high-level Sec of State; they were building outbuildings for 24/7 armed guards and blast proof fences. After all this, they don't allow them to to get mugged! Certainly not his phone, which probably has a lot of sensitive info on it -- remember, he is Sec who oversees MI5 and general policing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44510120 It says it happened a couple years back on the BBC.

He is talking about it because he is coming up with a campaign and showing he understands the problem.

EDIT: in 2016 he was Sec for Business and later Sec for Communities. Both quite junior.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Notoriety
It should be rather obvious this was speaking about a mugging when he was an ordinary MP, maybe a lowly minister, and not when he was Home Sec. They have round-the-clock armed protection.You should have seen it when a local MP was made high-level Sec of State; they were building outbuildings for 24/7 armed guards and blast proof fences. After all this, they don't allow them to to get mugged! Certainly not his phone, which probably has a lot of sensitive info on it -- remember, he is Sec who oversees MI5 and general policing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44510120 It says it happened a couple years back on the BBC.

He is talking about it because he is coming up with a campaign and showing he understands the problem.

EDIT: in 2016 he was Sec for Business and later Sec for Communities. Both quite junior.

Can’t rep.

This is true, the 5 offices of state will have personal security. No moped mugger would get anywhere near him without possibly being shot.
Original post by Andrew97
Can’t rep.

This is true, the 5 offices of state will have personal security. No moped mugger would get anywhere near him without possibly being shot.

Yeah, I knew for a fact just from the headline this was not done last week. A point of reference, when Westminster was assailed last year it was Michael Fallon's (Sec of Defence) bodyguard who shot and killed him. If Fallon, who is junior to Home Sec, has bodyguards waiting for him in a fortress ... Home Sec is gonna have bodyguards when he is walking the streets of London.

OP is American, though.
Tougher punishments. If safe for the public , Chase the crooks. I don’t care if the crooks have their face rearranged by a lamppost.

Criminals are rarely deterred by sentences because they don't think they will get caught

Drug dealers face death everyday, even bringing back the death penalty wouldnt affect them.

the last thing we need is to encourage the police is to go all godzilla. It just encourages criminals to take more risk and put membres of the public at greater risk.
The police would chase the crooks but the muggers could drive dangerously and kill a member of the public.

Reply 14
Ah the days when such people would have been stuck in a gibbet or at least put in the stocks.
As much as I dislike American 'justice' the idea of labour gangs does seem somewhat ripe for reevaluation in the UK though.
Original post by Napp
Ah the days when such people would have been stuck in a gibbet or at least put in the stocks.
As much as I dislike American 'justice' the idea of labour gangs does seem somewhat ripe for reevaluation in the UK though.

You cant dislike america, we have space force lmao.
address the cultural problems not the symptoms.

I would start with:

Is there a correlation between adolescent crime and fatherless families?
Wall off London then send the nations criminals there.
Give the police full powers to chase the criminals, even at high speed. Arm our cops with guns so they can shoot their mopeds. Don't give a **** if these criminals end up with a broken skull or even shot, they only have themselves to blame. It's because we are so soft on these criminals that crime like moped crime is on the rise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
London is quickly becoming the home of drugs, crime, murder, violence and a show of the worst of humanity. Put aside the sky-high house prices and the millionaires scooping up all the property to rent chains of houses they can monopolise as landlords, even schools in London are full of gangs and these children coming out of these schools - some of them - don't speak to speak english, but talk a bullish, vulgar language i don't recognise.

Quick Reply

Latest