David Russell Apartments Accomondation St Andrews Watch

MrLevi
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey guys,

I got an offer for the David Russel Accomondation. It is a bit outside of town (about 2km from university). Do you have experience with the accomondation? Shall I accept the offer or is it better to decline and look for something else? I often read that it is too far away and not worth the money (6300pounds).

Maybe you can help me with another question. The end date of the accomondation contract is the 26/08/2019 but the graduation day at 24/06/2019. Is there anything after the graduation? Why is the contract duration that long?

I hope someone can give me an advise.

Thank you!
la_banane_verte
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MrLevi)
Hey guys,

I got an offer for the David Russel Accomondation. It is a bit outside of town (about 2km from university). Do you have experience with the accomondation? Shall I accept the offer or is it better to decline and look for something else? I often read that it is too far away and not worth the money (6300pounds).

Maybe you can help me with another question. The end date of the accomondation contract is the 26/08/2019 but the graduation day at 24/06/2019. Is there anything after the graduation? Why is the contract duration that long?

I hope someone can give me an advise.

Thank you!
So DRA is expensive, but tbh so is everything else. I would look at the prices of the other uni accommodation and see if there's anything else that's actually cheaper that would suit you before declining.

People who say DRA's too far away are using what I like to think of as "St Andrews distances". If we were a big city, a 20 minute walk (or 5 minute bus!) from your accommodation into the town centre would be absolutely nothing, in fact it would probably be really convenient. But because in St Andrews, the furthest out you can get is about 30 minutes walk, then DRA seems far. So basically, I wouldn't make a decision based on the distance from town.

What sort of course are you studying? If your contract runs to August my guess is a Masters of some sort? If that's the case, your graduation will be in Nov/Dec 2019, not June 2019.
MrLevi
Rep:
?
Thank you for your reply.Yes, I'm going to study Finance. How do I get these information? I just found the schedule where the graduation is in June and the last lecture in may. Is it not the same for postgraduates? If not, when is the last lecture or the final exams?When I applied for the accomondation I was just able to choose between the DRA and another accomondation. The second one was a bit cheaper but did't have WIFI and a really small room. The rest I could apply for was way more expensive but with food included. I'm a bit worried now. I don't want to risk that I won't get any accomondation if I decline the offer. How is the general flat market in St Andrews? Would you recommend to accept the offer? Which accomondation would be better?Thanks!
la_banane_verte
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you for your reply.Yes, I'm going to study Finance. How do I get these information? I just found the schedule where the graduation is in June and the last lecture in may. Is it not the same for postgraduates? If not, when is the last lecture or the final exams?When I applied for the accomondation I was just able to choose between the DRA and another accomondation. The second one was a bit cheaper but did't have WIFI and a really small room. The rest I could apply for was way more expensive but with food included. I'm a bit worried now. I don't want to risk that I won't get any accomondation if I decline the offer. How is the general flat market in St Andrews? Would you recommend to accept the offer? Which accomondation would be better?Thanks!
So if you're doing MSc Finance, you'll do the taught part with exams in semester 1 and 2, and then over the summer you'll do a dissertation which normally has a hand-in deadline of mid/late August. You then find out your degree result towards the end of September and graduation is normally end of Nov/beginning Dec. The course page (https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/subject...nce-msc/#13948) does say that the end date of the course is 30 Sept 2019, and you can see the dissertation deadlines on the key dates pdf here https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/semesterdates/2018-2019/ .

I'm curious which accommodation doesn't have wifi? The private rental market is generally expensive, and many people struggle finding things, though I never had any issues and nor did my friends.

Here's a few pages with currently available student lets:
https://rollos.co.uk/Letting-Agents/Student-Lets
https://thorntons-property.co.uk/student-list/
https://www.standrewsstudentpad.co.uk/SearchResults/1

I would suggest comparing some of the private let prices to the price you will pay in DRA (remember that DRA includes heating and electricity in the price, many private lets won't), and see which works out best for you.
MrLevi
Rep:
?
Do I have to stay in St Andrews for the dissertation? Maybe it's better to rent a single room for just 9 Months instead the DRA for a year...It was maneged property from the university that didn't have WIFI. Thank you for your advise. I'm going to compare the prices and send out some requests. Maybe I can get something else..
la_banane_verte
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do I have to stay in St Andrews for the dissertation? Maybe it's better to rent a single room for just 9 Months instead the DRA for a year...It was maneged property from the university that didn't have WIFI. Thank you for your advise. I'm going to compare the prices and send out some requests. Maybe I can get something else..
Private accommodation won't come with wifi either, you'll need to arrange it yourself. If you can't find anything in St Andrews that's in your price bracket you could consider the East Neuk, Cupar, or Dundee, but make sure to factor in the bus tickets.

Most people will stay St Andrews for the dissertation because you are supposed to meet with your supervisor to discuss it(I don't know how often supervisors in Econ&Finance like to meet, but you could email the PGT coordinator in the School to ask). You might also want to use the library or other facilities.
alaszczu
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Isn't it possible to do a dissertation by the end of the 2nd semester and to have graduation in June? There are only 2 courses per semester (at least in my programme) so it seems doable
la_banane_verte
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by alaszczu)
Isn't it possible to do a dissertation by the end of the 2nd semester and to have graduation in June? There are only 2 courses per semester (at least in my programme) so it seems doable
I see in the other thread you're doing Peace and Conflict Studies? I've checked the School handbook (only available if you have a university login, I don't know if you have one yet, but if you do it's here https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/ir/curr...rse-handbooks/), and you will not get to pick a dissertation topic until semester 2. Supervisors will be busy with teaching during the semester, so won't be able to give you a proper amount of time until the summer. You will have classes on dissertation writing in semester 2, so it would be sensible to see what they teach you before handing in a dissertation.. Added to that, even if you tried to hand a dissertation in early, no-one is going to mark it until after the hand-in deadline, so no, you can't graduate in June.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (205)
23.51%
Pop (215)
24.66%
Jazz (33)