2 years into my Pharmacy degree and I want to drop out Watch

Anam
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey guys, I am studying pharmacy at Liverpool I will be going into my 3rd Year soon. However, I never liked the degree from the start I only chose it because science was my strong point and because I thought it would be easy to get a job with pharmacy. I love learning about the drugs etc but career wise I feel it isn’t for me. I’m getting depressed because of the course, I’m not happy. Should I drop out? I don’t have any alternatives though
MyGEMJourney
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
thats a hard one, how are you performing grades wise?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Anam
Rep:
?
(Original post by SteveForfar)
thats a hard one, how are you performing grades wise?
I’ve been okay with grades getting firsts and 2:1s mainly I’ve never had to resit, I just don’t like the course at all
MyGEMJourney
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would personally say continue, only because you seem academically competent so should be able to come out with a 2:1/1st. The skills you learn in the degree are transferable to so many jobs! You’ll have numerical skills and data analysis, communicating complicated ideas, academic writing etc. You’d be able to get a job in many different fields!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
annanas45
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would say continue. One year isnt very long, I know it may seem that way when youre depressed and miserable, but a degree opens so many more options, that dont necessarily relate to your field. E.g. a detective, or you could do a masters in a similar but different subject (they are usually qute flexible with this) after your degree and a get a job in that field
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If your grades are good and you don't have another course you want to switch to, why don't you stick with it until the end of third year?
Pharmacy is not the most exciting thing in the world to study.
But it is a well respected subject and employers do like to see it on cv's.
Dropping out with no alternative study plans and gaps on cv's really don't look good.

Your marks show how good you are at the subject, the problem seems to be social.
Why not look around the student union for societies you can join, events you can attend to make new friends.
That way you won't feel so depressed or lonely.
With a good degree you can choose a postgraduate course you really enjoy.

All the best.
Justmac
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Like others I would say continue. I went through a similar phase in second year, hated my course and decided that I wanted to take my career in a different direction. Also cried after a seminar because I was so stressed about it (to the lecturer i basically aspire to be... she's also really fit) so yeah super embarrassing. Honestly stick at it and just power through the last year. If possible, angle remaining modules towards your interests. You can always do a masters in something else which is what i am doing.
Anam
Rep:
?
Thank you guys for your advice, I’m still a little confused as to what I should do but I’ll think about it some more. The main reason is the work load that we have to do which is quite stressful, one thing I hate is too much stress lol and the amount of coursework, competencies and material we have to revise is insane. But I will try 😭
crazy.chemist
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Finish it but then instead of doing a pre-reg go and do something else, and just treat it as a general science degree.
marinade
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Finish it. In society in general there is a lot of kudos in pharmacy, so with the degree you'll be able to capitalise on this.

Also there's ignorance out there about MPharm, some think it's a proper postgraduate master's degree lol. Never lie and don't be pompous like some pharmacists are about it, but you can take advantage of this ignorance in the population have not realising that it's just a bog standard science undergrad degree. It'll steer things slightly to your advantage when applying for jobs.

Just a couple of years and it can help you onto what you want.

If you ever changed your mind check the pharmacy regs, I think it's up to something like 5 year window you have to become a pharmacist?
nisha.sri
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What career are you planning to go into ? Hospital pharmacists etc... You could always do something else after your degree as a postgrad
Alexnicklen96
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Finish it. There are many master's degrees that accept a 2:1 in any subject so you can change career path via that route. Plus the skills you've learnt during your degree are very transferable as others have said.
John mck
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I got a friend he got a 1st in his pharmacy degree at ucl. He's currently doing 1 year work placement at a local pharmacy, great pay but he told me biggest regret of his life. Dont worry you aint alone, i recommend you to smash ur exams and maybe find a new career path you'd enjoy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (155)
17.63%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.65%
No I am happy with my course choice (521)
59.27%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.45%

Watched Threads