The Student Room Group

Coughing

Hello folks,
About 2 weeks ago I had persistent coughing I went to the doctor and he requested an X-ray I did the imaging and was diagnosed with pneumonia, I took a prescribed antibiotics and the infection went away. However, I still cough severely. Given that the doctor did another X-ray to make sure the infection went away, should I be worried?
If the X-ray showed nothing of significance, then no. Likely psychological, move on son.
Thankss
Original post by Ramzi Zeidan
Hello folks,
About 2 weeks ago I had persistent coughing I went to the doctor and he requested an X-ray I did the imaging and was diagnosed with pneumonia, I took a prescribed antibiotics and the infection went away. However, I still cough severely. Given that the doctor did another X-ray to make sure the infection went away, should I be worried?

It can take several weeks for the cough to go away after pneumonia resolves.
Reply 4
Hello folks,

Coughing after pneumonia is normal. Repeating the XR is standard protocol. Its technically to look for lung cancer but its very unlikely.
Hello folks,

I honestly had the same problem recently. I had a really bad cough for about 3 weeks and last week on Thursday I began to feel ill. So on sat I could barely get out of bed physically and went to my local hospital. Within 30 mins of being there I collapsed and vomited... was taken to Stoke Mandeville, got some blood tests and X-ray done and they diagnosed it as a minor pneumonia. So it could take up up to 6 weeks for the cough to go away so there’s nothing to be worried about. Although I still feel like crap, especially when today is my A level maths exam 😭😭😭. Bloody medication makes me drowsy and cant even concentrate properly. But dw its normal for the cough to hang around for a bit :smile:))
Sweet lord, dude!!! Feel well soon, I sympathize with you, it really does feel awful, I feel like my head is gonna blow off, it is terrible!! Feel well soon, and good luck on your exam!!
Original post by Anonymous
Coughing after pneumonia is normal. Repeating the XR is standard protocol. Its technically to look for lung cancer but its very unlikely.

I will not have lung cancer right ? ;P

Quick Reply