The Student Room Group

which courses should be 100% loan free for students

doctor's, scientists, teachers. ? which professions should have student fees and digs etc paid for by the government? should it be pass grade related? feed back essential prior to government potition. all thoughts welcome

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
All of them.
if all of them , should a pass requirement be set to ensure students are committed? do you think free digs and education would attract party goers attracted by fresher's rather than genuine student trying to better themselves ?
Original post by Jin3011
All of them.

All the ones OP listed or all courses?
None of them.
Original post by buybackbritain
doctor's, scientists, teachers. ? which professions should have student fees and digs etc paid for by the government? should it be pass grade related? feed back essential prior to government potition. all thoughts welcome

A degrees value would drop if it were to become free, that's why people should have to pay.
I reckon top performers should be given their money back but everyone has to pay for it to begin with.
Reply 6
The government shouldn’t put money into making uni free instead that money should go towards increasing pay in job sectors where people are required. Think about it you could make the uni course free for certain courses then you will have a mass amount of people who just do the course because it’s free and then don’t use the degree, some jobs require you to have a degree but don’t specify an area the degree must be in its more to see your skill, if this was the case people would take advantage of the free degree. You don’t want to encourage people to take a degree you want to encourage people into a job which by doing so will require them to do the degree. So instead of decreasing the uni fee... increase the wage of the job that there is a lack of people for.
So as well as increased pay an incentive of filling a position for a period of time could also be an option to earn back student fees. For example 20% of student loan paid every year in a position we have a short he for.
So as well as increased pay an incentive of filling a position for a period of time could also be an option to earn back student fees. For example 20% of student loan paid every year in a position we have a short he for.

What's the point in doing both? That's just a more complicated way of increasing pay.
Original post by Student-95
What's the point in doing both? That's just a more complicated way of increasing pay.

The concern for many is clearing their debt. We are not saying it is right but the government will argue pay can not be increased across the board but may look at a solution to accelerate clearing student loans where put to good use.

Set a hard grade requirement of AAB minimum for every course. Fees can be lowered because of the fewer number going. Loans less crucial if fees are like £4,000 a year
None. Else you're going to have people just going to uni for 3 years+ for the sake of it.
madness that people think that uni should be free. I don't want to pay my tax money for Jim down the road to get a degree in gender studies. I think uni fees should be slightly less for important degrees (maths, medicine, physics, economics)
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 13
There's an argument for all of them being free but if I had to pick then the ones that give back like doctors and teachers, and maybe with a caveat such as in order to study this degree for free you need to get the grades for course entry, if the government is paying for accommodation they should live within their means, maintain grades at or above a certain level, and the student has to go into the relevant work field for a certain length of time. The textbooks should be free, too, with the course. Not sure what should be done about other stuff but government could also fund accommodation to an extent? Maybe not pay for everything, but government housing with no rent, and then they work to pay the bills and food and other stuff?

So, for example, (and this is just an example ft numbers I pulled out of the air)
if someone wanted to study to be a teacher for free they first need the grades required for their chosen course at their chosen uni, they would need to pick accommodation that is bare minimum rather than extravagant (like if it's just them then a basic studio flat, but if there's also a sibling/child they look after a 1 bedroom with sofa bed or something. IDK I'm talking bare minimum here), they should keep their grades at a level worth 2:2 or above, and they should do work experience during their course in teaching and have worked as a teacher for at least 5 tax years within a decade of graduating. The books for their course should be free along with the actual course, and working a part time job on weekends should cover the bills, food, transport, while still leaving study time.
None of them.
Teachers and educational support staff.
Cohesively everything should be free as it all benefits the economy all around.
Well, I think some degrees already have low fees when compared to how much it actually costs to put a student through their degree. Whilst the rough total for a medical degree is £230,000, roughly £64,000 are paid by the student through loans, and £163,000 are paid by the tax-payers. That's already quite a high number.
The concern for many is clearing their debt. We are not saying it is right but the government will argue pay can not be increased across the board but may look at a solution to accelerate clearing student loans where put to good use.

Since when? Most people won't ever clear their debt and it'll just be written off after 30 years. The size of the debt is irrelevant for most grads and it just functions as a 'graduate tax'
Original post by Pearlfection1
Cohesively everything should be free as it all benefits the economy all around.

Doesn't at all

Quick Reply

Latest