The Student Room Group

May refuses to back Hunt on changing medicinal cannabis laws

Scroll to see replies

Original post by the beer
So we're just going to ignore the huge increase in drug deaths?

no, we are going to reduce the number of drug deaths by reducing the number of drug takers.
Original post by TimmonaPortella

Can anyone direct me to someone whom I might vote for if I want the government to stay out of my business and stop helping itself to more of my money? Because I am completely at a loss at the minute.

Go build an Ayn Rand utopia under the sea?
(edited 5 years ago)
Hinduism supports canabis. Where did this conservatism come from?
Original post by nulli tertius
no, we are going to reduce the number of drug deaths by reducing the number of drug takers.

[video="youtube;YIlL0T2yTss"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIlL0T2yTss[/video]
The government does not as Javid explained today regard prohibition as a failed policy and the falling numbers of drug takers in the UK would suggest that this is right. Indeed, it may well be the legalisation of cannabis in the USA with no limits on strength that has brought about the prevalence of skunk. the 95% figure is widely quoted and based on police seizures.

The first states to legalise cannabis did so in 2012 - the 'skunk' panic has been around a lot longer than that, as have UK-grown high grade strains. And why point fingers at America when the Netherlands, with their annual 'cannabis cup' - basically a competition to see who can grow the 'best' weed - is a stone's throw away and have been at it far longer?

It's hardly a secret that the government favours prohibition, so I'm not sure what your point is there, however it seems relevant that both alcohol and tobacco consumption have also been in decline, pointing toward a broader trend away from psychoactive substances. It simply isn't as cool as it used to be. And despite the fall in usage, cannabis is more readily available than ever before. It's openly sold on Instagram, for god's sake. So, given the desultory enforcement of the law, it seems entirely disingenuous to attribute the decline to prohibition without any clear evidence for such a link.
Original post by MuthalGanesan2
Hinduism supports canabis. Where did this conservatism come from?

We invented puritans.

But... We've done that, and deaths have increased?

See what I mean about being a failed policy?
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
We invented puritans.

The left-wing in India are actually descended from the Colonial Old Money Middle Class.

These people were moneyed by the British colonial elite. They were educated under the British so support secularism and sympathise with Chrisitnaity, so therefore are left-wing and against Hindu Nationalism.

But these people were also quite regressive. For example, there were the most homophobic lobby and even nowadays only token homosexuality related issues. They are corrupt and are willing to be racist against Indian
Original post by TheMcSame
I question the story in it's entirety... CBD oil has consistently been shown to help with seizures. Has she tried CBD oil that doesn't contain more THC than the legal limit? If not, why not? CBD, providing the THC levels are below the legal limit, is 100% legal here in the UK. Unless she's tried UK legal CBD oil, it just seems like she's making a big issue over her own ignorance

I doubt that we know sufficient facts to impute propagandistic motives to her, or the cynical manipulation of her own child's pain and suffering to make a point, which seems deeply implausible. Far more plausible is that you prefer to spread pointless trolling conspiradroid rumours than to consider that she might in fact be right.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Go build an Ayn Rand utopia under the sea?

So you now support Mrs May's position that the state should control, for your own good, what you may or may not smoke?

Because you're being quite inconsistent.
The government does not as Javid explained today regard prohibition as a failed policy and the falling numbers of drug takers in the UK would suggest that this is right. Indeed, it may well be the legalisation of cannabis in the USA with no limits on strength that has brought about the prevalence of skunk. the 95% figure is widely quoted and based on police seizures.

Back in 2014, the government commissioned an eleven-country study of the effects of cannabis legalisation, signed off by none other than Theresa May, which showed positive results overall for legalisation and no proven link to increased usage.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/oct/30/drug-laws-international-study-tough-policy-use-problem

How sad that ministers cannot even use objective evidence to frame decision making that they themselves previously agreed to, preferring instead the knee jerk responses of reactionary media and some idiots on their own backbenches to guide policy.

Of course, being a cynic, it would also cost a lot of money to move to a non-criminal system and this might be an objection, as well as negatively affecting employment rates in the substantial legal machine currently devoted to prosecuting people for dealing marijuana.
So you now support Mrs May's position that the state should control, for your own good, what you may or may not smoke?

Because you're being quite inconsistent.

Are you saying there are only two positions on what the state should be in politics? Anarchism on the one hand and North Korea on the other?

I don't think the state should be outlawing cannabis. Escpecially so for medicinal use. I do however think it should be taking some of your money off you to fund a health service. If canabis was legal the state could take even more money off you by taxing that green! XD
(edited 5 years ago)
Great. Force manufacturers to stick that on the labels, then, if you want. Beyond that, mind your own business.

Can anyone direct me to someone whom I might vote for if I want the government to stay out of my business and stop helping itself to more of my money? Because I am completely at a loss at the minute.

There is actually a libertarian party in the UK. Were it not for FPTP, a party like that might have far more success.
Teresa may is ****ing old and thick
Big Pharma wants it illegal, so it will stay illegal.
Facts
Original post by Libtardian
Big Pharma wants it illegal, so it will stay illegal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending