Being 'edgy' - rejection of moral boundaries or recognising them?

Watch
Axiomasher
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
When people tell 'sick' jokes or engage in 'edgy' banter are they making it known that they don't care about or believe in what is morally unacceptable or are they actually identifying a boundary they still give value to but wish to transgress to show how 'powerful' they are? Or is something else happening?
Personinsertname
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
There are all sorts of people who do all sorts of things for different reasons.
Those listed above are all valid for some people, and invalid for some.
Lets try to not make blanket statements.

Anyways would you rather someone break a boundary for a joke or genuine contempt?
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
my theory is that everything boils down to self preservation. if you've ever read Thomas Hobbes that's basically where i stand on political and social theory and might make me an evil person.

re edgy jokes, my theory is that individuals who do this seek attention for self preservation but a) lack creativity and b) are too lonely to come up with anything else. edgy jokes are quick and effective. it takes no energy, no imagination and no developed vocabulary to get your result. that's why even fifth-graders can come up with 'edgy' jokes on racism, sexism, etc. i also think it has to do with social power, but i don't want to write an essay on that.

another thing with ego is that people want to prove they think for themselves. children don't want to be told what to do and neither do adults. look at adam and eve. they could do ANYTHING they wanted, but they destroyed everything for the one thing they couldn't have. it wasn't necessary and not good, but you couldn't tell them what to do either. that's why i'm starting to question the effectiveness of political correctness.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.1%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (30)
16.39%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (30)
16.39%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (27)
14.75%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (50)
27.32%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.03%

Watched Threads