username3766884
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi,
My boyfriend wants to apply to Loughborough to study computer science but there’s a bit of a dilemma. He doesn’t study A level maths and so his only option is to take AS level maths in 6.2 on top of his other three A levels and achieve ABB with an A in AS maths.

He could instead apply for a foundation year but this would make his degree four years rather than three. Obviously though this is the easier option.

What would you recommend? Taking AS maths is a risk as if he didn’t achieve an A he might have to defer a year and still take the foundation course, making his degree effectively five years long rather than four if he just applied for the foundation year straight away.

What’s the better option? Take a risk and hope it pays off or just play it safe and take the foundation year? Could he apply for both at the same time (straight computer science and foundation year computer science)?

Hope this makes sense!

(He doesn’t have a TSR account hence why I’m posting 😅)
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by megan.louiseeee)
Hi,
My boyfriend wants to apply to Loughborough to study computer science but there’s a bit of a dilemma. He doesn’t study A level maths and so his only option is to take AS level maths in 6.2 on top of his other three A levels and achieve ABB with an A in AS maths.

He could instead apply for a foundation year but this would make his degree four years rather than three. Obviously though this is the easier option.

What would you recommend? Taking AS maths is a risk as if he didn’t achieve an A he might have to defer a year and still take the foundation course, making his degree effectively five years long rather than four if he just applied for the foundation year straight away.

What’s the better option? Take a risk and hope it pays off or just play it safe and take the foundation year? Could he apply for both at the same time (straight computer science and foundation year computer science)?

Hope this makes sense!
He could take AS level Maths and then go on to the full A level if he didnt get the grade rather than foundation level. Also there are a number of universities that take students without A level Maths. Perhaps he could look into that. I believe Lancaster is one who require Computing Alevel. If he is sporty he could look at Swansea.

he
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi,

Hope this makes sense!
Why Loughborough? There's universities that don't require A-level Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username3766884
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Why Loughborough? There's universities that don't require A-level Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
He’s a national athlete with hopes of going international

He’s also been offered a scholarship in America too so this is really the only UK university he’s interested in
27username
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
tkae the foundation year option. there is no rush to complete the degree right away and the foundation year will also be a good way to adjust to the universities requirements and uni life in general. who wants to rush into the world of work?
username3766884
Rep:
?
(Original post by 27username)
tkae the foundation year option. there is no rush to complete the degree right away and the foundation year will also be a good way to adjust to the universities requirements and uni life in general. who wants to rush into the world of work?
That’s what I told him, thanks 😅
It would stress me out too if he took on the stress of AS maths on top of his other A levels since I’ve heard stories of people who got 9s at GCSE now getting D’s 😬 he got a 7 for reference
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
He’s a national athlete with hopes of going international

He’s also been offered a scholarship in America too so this is really the only UK university he’s interested in
Take the L'boro Foundation or go US on a sports scholarship. :yy:
Loughborough University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi,

Hope this makes sense!

(He doesn’t have a TSR account hence why I’m posting 😅)
Hi megan.louiseeee

If he wants to come to Loughborough he could do the foundation course as others have said.
It would be the most straightforward option for him to study here. Info here: http://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/undergr...puter-science/
Have a look on our Loughborough forum here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=125 and if he has anymore questions he can ask on there.
If he's been offered a scholarship to study in the US - that's got to be worth considering too.

Good luck with his decision
Vicky
username3766884
Rep:
?
(Original post by Loughborough University)
Hi megan.louiseeee

If he wants to come to Loughborough he could do the foundation course as others have said.
It would be the most straightforward option for him to study here. Info here: http://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/undergr...puter-science/
Have a look on our Loughborough forum here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=125 and if he has anymore questions he can ask on there.
If he's been offered a scholarship to study in the US - that's got to be worth considering too.

Good luck with his decision
Vicky
Thank you for that
He spoke to the school today and has decided he’s going to try AS level maths up until October/November time and see how he’s progressing. If he’s on track to achieve the right grades then he’ll continue with it but if he’s struggling then there’s still time to apply for the foundation course.

Thank you for the help though
Loughborough University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you for that
He spoke to the school today and has decided he’s going to try AS level maths up until October/November time and see how he’s progressing. If he’s on track to achieve the right grades then he’ll continue with it but if he’s struggling then there’s still time to apply for the foundation course.

Thank you for the help though
No problem - good luck to him, hope all works out
Vicky
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (4)
28.57%
I'm not sure (0)
0%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (4)
28.57%
I have already dropped out (0)
0%
I'm not a current university student (6)
42.86%

Watched Threads