The Student Room Group

Feel absolutely lost, don’t know what I’m doing.

I’ve just finished all my a level exams, and now I have really bad anxiety everyday because I don’t know what I’m going to do. I applied to Uni not wanting to go so I’ve deferred my entry so I don’t rush into going without being 100% in on the course. I tried applying for apprenticeships but I’ve been rejected more times than I can count. I absolutely have no idea what’s going to happen and I feel physically sick everyday because I don’t want to be a failure and just sit back without a plan. I put my all in when applying for apprenticeships, it just seems like other people are so much better which almost makes me feel not good enough which is why I stopped applying last month. I really truly want an apprenticeship but I just can’t seem to find any. I don’t know what to do, school hasn’t helped me at all and now that I’ve left school, I have no one to turn to.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
It must be a confusing and scary time for you. I'll try to offer you some words of encouragement, without knowing your situation or really having been in it.

I don't think a person's life outcomes (normally) are determined largely by one single decision. It's more about the habits you form and the knowledge you develop gradually, on a daily basis, over a long period of time.

It seems like you're wise not to just rush into university without being certain about a course. One question - does the university offer courses that can be used as credit for multiple majors? Could you choose a course that you find moderately interesting, which could allow you to jump to a different major? I guess what I'm thinking is, you could try one course just to dip your toes in something, and then from seeing how that went, you would have a clearer picture of what interests you more and then steer the ship more in that direction. It could take a while, maybe a few courses, but if you end up in a course that you really find interesting and engaging, then you've struck gold, and that can be come the foundation for your career.

You mentioned you really want an apprenticeship. Maybe that's a better path for you than uni. What is it that an apprenticeship brings to your mind? Would you like to be working alongside other people? Do you prefer to be doing rather than just learning? Do you want to feel part of something or connected to something?

I guess my 2c (I might be wrong) is that you're still learning about yourself and searching for your real calling in life, for what on a day-to-day basis you would get satisfaction out of. I think if you can find that, and marry it up roughly with a career (doesn't have to be a perfect fit, just approximate), then you're a success.
We learn about ourselves for decades.
If I was as wise ten years ago as I am now, I would have made many decisions very different.
Reply 3
Hey op don't panic. I'm 22, about to graduate and have only just figured out what i want to do (ish). What kind of apprenticeships have you applied for? Have you got to the interview stage yet? I've interviewed young people for apprenticeships in London so can give you some advice on that aspect of things.
Reply 4
Original post by Justmac
Hey op don't panic. I'm 22, about to graduate and have only just figured out what i want to do (ish). What kind of apprenticeships have you applied for? Have you got to the interview stage yet? I've interviewed young people for apprenticeships in London so can give you some advice on that aspect of things.

I’ve gotten through all the way to the last stages which include interviews but I have never progressed further.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by conwy
It must be a confusing and scary time for you. I'll try to offer you some words of encouragement, without knowing your situation or really having been in it.

I don't think a person's life outcomes (normally) are determined largely by one single decision. It's more about the habits you form and the knowledge you develop gradually, on a daily basis, over a long period of time.

It seems like you're wise not to just rush into university without being certain about a course. One question - does the university offer courses that can be used as credit for multiple majors? Could you choose a course that you find moderately interesting, which could allow you to jump to a different major? I guess what I'm thinking is, you could try one course just to dip your toes in something, and then from seeing how that went, you would have a clearer picture of what interests you more and then steer the ship more in that direction. It could take a while, maybe a few courses, but if you end up in a course that you really find interesting and engaging, then you've struck gold, and that can be come the foundation for your career.

You mentioned you really want an apprenticeship. Maybe that's a better path for you than uni. What is it that an apprenticeship brings to your mind? Would you like to be working alongside other people? Do you prefer to be doing rather than just learning? Do you want to feel part of something or connected to something?

I guess my 2c (I might be wrong) is that you're still learning about yourself and searching for your real calling in life, for what on a day-to-day basis you would get satisfaction out of. I think if you can find that, and marry it up roughly with a career (doesn't have to be a perfect fit, just approximate), then you're a success.

Thank you for this! And yes I do have a course in mind, but the Uni I’ve applied to, you only have a month or so before you can change and I don’t know if I would learn or find out whether that course if for me in just a months time.

I think with the apprenticeships it’s more the being able to actually ‘do’ rather than learn constantly and be passive, and I want to feel part of something too, working with people and working collaboratively rather than competitively like in education.

