The Student Room Group

2.1 with distinction? Should I specify it on my CV?

So, I've just completed a joint honours degree in Linguistics and Spanish, and when I called up to get my degree result, they told me I got a 2.1 with a distinction in Spanish. I guess that's cool and all, but I'm not entirely sure what the distinction was granted for. I'm also not sure whether I should specify the distinction on my CV or if that would be an unnecessary detail.
I would have thought that the distinction means you were a high enough standard in Spanish to get a First - as often distinction and First class are used in the same way (eg. First class at Master's level is often called a distinction).

If this is the case, it may be nice to put that the Spanish part of your degree was at distinction level, especially if you are applying for something where the Spanish proficiency is desirable for the job. But the university should be able to explain to you what the distinction actually means.
Reply 2
Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking of applying for jobs as an advertising copywriter (in English), so the Spanish isn't massively significant, but I suppose I may well list the distinction just as an extra little something.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending