The Student Room Group

A Level choices

Hi there! I’ve recently just finished my GCSE exams and I’m quite confused with my A level choices! I have currently chosen English Literature, Business Studies and Sociolgy. I’m definitely happy with my choice for sociology however I’m confused about whether English literature is right for me. Throughout the year I got a Grade 6 in my mocks and I’m currently not sure if I’ll be suited for it at A level.

If someone could tell me their personal experience with English Literature at A level that would be much appreciated thank you!
I personally didn't do English Literature at A-Level but my two best friends did and they had a hard time because their teacher wasn't great. Honestly, your teacher can make or break the course for you but even with a bad teacher if you enjoy it enough and are motivated by the subject you should do well.
If you're unsure, try it out and if you really aren't enjoying it/doing well, ask to be moved to a different subject.
The earlier you move, the better, so don't hesitate if you think the course isn't for you because every lesson of A-Level is precious so you don't want to be stuck with too much work to do on catching up if you do decide to move to another subject.
Either that or, if your school offers it, take 4 A-Levels at first and then you can drop the one you don't like the most (although not all schools will offer this)
Original post by jmfllws0010
I personally didn't do English Literature at A-Level but my two best friends did and they had a hard time because their teacher wasn't great. Honestly, your teacher can make or break the course for you but even with a bad teacher if you enjoy it enough and are motivated by the subject you should do well.
If you're unsure, try it out and if you really aren't enjoying it/doing well, ask to be moved to a different subject.
The earlier you move, the better, so don't hesitate if you think the course isn't for you because every lesson of A-Level is precious so you don't want to be stuck with too much work to do on catching up if you do decide to move to another subject.
Either that or, if your school offers it, take 4 A-Levels at first and then you can drop the one you don't like the most (although not all schools will offer this)

Thank you so much! I will definitely try english literature out I will change it if I don’t like it as our school is reluctant to let us do 4 A levels

Quick Reply

Latest