The Student Room Group

How much free time do you get in college?

I'm planning on taking 4 A Levels. Biology, Chemistry, Maths, and an extra one that I haven't chosen yet. How many hours of lessons do you think I'll have a week? I heard that a day at the college I'm going to starts at around 9am and finishes at like 3pm or 4pm. That's just like a normal school day, so I don't understand why a lot of people say that you have more free time in college. Is it because there are more free lessons? What are your timetables like?
Reply 1
Depends on the institution. Ask them.
forget a levels buy bitcoin
Reply 3
Original post by hannah00
forget a levels buy dogecoin

EFA
Reply 4
I had loads of free time and I did 4 A levels; the day usually included some free periods, so I'd be in the pub.
Reply 5
Original post by elevntwentyseven
I'm planning on taking 4 A Levels. Biology, Chemistry, Maths, and an extra one that I haven't chosen yet. How many hours of lessons do you think I'll have a week? I heard that a day at the college I'm going to starts at around 9am and finishes at like 3pm or 4pm. That's just like a normal school day, so I don't understand why a lot of people say that you have more free time in college. Is it because there are more free lessons? What are your timetables like?

Former college student here. It depends on the college, but here is my college timetable, to give you an idea of how many hours you might have at college. :smile:

Classes started at 9 AM and ended at 5 PM, though when your own classes started and ended depended on what subjects you took and on what classes you were in. I had a fifteen minutes break after the first and third lesson of the day (from 10:30 to 10:45 AM and from 3:15 PM to 3:30 PM). Lunch was an hour and a half long, from 12;15 PM to 1:45 PM (unless it was Wednesday). I had a total of four classes lasting an hour and a half each per subject. (All the classes lasted an hour and a half.) Those who only took three A-levels almost always had Wednesdays free and those who took 4-6 A-levels had around a class or two on Wednesday.

Monday: Four lessons from 9 AM to 5 PM
Tuesday: Two lessons from 9 AM to 12:15 PM
Wednesday: One lesson from 12:20 PM to 1:50 PM
Thursday: Two lessons from 1:45 PM to 5 PM
Friday: Three lessons from 9 AM to 3:15 PM

Technically, we did have a 'free' lesson named Study Skills or whatever, but we did not have to go to it since there was no teacher for it, attendance was not checked, and we had no assignments for it or anything, so no one actually did it. :lol: (Even the teachers told us we do not have to go to it. Mine was supposed to be at 9 AM or so on Thursday. Thank God it was not an actual thing. :rolleyes: )
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Michiyo
Former college student here. It depends on the college, but here is my college timetable, to give you an idea of how many hours you might have at college. :smile:

Classes started at 9 AM and ended at 5 PM, though when your own classes started and ended depended on what subjects you took and on what classes you were in. I had a fifteen minutes break after the first and third lesson of the day (from 10:30 to 10:45 AM and from 3:15 PM to 3:30 PM). Lunch was an hour and a half long, from 12;15 PM to 1:45 PM (unless it was Wednesday). I had a total of four classes lasting an hour and a half each per subject. (All the classes lasted an hour and a half.) Those who only took three A-levels almost always had Wednesdays free and those who took 4-6 A-levels had around a class or two on Wednesday.

Monday: Four lessons from 9 AM to 5 PM
Tuesday: Two lessons from 9 AM to 12:15 PM
Wednesday: One lesson from 12:20 PM to 1:50 PM
Thursday: Two lessons from 1:45 PM to 5 PM
Friday: Three lessons from 9 AM to 3:15 PM

Technically, we did have a 'free' lesson named Study Skills or whatever, but we did not have to go to it since there was no teacher for it, attendance was not checked, and we had no assignments for it or anything, so no one actually did it. :lol: (Even the teachers told us we do not have to go to it. Mine was supposed to be at 9 AM or so on Thursday. Thank God it was not an actual thing. :rolleyes: )

Thanks, this was really helpful. So, did you have 3 lessons a week in total for each subject? And was there a lot of homework? My college is expecting us to do 6 hours independent study per subject each week which is kinda ridiculous in my opinion. How many hours of independent study did you guys do?
Reply 7
Original post by elevntwentyseven
Thanks, this was really helpful. So, did you have 3 lessons a week in total for each subject? And was there a lot of homework? My college is expecting us to do 6 hours independent study per subject each week which is kinda ridiculous in my opinion. How many hours of independent study did you guys do?

You are more than welcome :hugs:

Yes, I had three lessons for each subject :smile:

We had homework, but not that much. It was hardly ever checked, though. I almost never did my homework and it never caused any problems.

My college said we should put in about 5 hours of independent study per subject a week, so more or less the same as your college. :s-smilie: Of course, like no one actually studied that much, and personally, I ended up with AAAB at AS with minimal revision (I basically revised 1-3 hours a day per subject during the week before the mocks, 6 hours per subject for three weeks, and up to three days before the exams), so you do not actually have to study that many hours a week per subject. I am quite sure they only told us to revise 5 hours a week per subject in order to make us feel inadequate if we study less so that we study more and definitely get good grades. :lol:
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest