The Student Room Group

Student Bank Account Overdraft Questions

Hi there

So I am a soon-to-be 2nd Year Uni student (finished 1st Year), will start 2nd Year in September.

I am currently with Natwest and am considering transferring to a Student Bank Account as I have only just found out about the whole interest free Overdraft while searching for ways a student can get access to some cash because some unexpected costs have arisen.

I have a couple things I would like some people(s) opinions/previous experience on:

a) what is the likelihood of a student with a 919/999 credit rating ("Good"), with next to no previous history (considered bad as it is hard to judge the student) - to be granted the overdraft, and in total what would be your guess as to the max amount they would lend?

b) as I didn't 'claim' the first year overdraft, will they not grant me access to it as I am no longer a 1st Year and will start 2nd Year in September?

I am just a little stuck on these issues and cannot find answers without going into a branch and asking.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Olly
Original post by hairyseal
Hi there

So I am a soon-to-be 2nd Year Uni student (finished 1st Year), will start 2nd Year in September.

I am currently with Natwest and am considering transferring to a Student Bank Account as I have only just found out about the whole interest free Overdraft while searching for ways a student can get access to some cash because some unexpected costs have arisen.

I have a couple things I would like some people(s) opinions/previous experience on:

a) what is the likelihood of a student with a 919/999 credit rating ("Good":wink:, with next to no previous history (considered bad as it is hard to judge the student) - to be granted the overdraft, and in total what would be your guess as to the max amount they would lend?

b) as I didn't 'claim' the first year overdraft, will they not grant me access to it as I am no longer a 1st Year and will start 2nd Year in September?

I am just a little stuck on these issues and cannot find answers without going into a branch and asking.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Olly

1) Banks aren't going to expect students to have 3 phone contracts, a mortgage and a car finance in their credit history :tongue: Chances are you will be granted the overdraft as long as you have no CIFAS flags or CCJs. I had next to no history and was granted the full overdraft amount with Santander

2) I don't see why they wouldn't grant you the overdraft
Reply 2
Original post by Blue_Cow
1) Banks aren't going to expect students to have 3 phone contracts, a mortgage and a car finance in their credit history :tongue: Chances are you will be granted the overdraft as long as you have no CIFAS flags or CCJs. I had next to no history and was granted the full overdraft amount with Santander

2) I don't see why they wouldn't grant you the overdraft

Brilliant, thanks a lot for your help :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending