The Student Room Group

Is it possible to be predicted AAA with CCC at AS level?

I'm hoping to apply for medicine in October but I have a feeling that I will probably getting a C at the most after my mock exams. All the universities are asking for AAA and I want to know if it would be reasonable to be predicted this with the grades I got this year?
Original post by Coraw
I'm hoping to apply for medicine in October but I have a feeling that I will probably getting a C at the most after my mock exams. All the universities are asking for AAA and I want to know if it would be reasonable to be predicted this with the grades I got this year?

This is something you should ask your teachers, only they can give you a firm answer.
Original post by Coraw

Your teachers will set your predicted grades, so you will have to ask them and explain your situation to them. I have to be honest, I know that some universities are catching on to the fact that many teachers "exaggerate" predicted grades, and when you declare your AS results (if you get what you're saying), the university may smell a rat.

Nevertheless, I hope you do really well and wish you the best of luck for your results in August. Try not to doubt yourself!
No reasonable teacher would predict you AAA based on CCC mocks. You'd only get that if 1: your teachers are unreasonable or 2: you have a really exceptional circumstance that lead to those grades.
Teachers are professionals and covered by their professional body's rules which means they should only predict what is reasonably likely to happen. No teacher should up grades by 2 unless they have very good reason. I would also wonder whether even if they did whether someone would achieve those grades
you could if you bribe them
Original post by Coraw

Are you sitting actual AS exams, as you mention these in the title of your thread? If so, these are qualifications in their own right and have to be listed on your UCAS form, so unis would view AAA predictions as unrealistic.

If they are just mocks, I would still be thinking about a plan B. Getting the predictions won't help if you don't make the grade.
Original post by lolokmatewe
you could if you bribe them

and then the teacher risks being struck off and may never work as a teacher again.
Original post by Coraw

Imo no and even if you managed it, then I feel the unis wouldnt believe it.

If you want to save yourself a lot of grief and a whole lot of pain, then you will sort out the difference between C to A and then work hard over the summer to start putting things right if you are serious about wanting a medical career.

Get the grades this time round and apply in a gap year. You must avoid resits at all costs.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Are you sitting actual AS exams, as you mention these in the title of your thread? If so, these are qualifications in their own right and have to be listed on your UCAS form, so unis would view AAA predictions as unrealistic.

If they are just mocks, I would still be thinking about a plan B. Getting the predictions won't help if you don't make the grade.

I'm doing the new spec so I'm just doing internal exams. They're not official ones.
Original post by 999tigger
Imo no and even if you managed it, then I feel the unis wouldnt believe it.

If you want to save yourself a lot of grief and a whole lot of pain, then you will sort out the difference between C to A and then work hard over the summer to start putting things right if you are serious about wanting a medical career.

Get the grades this time round and apply in a gap year. You must avoid resits at all costs.

I am serious about it. I was asking because I've almost got the other requirements (6 WE placements and 4 Volunteering positions) I can do well on the BMAT/UKCAT, I just know it. I think the reason why I got CCC was because my revision methods were ineffective and I have since rectified that. All I need to be able to apply is the predicted grades, which I know I can reach. I've exceeded expectations when it comes to grades before and I think I can do it again.
Original post by Coraw
I am serious about it. I was asking because I've almost got the other requirements (6 WE placements and 4 Volunteering positions) I can do well on the BMAT/UKCAT, I just know it. I think the reason why I got CCC was because my revision methods were ineffective and I have since rectified that. All I need to be able to apply is the predicted grades, which I know I can reach. I've exceeded expectations when it comes to grades before and I think I can do it again.

Medicine courses are vastly oversubscribed and the very best applicants sometimes get rejected. I very much doubt you would jump from CCC to AAA and most successful medicine applicants are likely to exceed AAA. Failure to revise effectively is not a reason for any teacher to increase the predicted grades in this way. If you believe you can achieve these results apply with your actual grades and take a gap year.
Original post by Coraw

If you get CCC I wouldnt bother and then apply and then apply after the grades. Not the end of the world.
Original post by Coraw
I'm doing the new spec so I'm just doing internal exams. They're not official ones.

If you're just doing internal exams I suppose it's theoretically possible to get your school to predict you AAA.

Between now and the end of term, it would be a good idea to speak to your teachers and ask how you can improve your grade next year. Ask for some suggestions of things to do over the summer holidays- and then do them. It may be possible to get your teachers to let you sit another mock exam in September.

However, it's still very probable that your teachers won't believe you can increase your grades in this way and won't predict you an A. Your school may also have internal policies that prevent this.

In that case, if you are really committed to medicine, you will probably need to take a gap year and apply once you have your grades.

What are your GCSEs like?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending