best ALLOWED graphic calculator for A-level? Watch

This discussion is closed.
madima
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
because it makes life so much easier, i decided to buy a graphic calculator so that i can check my answers in the exam. however, i'm in a bit of dilemma because i don't know which ones are allowed by edexcel and which ones aren't. could anyone suggest the best possible graphic calculator for a-level maths and further maths?
Thaiprawns
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I would go for TI-83 it works well and easy to use.
trance addict
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
its also programmable (banned?) and costs a bomb.. how my school afforded to supply me one during yr9 maths sats paper is anyones guess
Kyalimers
Badges: 21
Report 11 years ago
yh it is banned - casio fx summin plus is good check the casio website
Frater
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by sohanshah)
yh it is banned - casio fx summin plus is good check the casio website
Casio FX-83ES I think, best calculator I have ever used, and still do. It isn't graphical, but if you know how to use it, its a great help.
alex_hk90
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Is the Casio FX-991ES allowed for A-level exams?
I think it should be but I've heard some people say it isn't. :confused:
dramaminedreams
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I rock a FX-9860G Plus and its really easy to use (although it lacks a CAS but that's not too much of a problem)
badeninc
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Oh yes the Casio FX-83ES + solar panel is quality the way it has fractions all laid out helps alot
shimmyjimmy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Those casio ones are good, I have the FX-83ES, but the graphical calculator which my friend has frankly does the questions for him. Draws the graph, points of intersection etc.

I know you can do a lot on the FX-83ES but not quite to the standard of those graphical calculators. I forget what model his is, but it cost him about 40 quid through his school. I thought it was cheating the first time I saw it.

I think having one earlier would have made me extremely lazy though so I am kind of glad I just have the 'standard' casio FX-83ES.

EDIT: I think he uses the CFX9850GC+
madima
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by shimmyjimmy)
Those casio ones are good, I have the FX-83ES, but the graphical calculator which my friend has frankly does the questions for him. Draws the graph, points of intersection etc.

I know you can do a lot on the FX-83ES but not quite to the standard of those graphical calculators. I forget what model his is, but it cost him about 40 quid through his school. I thought it was cheating the first time I saw it.

I think having one earlier would have made me extremely lazy though so I am kind of glad I just have the 'standard' casio FX-83ES.

EDIT: I think he uses the CFX9850GC+
snap! that's the one i was just thinking about buying. is it allowed by edexcel in exams?
v-zero
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
TI-84 Silver Edition (or at least that's what I've got...) .
JoMo1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
991ES, awesome calculator, not graphical, but does a hell of alot the graphicals do, I probably should be looking into buying one for Uni though considering I want to do maths.....
HCD
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The odds are, the invigilators won't go around checking calculator model numbers, or even have a clue. Never had one myself, but other people have "cheated" with "illegal" ones.
elle10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Is Casio CFX 9850 GC plus allowed on the ocr exams Maths ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Casio-CFX985...7065032&sr=8-7
yusufu
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by JoMo1)
991ES, awesome calculator, not graphical, but does a hell of alot the graphicals do, I probably should be looking into buying one for Uni though considering I want to do maths.....
Hmmm. I don't have a graphical calculator, and, as yet, I haven't ever needed to use one!
Guinny
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Casio fx-7400G PLUS

Programmable, but I think it's really complicated - teacher recommended it and insisted that it was allowed even though I think it can differentiate... @[email protected] Costs a bomb unless you have a nice maths department (:
Kyalimers
Badges: 21
Report 11 years ago
Wigh up the adv. and the disadv. The adv. If you don't get caught then you'll get 5 extra marks most. If you do you lose 1 A-Level. Hmmmmm.
alex_hk90
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Guinny)
Casio fx-7400G PLUS

Programmable, but I think it's really complicated - teacher recommended it and insisted that it was allowed even though I think it can differentiate... @[email protected] Costs a bomb unless you have a nice maths department (:
If that's the £40 basic CASIO graphical calculator that everywhere sells then it is allowed and it cannot perform symbolic differentiation or integration. I should know because I have one. However, you do have to delete any stored programs before the exam because it is programmable.
Guinny
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by alex_hk90)
If that's the £40 basic CASIO graphical calculator that everywhere sells then it is allowed
That's probably it (: £40? My school's trying to sell it for £70 @[email protected]

Not symbolic differentiation, but it can do differential calculations none the less ~
Totally Tom
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
ye, but you'll be dead before you figure out how to get it to do that.

hrumph sodding calculator...
X
Back
to top

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (11)
9.17%
Disagree (6)
5%
Neither agree or disagree (40)
33.33%
Agree (46)
38.33%
Strongly Agree (17)
14.17%

Watched Threads