The Student Room Group

Lower back/pelvic pain

About a month and a half ago I cam down with something which caused a lymph node in my groin to swell quite badly (as well as a few more in the area). At the same time as this happening I noticed that whenever I sat down in bed with my legs extended, after a while when I try to get up or change position I would have an aching pain on that side of my lower back/pelvis. I think the pain is just to the left of near the bottom of my spine.

Whatever I cam down with has cleared up and the lymph node has pretty much gone back to normal but I still get this pain.

I only ever get this pain after I sit in that position. It doesn't appear to be triggered by anything else and whilst pressing on the area after is rather sore, pressing on it any other time doesn't hurt. It's not a radiating pain, it's in the same spot each time and my mobility isn't impaired.

I'm not really sure what to do. I only have a week in my university town before I go home for the summer and whilst I can easily get a same day appointment with the GP, I'm not sure it it's important enough a problem to even be looked into right now, especially since I'll then be going away for about three months. Does anyone have any idea what it could be and what I should do? :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
About a month and a half ago I cam down with something which caused a lymph node in my groin to swell quite badly (as well as a few more in the area). At the same time as this happening I noticed that whenever I sat down in bed with my legs extended, after a while when I try to get up or change position I would have an aching pain on that side of my lower back/pelvis. I think the pain is just to the left of near the bottom of my spine.

Whatever I cam down with has cleared up and the lymph node has pretty much gone back to normal but I still get this pain.

I only ever get this pain after I sit in that position. It doesn't appear to be triggered by anything else and whilst pressing on the area after is rather sore, pressing on it any other time doesn't hurt. It's not a radiating pain, it's in the same spot each time and my mobility isn't impaired.

I'm not really sure what to do. I only have a week in my university town before I go home for the summer and whilst I can easily get a same day appointment with the GP, I'm not sure it it's important enough a problem to even be looked into right now, especially since I'll then be going away for about three months. Does anyone have any idea what it could be and what I should do? :smile:

I have done a bit of research for you but I still think that you should go to the doctors In case your current situation worsens.

Radiculopathy is a condition caused by compression, inflammation and/or injury to a spinal nerve root. Pressure on the nerve root results in pain, numbness, or a tingling sensation that travels or radiates to other areas of the body that are served by that nerve. Radiculopathy may occur when spinal stenosis or a herniated or ruptured disc compresses the nerve root.

Sciatica is a form of radiculopathy caused by compression of the sciatic nerve, the large nerve that travels through the buttocks and extends down the back of the leg. This compression causes shock-like or burning low back pain combined with pain through the buttocks and down one leg, occasionally reaching the foot. In the most extreme cases, when the nerve is pinched between the disc and the adjacent bone, the symptoms may involve not only pain, but numbness and muscle weakness in the leg because of interrupted nerve signaling. The condition may also be caused by a tumor or cyst that presses on the sciatic nerve or its roots.

I hope this may help but you should still see the GP👌🏼 lot's of luck.
Reply 2
Original post by London090
I have done a bit of research for you but I still think that you should go to the doctors In case your current situation worsens.

Radiculopathy is a condition caused by compression, inflammation and/or injury to a spinal nerve root. Pressure on the nerve root results in pain, numbness, or a tingling sensation that travels or radiates to other areas of the body that are served by that nerve. Radiculopathy may occur when spinal stenosis or a herniated or ruptured disc compresses the nerve root.

Sciatica is a form of radiculopathy caused by compression of the sciatic nerve, the large nerve that travels through the buttocks and extends down the back of the leg. This compression causes shock-like or burning low back pain combined with pain through the buttocks and down one leg, occasionally reaching the foot. In the most extreme cases, when the nerve is pinched between the disc and the adjacent bone, the symptoms may involve not only pain, but numbness and muscle weakness in the leg because of interrupted nerve signaling. The condition may also be caused by a tumor or cyst that presses on the sciatic nerve or its roots.

I hope this may help but you should still see the GP👌🏼 lot's of luck.

These are interesting, but as far as I'm aware I have no other associated symptoms :smile:
Period?
Reply 4
Period?

No where near where I'd normally have period pains and it happens whenever I sit in that position.
Just go to your GP and get this checked out.

The uncertainty in your mind shows that subconsciously you have real fears over this.

Peace of mind is worth everything.

herpes can cause you lymph nodes to swell and nerve type pains. you don't necessarily get the ulcers.

Quick Reply