The Student Room Group

Non-Medical Jobs After Graduation

Just wondering if anyone's heard of any anecdotes or knows of medical students who have gone on to do other jobs after graduation instead of going into FY1 etc.

You hear about students going into business/finance with medical degrees but not sure how real that is.
You can go into finance and business. I knew a teacher who was a doctor by degree but a teacher by profession and now she's a civil servant.
I have a friend who works in public health in a third world country, who has never done any clinical medicine (went abroad straight after uni). Another friend did a masters and PhD and now does pure research. Someone I know who is just graduating plans to open up a cafe.
I have encountered quite a few. Quite a range of different careers/lifestyles/reasons for not going into medicine. People over think the whole non-medical careers thing. Your opinions are on par with any other graduate.

It's like saying - what can one do with an MPhys? Loads of things - teaching, academia, research, industry, self-employment, grad scheme at a supermarket, teach English in Thailand for a few years to 'find yourself'... The vast majority of graduates have to answer these questions - it's only the rare ones like us lucky medics who get to jump straight onto a ready made career ladder!

There are far more career pathways that don't require a specific degree than those like medicine that do. Even if they do, most people who can manage a medical degree will find it straightforward to put in a bit of extra study to bridge a gap, e.g. postgrad law qualification or something.In terms of specific examples... quite a few who went into 'proper science' research, a couple who did PhDs related to computing and now work in that field, some working in pharma - medical related but not clinical, teaching,...
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
I have a friend who works in public health in a third world country, who has never done any clinical medicine (went abroad straight after uni). Another friend did a masters and PhD and now does pure research. Someone I know who is just graduating plans to open up a cafe.

Do you know any more about how your friend got into doing public health abroad?

Quick Reply