The Student Room Group

Exams

I am a concerned year 11 student who doesn't know what they want to be when they are older. So my question is do you know any websites which maybe able to help my decision by me answering questions and saying what i am interested in please?
Original post by Burns__16
I am a concerned year 11 student who doesn't know what they want to be when they are older. So my question is do you know any websites which maybe able to help my decision by me answering questions and saying what i am interested in please?

How about you wrote down a list of things you are good at or have an interest in and see yourself doing for a long time. And to be honest you're only in year 11. I'm in year 13 and still don't know what I want to do with my future lol
Good luck
National careers website can be a useful browse
Reply 3

Relax, you've still got ages. I take it your going into a levels next year? Your school will usually put you guys through some multiple choice questions tests that can give you a rough guess as what it thinks you could study further on. In my school we took it at the end of year 12.

speak to your teachers in school when you can.
Although, my guess is that you've finished exams and are on summer break. Just enjoy the break and worry about it when you join back in September. :smile:

look over some courses at uni websites and see for yourself if your still concerned.

hope this helps.
Reply 4
Original post by Handman2
Relax, you've still got ages. I take it your going into a levels next year? Your school will usually put you guys through some multiple choice questions tests that can give you a rough guess as what it thinks you could study further on. In my school we took it at the end of year 12.

speak to your teachers in school when you can.
Although, my guess is that you've finished exams and are on summer break. Just enjoy the break and worry about it when you join back in September. :smile:

look over some courses at uni websites and see for yourself if your still concerned.

hope this helps.

Yes this has really helped thank you, i just do not know what to take at A level yet so i am worried what if i make the wrong decision!
Reply 5
Original post by Mesopotamian.
National careers website can be a useful browse

Thank you!! I will use that website
Reply 6
Original post by Doublletrouble
How about you wrote down a list of things you are good at or have an interest in and see yourself doing for a long time. And to be honest you're only in year 11. I'm in year 13 and still don't know what I want to do with my future lol
Good luck

Thank you for your advice i will bear this in mind!
Reply 7
Try talking to a careers adviser at your school
Reply 8
Yes this has really helped thank you, i just do not know what to take at A level yet so i am worried what if i make the wrong decision!

Honestly, it does not matter. I've had 5 people in my year that changed subjects, even in year 13!. Its fine. especially in your first few months of year 12, you have time to change.
I know this may sound like a cliché, but choose the subjects that you find the most interesting in gcse.

You need to choose 3 a levels (as that's what most unis want), but if your school allows you, choose 4 and be optimistic. Then drop whatever you don't like (the 4th) or sub it out for a different subject completely.

I did Maths, film, music and design in my first year. and dropped math after first year as I got a U :|
I couldn't cope and I'm glad that I dropped, I'm doing fine how it is.
Reply 9
Honestly, it does not matter. I've had 5 people in my year that changed subjects, even in year 13!. Its fine. especially in your first few months of year 12, you have time to change.
I know this may sound like a cliché, but choose the subjects that you find the most interesting in gcse.

You need to choose 3 a levels (as that's what most unis want), but if your school allows you, choose 4 and be optimistic. Then drop whatever you don't like (the 4th) or sub it out for a different subject completely.

I did Maths, film, music and design in my first year. and dropped math after first year as I got a U :|
I couldn't cope and I'm glad that I dropped, I'm doing fine how it is.

Thank you! I love maths and subjects are orientated around that. I cannot turn all my choices into 3 or 4 subjects; Maths, Business, Economics, Psychology, Geography and all sciences. I just want to keep all the doors open for any possible career paths.
Thank you! I love maths and subjects are orientated around that. I cannot turn all my choices into 3 or 4 subjects; Maths, Business, Economics, Psychology, Geography and all sciences. I just want to keep all the doors open for any possible career paths.

Right, I get you. Maths personally I would say is a very good choice, it is a very wildly known subject. it is just very challenging, if you feel like your up for it, then go for it! It is also a good idea if you want to keep your options open.

Along with that, any one of the sciences (apart from physics) would be a good idea and then choose whatever you like for the third and even a fourth if you can.

This is just one opinion on this. Speak to anybody else on this matter, and honestly just do what you like!! especially if you're good at it! It's all up to YOU!

Unis are not too picky about certain subjects apart from a few specific courses such as engineering for example (hence why I said do maths)
If you visit any uni website suggesting a course, you can see what grade requirements they want and if they need a specific subject choice.
Again this is very dependent on the course itself.

Hope all info is helpful, I don't mind answering any further questions or an opinion on what not.
I'm at the end of year 13 BTW and about to go onto uni, just for reference.

But hey, goodluck! and just relax you'll be fine! :smile:
Reply 11
Right, I get you. Maths personally I would say is a very good choice, it is a very wildly known subject. it is just very challenging, if you feel like your up for it, then go for it! It is also a good idea if you want to keep your options open.

Along with that, any one of the sciences (apart from physics) would be a good idea and then choose whatever you like for the third and even a fourth if you can.

This is just one opinion on this. Speak to anybody else on this matter, and honestly just do what you like!! especially if you're good at it! It's all up to YOU!

Unis are not too picky about certain subjects apart from a few specific courses such as engineering for example (hence why I said do maths)
If you visit any uni website suggesting a course, you can see what grade requirements they want and if they need a specific subject choice.
Again this is very dependent on the course itself.

Hope all info is helpful, I don't mind answering any further questions or an opinion on what not.
I'm at the end of year 13 BTW and about to go onto uni, just for reference.

But hey, goodluck! and just relax you'll be fine! :smile:

Thank you so much!This has really helped me cant lie. Good luck with your A-levels hope you do well god bless.

Quick Reply

Latest