The Student Room Group

MSc Medical Microbiology - Manchester or LSHTM

Hi everyone, I'm an intercalating medical student with offers to study at both Manchester university, and London school of hygiene and tropical medicine.

I was quite taken back by my offer for LSHTM as I've heard its a really impressive school, I know Manchester seems like a great uni as well.

I'm able to afford Manchester, and possibly London but it will also mean living as cheap as possible and basically in squalor for a while :smile:

So I suppose I was just wondering if anyone has any experience in either of these courses or experience at LSHTM since I'm yet to know anyone who's went there. Manchester seems like the city for me, London not so much. However the degree is the most important so I don't mind too much. I can't find too much information on the Manchester modules etc, but LSHTM has optionals and placement for 3 months which look great.

Anyway tl;dr I want some advice from anyone completing this course or experience with LSHTM to make my decision.
Hi alternate-end - congratulations on receiving an offer to study with us at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine!

You're right, our MSc Medical Microbiology does offer a reasonable amount of module choice, and also the option to focus more on bacteriology or virology. This all comes together in the summer research project, which will be on a topic of your own choosing and could be based either at the School, another institution in the UK (e.g. Public Health England), or overseas. You can see some examples of recent summer projects here.

Additionally, studying at the School will give you access to a fantastic network of world-leading microbiology and public health experts; for example, the MSc programme director is also co-director of our Antimicrobial Resistance Centre, so you would be able to keep in touch with all the latest research happening here.

If you want to get in touch with some of our current MSc Medical Microbiology students, we have several among our student ambassadors. They will be very happy to answer any questions you have at the programme and life at the School.

Best wishes
Tom

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending