The Student Room Group

Teesside - Any "very mature" students starting in September 2018

Hi wondering if there are any students in their 30s & 40s starting at Teesside. I’m a “very mature” student starting in September 2018 & feeling very apprehensive about it because of my age to the point I’m having major second thoughts. Please tell me there are other older students who are planning to study like me .
Reply 1
I'm not an older student but I think it's great you're going to university, it's a great achievement at any age! I really hope you don't let your age stop you from going. My dad went to uni in his 30s. Just don't worry about it too much, easier said than done yes but please don't let your age stop you!
Don’t have second thoughts. All universities have their share of mature students and ‘very mature’ students.
I am 70 and just completed my degree. Go for it. You will be just fine.
Reply 3
Yes! I'm in my 50s and planning to do an MSc at Teesside starting either September or January depending on how soon I can get clear of work.
I started at Kent last year at age 39, and love it. Go for it!!! Enjoy!
My professor refers to me as a very mature student and im 28 lol. (Rarer at Russell groups) But my classmates dont care, they all think im 22-24 is the highest they have guessed, they even elected me course rep. Mature students are generally given tons of respect.
Reply 6
I did a degree alongside a retired surgeon in his 70s and nobody was bothered. I was a bit older than everyone else, too. No probs - have fun!
Reply 7
Thank you so much for your replies & encouraging words everyone. I guess the only person with hang ups about age is me lol!
Reply 8
Hi! I'm 46 and starting in September. Very excited but also worried about finances and coping with essays!
Reply 9
I'm 49 and only applying this year. You are a youngster to me!!
Haha! Only just!
Hi, yep, me too...starting Teeside in January (I’m 48). As you have seen from all the responses, you will not be alone in the ‘mature’ bracket. And while we most likely won’t be partying hard I’m sure we can give a few coffees and a newspaper a run for their money :smile:. Private message me if you’d like any ‘mature’ study advice (I’ve already got the degree, masters in Jan) as I have learnt a lot over the last 4 years of study. And remember there are others just like you who will also anxious and are hoping to meet others so don’t worry, it’s a good experience getting to know other students.
Anyone going to the TOPS on Wednesday morning?
Reply 13
Good luck! I'm feeling similar: I'm 36 and starting at Portsmouth next week. But I still look a bit younger so hoping I'll slip under the ol' radar! 😀

Hope you have a great time and settle in quickly.
Reply 14
Sorry haven’t had a chance to catch up on here for a while. I start my course on Monday & I’m scared more than ever now. So far I’m 10 yrs older than the oldest person on my course! I think I’m having a bit of a mid life crisis! 🙈😂
Did you go to the event on Wednesday? There were quite a few 'mature' people there. Reassured me!
Not at Teeside but I'm starting my undergrad degree next week, and I'm 37. On the departmental open day I attended back in the spring, there was a prospective student for my course who I estimated to be in his mid-60s. Try not to feel too apprehensive about it all - age is just a number. Enjoy your degree! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest