The Student Room Group

Does UCAS application ask for date?

Does anywhere on the UCAS university applications form ask for what date you started XYZ qualification. Do the universities you apply to need to know the start date of courses you have done? For example, if you started a GCSE course in June 2018, would that date need to be known to UCAS or the universities you apply too? Would the start date of a course you have done need to be on the UCAS form?

For example, if you started a GCSE course in June 2018, would June 2018 then be on the UCAS application?
Original post by moon4
Does anywhere on the UCAS university applications form ask for what date you started XYZ qualification. Do the universities you apply to need to know the start date of courses you have done? For example, if you started a GCSE course in June 2018, would that date need to be known to UCAS or the universities you apply too? Would the start date of a course you have done need to be on the UCAS form?

For example, if you started a GCSE course in June 2018, would June 2018 then be on the UCAS application?

In the qualifications section yes you'd have to say when the courses started. Unis want to see that you've done specific courses within a certain amount of time.
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
In the qualifications section yes you'd have to say when the courses started. Unis want to see that you've done specific courses within a certain amount of time.

Hi are you 100% sure about this because I’ve asked a similar question on here before and was told that you didn’t have to state when you started the course?

If you have to list your start date, what if you have done an accredited course (not talking about GCSEs here), via distance learning, and have done the course part time over three or four years? Does that look bad to the universities?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by moon4
Hi are you 100% sure about this because I’ve asked a similar question on here before and was told that you didn’t have to state when you started the course?

If you have to list your start date, what if you have done an accredited course (not talking about GCSEs here), via distance learning, and have done the course part time over three or four years? Does that look bad to the universities?

As I said unis need to know how long it's taken you to do a course so in that section there will be start and end dates and mode of study i.e full or part time. Not sure what you asked earlier, what the context was and who answered you. Unis will take into account how long you should spend doing something vs how long you actually did.
Reply 4
As I said unis need to know how long it's taken you to do a course so in that section there will be start and end dates and mode of study i.e full or part time. Not sure what you asked earlier, what the context was and who answered you. Unis will take into account how long you should spend doing something vs how long you actually did.

So what if you have done a course over 3 or 4 years via distance learning? That same course would take about 1 year if taken by attending an institution. Does it look bad to universities if you have taken 3 or 4 years to complete the course, but it was taken via Distance learning ?
Original post by moon4
So what if you have done a course over 3 or 4 years via distance learning? That same course would take about 1 year if taken by attending an institution. Does it look bad to universities if you have taken 3 or 4 years to complete the course, but it was taken via Distance learning ?

Well not if by distance learning it's supposed to take that long.
Reply 6
Well not if by distance learning it's supposed to take that long.

But I’ve had to take an extended period out of my distance learning course because of health issues? So it will have taken longer to complete then I originally thought it would?
Original post by moon4
But I’ve had to take an extended period out of my distance learning course because of health issues? So it will have taken longer to complete then I originally thought it would?

Well the evidence needs to go in the extenuating circumstances section of your application and your referee needs to explain this.
Original post by moon4

UCAS asks for your dates of attendance/study at each educational body you studied at. You then add the qualifications that were awarded while you studied at those schools/colleges and the date of award for each of those qualifications.
Reply 9
Original post by PQ
UCAS asks for your dates of attendance/study at each educational body you studied at. You then add the qualifications that were awarded while you studied at those schools/colleges and the date of award for each of those qualifications.

How would you state the “dates of attendance” if you did courses via distance learning?
Reply 10
Well the evidence needs to go in the extenuating circumstances section of your application and your referee needs to explain this.

Do you know if universities generally look at you negatively if you have taken extended time on a course due to health reasons?
Original post by moon4
How would you state the “dates of attendance” if you did courses via distance learning?

You'd put the date you started studying and the date you finished studying and your mode of attendance as part time.

You can start filling in a UCAS application now for 2019 entry - it's much easier if you actually give it a go and then ask if you get stuck rather than asking about what-ifs
Original post by moon4
Do you know if universities generally look at you negatively if you have taken extended time on a course due to health reasons?

It sounds like you’re now just looking for someone to say yes unis will look at your application negatively. There’s a whole agenda around widening participation and equality and diversity so as PQ has said start working on your application and go from there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending