The Student Room Group

Volunteering

I want to apply to medicine, and I’ve done plenty of work experience, but no actual volunteering in a caring environment. This is not for lack of care though - my school gave me a Volunteer placement for 6 weeks at a ‘well-being centre’ but this turned out to be an alternative medicine centre - can I still spin this to my advantage? I also have been voluntarily tutoring a year 11 student in maths up to their GCSEs. I went to a care home a few times, but I wasn’t allowed to do anything and they only took me on for 3 weeks. I’m away with family all summer so I can’t volunteer over summer. Should I try and get some more volunteering for September or will I be okay?
I think volunteering of any kind is a positive thing - it all counts and it’s all experience and shows commitment.
Reply 2
Original post by Seamus123
I think volunteering of any kind is a positive thing - it all counts and it’s all experience and shows commitment.

I’m just concerned because I’m pretty sure some unis request volunteering in a care environment, Newcastle and Mánchester I think are examples? I don’t know if anything I’ve done is sufficient for that.
I’m In the same boat my friend. I’m thinking of building houses for the poor (in third world countries and local slums) for experience. On your app, say why you did it and how it relates to care for PEOPLE! Holla!!!
Reply 4
Original post by Volibear

I was doing admin work, like helping out with the tech, at the reception and making flyers for them etc
Reply 5
Original post by HopelessAgony37
I’m In the same boat my friend. I’m thinking of building houses for the poor (in third world countries and local slums) for experience. On your app, say why you did it and how it relates to care for PEOPLE! Holla!!!

Yeah, I feel like I can talk about the stuff I’ve done from a caring POV, especially the tutoring as I really cared about her doing well!
If you don't have much voluntary experience then don't apply to uni's which require it.
However, I don't quite know your responsibilities in the medical centre, but if you developed empathy skills then that's worth mentioning
Reply 7
Original post by AzureCeleste
If you don't have much voluntary experience then don't apply to uni's which require it.
However, I don't quite know your responsibilities in the medical centre, but if you developed empathy skills then that's worth mentioning

Do you know which unis don’t place an emphasis on volunteering? I didn’t really, I barely saw anyone except the staff:/
Original post by ines22xox
Do you know which unis don’t place an emphasis on volunteering? I didn’t really, I barely saw anyone except the staff:/

Not really, I'd look about and apply to where you want to go.
The voluntary work shows empathy skills, so if you've built empathy in other ways then you could mention that instead

Quick Reply