Lukem14
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, I was just wondering what philosophy involves. What do you study?
that_guy874
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've been doing AQA AS Philosophy as an extension to my A-Levels (Physics, Maths & Chemistry), so I do it over two years but it is very interesting so far.

The concepts that I've covered thus far are:
What knowledge actually is in terms of its foundations, so what is required for actual knowledge.

Theories of perception - Does a world external of my mind exist? Is God required for a world to exist? Do we experience the world directly?

Reason as a source of knowledge - How do we learn new concepts and ideas? Do we learn them through experiencing them, through reason or do we know them already but we don't have access to them>

The content is fairly simple if your notes are condensed but the mark schemes focus heavily on exam technique making it my most difficult subject after physics as it is my only essay subject. It is also quite pretentious but still very interesting nonetheless.
Lukem14
Rep:
?
(Original post by that_guy874)
I've been doing AQA AS Philosophy as an extension to my A-Levels (Physics, Maths & Chemistry), so I do it over two years but it is very interesting so far.

The concepts that I've covered thus far are:
What knowledge actually is in terms of its foundations, so what is required for actual knowledge.

Theories of perception - Does a world external of my mind exist? Is God required for a world to exist? Do we experience the world directly?

Reason as a source of knowledge - How do we learn new concepts and ideas? Do we learn them through experiencing them, through reason or do we know them already but we don't have access to them>

The content is fairly simple if your notes are condensed but the mark schemes focus heavily on exam technique making it my most difficult subject after physics as it is my only essay subject. It is also quite pretentious but still very interesting nonetheless.
Thanks it sounds really interesting, I've also been considering; ancient history, sociology and psychology.
that_guy874
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Lukem14)
Thanks it sounds really interesting, I've also been considering; ancient history, sociology and psychology.
No problem!

It ties in well with psychology at AS Level anyway, especially when looking at memory and how we gain knowledge of the world.
It should also link in with both sociology and psychology if you look at moral philosophy and whether morals are social constructs or innate human feelings and thoughts.
Lukem14
Rep:
?
(Original post by that_guy874)
No problem!

It ties in well with psychology at AS Level anyway, especially when looking at memory and how we gain knowledge of the world.
It should also link in with both sociology and psychology if you look at moral philosophy and whether morals are social constructs or innate human feelings and thoughts.
Yh they all seem really similar but I don't know if that's good or bad
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (594)
34%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (726)
41.56%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (348)
19.92%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.52%

Watched Threads