It’s honestly just that. I’m trying to figure out what it is I’m truly here for, and I want everyday to be different, not just study, eat, repeat like I’ve been used to for 15 years.
Original post by rdlewiss
I’ve just finished all my a level exams, and now I have really bad anxiety everyday because I don’t know what I’m going to do. I applied to Uni not wanting to go so I’ve deferred my entry so I don’t rush into going without being 100% in on the course. I tried applying for apprenticeships but I’ve been rejected more times than I can count. I absolutely have no idea what’s going to happen and I feel physically sick everyday because I don’t want to be a failure and just sit back without a plan. I put my all in when applying for apprenticeships, it just seems like other people are so much better which almost makes me feel not good enough which is why I stopped applying last month. I really truly want an apprenticeship but I just can’t seem to find any. I don’t know what to do, school hasn’t helped me at all and now that I’ve left school, I have no one to turn to.

Hi there,

Hope I can offer some support here for you.

You find yourself in a position that many people your age do, it's actually really quite normal not to know what career you want to do and deciding can be really stressful and difficult.

I am sorry to hear that you haven't been successful in your search for an apprenticeship, have you received any feedback as to why you were unsuccessful so you can work on this?

You could possibly benefit from taking a gap year to try and figure things out. If it's a lack of experience that is stopping you, you could spend a year working/volunteering.

You could think about trying our Skills Health Check through our website. It asks you a range of questions about your skills, interests, motivations etc. and based upon the answers you give it will suggest some career sectors you are suited to. You can then use our job profiles to start researching the ideas it gives you and hopefully you will be able to start planning your next steps. You can find the test here- https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/skills-health-check/home

Once on our website you will see that you can chat with our advisers online to talk things through in more depth.

My advice here would be to try and not panic or let how you're feeling demotivate you. By doing research and chatting to a careers adviser you can make a well informed decision that is right for you. You never know we may be able to open up a range of options that you didn't know were out there.

I wish you all the best with everything and we are available on TSR should you wish to chat with us.

Thanks - Sophie.
Reply 7
Original post by National Careers Service
Hi there,

Hope I can offer some support here for you.

You find yourself in a position that many people your age do, it's actually really quite normal not to know what career you want to do and deciding can be really stressful and difficult.

I am sorry to hear that you haven't been successful in your search for an apprenticeship, have you received any feedback as to why you were unsuccessful so you can work on this?

You could possibly benefit from taking a gap year to try and figure things out. If it's a lack of experience that is stopping you, you could spend a year working/volunteering.

You could think about trying our Skills Health Check through our website. It asks you a range of questions about your skills, interests, motivations etc. and based upon the answers you give it will suggest some career sectors you are suited to. You can then use our job profiles to start researching the ideas it gives you and hopefully you will be able to start planning your next steps. You can find the test here- https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/skills-health-check/home

Once on our website you will see that you can chat with our advisers online to talk things through in more depth.

My advice here would be to try and not panic or let how you're feeling demotivate you. By doing research and chatting to a careers adviser you can make a well informed decision that is right for you. You never know we may be able to open up a range of options that you didn't know were out there.

I wish you all the best with everything and we are available on TSR should you wish to chat with us.

Thanks - Sophie.

Thank you so much for your reply! That’s the problem, whenever I apply I haven’t received any feedback, even when I ask for it. This makes it difficult for me to improve.

I would love to take a year out to volunteer and gain skills, my only worry is that I’ve heard a lot that apprenticeships are hard to get if you’re not 18 and a school leaver, and most employers prefer people who are straight out of education.

I will definitely take a look & use the test, thank you so much & thank you for your advice!
Original post by rdlewiss
Thank you so much for your reply! That’s the problem, whenever I apply I haven’t received any feedback, even when I ask for it. This makes it difficult for me to improve.

I would love to take a year out to volunteer and gain skills, my only worry is that I’ve heard a lot that apprenticeships are hard to get if you’re not 18 and a school leaver, and most employers prefer people who are straight out of education.

I will definitely take a look & use the test, thank you so much & thank you for your advice!

Hi again,

If you get through to interview stages you are entitled to receive written or verbal feedback.

There is no upper age limit on apprenticeships and statistics show that more adults started apprenticeships last year than those under 18.

The older you get the less funding employers are entitled to however after doing A-levels you would be looking to progress onto a higher or even degree level apprenticeship which is funded by the employer.

Taking a gap year is absolutely fine as long as you fill that year with experience and building your skills. It something you should consider carefully and weigh up the pro's and con's as everyone has different views on gap years.

You might find the following website helpful when considering this option - https://www.prospects.ac.uk/jobs-and-work-experience/gap-year

I'm not sure what websites you're using to find apprenticeships but I would always recommend the Find an Apprenticeship website through the National Apprenticeship Service - https://www.gov.uk/apply-apprenticeship

Good luck with everything!

Thanks - Sophie.

Quick Reply

Latest