The Student Room Group

Starting Youtube

I’m making this thread just to ask for a bit of advice. So basically I’ve always wanted to film YouTube videos, infact I’ve been part of a YouTube community before and I enjoyed everything about it. Also the experiences some people get from YouTube are absolutely amazing and I want to be part of that again. I’ve literally put this off for so long but I have a long summer now and I want to start.

So I currently have a YouTube Channel with about 10,000 subscribers but these subs were from videos I made a long time ago that weren’t my face, they were animations. Anyway my first question is would you recommend I used that channel or started a new one? Like I earned my old subscribers but only a very select few would probably watch my videos. However starting again with 0 after having 10,000 seems horrible! :laugh:

That’s the main question really, I guess also what videos do you guys like watching? I was going to kind of Make my channel like about my student lifestyle starting with uni since I go this year, I thought those videos might be quite interesting for some people. Also if I do restart my old channel would you recommend I made a video like introducing myself. I don’t know I’m really nervous but I also really want to do it.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Starting Youtube would be a great opportunity, but it is competitive. I'd keep with your old channel as that can boast views and depending on Youtube guidelines may be able to get you started on the payment plans.

With starting your Youtube journey think about what videos you may want to create, what are your interests? Keep that in mind. Also what are the videos you mostly search on Youtube as that can contribute to the content you may want to create.

I would start with a good camera, everything else you can invest in later and keep your videos regular so people can keep up to date. Keep your mind focused on your goals when starting the channel and always remember why you are creating the content. I watch Youtube regularly and often find myself searching for things that haven't been created yet or have little to no information. So maybe keep that in mind? Is there any videos you find yourself searching for in which provide no information because you can be that person that creates that.

Good luck in your journey and do keep us updated!
Did you earn any sort of revenue when it was active?

YouTube recently changed alot of the requirements for partnerships, you need 1,000 subscribers and 4,000 hours total watch time to even just apply for monetisation. If you are not too bothered about this then starting a new channel wouldn't be bad, it really depends on how old the 10k channel is, because most likely they are inactive now so it would be similar to having 0 subs.

Starting again would be difficult, there are thousands, probably even hundreds of thousands of channels similar to lifestyle now, so it's extremely unlikely that you will grow as fast considering how popular it is. However you could offer something unique, maybe like your revision tips? I can't really suggest anything on a channel like this because mine is just programming and hacking lol.

Good luck with it anyway.
Original post by beelet
Starting Youtube would be a great opportunity, but it is competitive. I'd keep with your old channel as that can boast views and depending on Youtube guidelines may be able to get you started on the payment plans.

With starting your Youtube journey think about what videos you may want to create, what are your interests? Keep that in mind. Also what are the videos you mostly search on Youtube as that can contribute to the content you may want to create.

I would start with a good camera, everything else you can invest in later and keep your videos regular so people can keep up to date. Keep your mind focused on your goals when starting the channel and always remember why you are creating the content. I watch Youtube regularly and often find myself searching for things that haven't been created yet or have little to no information. So maybe keep that in mind? Is there any videos you find yourself searching for in which provide no information because you can be that person that creates that.

Good luck in your journey and do keep us updated!

Ah thank you for the lovely response! I always just thought it would look a little awkward having 10,000 subscribers and videos getting very little views, however I thought in the long run it might help me get a bit of a boost somehow?

I tend to watch lifestyle videos, ones about life and studying etc. ‘Jack Edwards’ would be a good example of the kind of YouTuber I aspire to be but of course female. As he goes to university but makes a range of videos to cater for a range of people. I do find I watch very generic videos like that though nothing obscure and of course it’s a very competitive world out there.

I currently have an ok camera, like at least better than iPhone quality so I’d probably start with that. My biggest issue is that actually I don’t have very many nice looking areas in my house to film in.

But yes thank you very much for the advice! After exams I think I might get started :smile:
Original post by codecommand
Did you earn any sort of revenue when it was active?

YouTube recently changed alot of the requirements for partnerships, you need 1,000 subscribers and 4,000 hours total watch time to even just apply for monetisation. If you are not too bothered about this then starting a new channel wouldn't be bad, it really depends on how old the 10k channel is, because most likely they are inactive now so it would be similar to having 0 subs.

Starting again would be difficult, there are thousands, probably even hundreds of thousands of channels similar to lifestyle now, so it's extremely unlikely that you will grow as fast considering how popular it is. However you could offer something unique, maybe like your revision tips? I can't really suggest anything on a channel like this because mine is just programming and hacking lol.

Good luck with it anyway.

I didn’t earn any revenue tbh, I only monetised very late on and just never made anything of it but I wasn’t really in it for the money so I wasn’t too bothered!

I see what you mean about 10k subs being a bit pointless if they’re all inactive however is it better than just starting out with 0? Probably? I don’t really know.

I get that lifestyle is very generic. I was going to make videos specifically with my uni in the title so that would attract some specific audiences but then again that puts my VERY out there at uni because people would start to find me.

I get that it will be hard to start out all over again I honestly wish I just did this the first time but yeah thanks for the luck I’ll sure need it!
Reply 5
Original post by EmilySarah00
Ah thank you for the lovely response! I always just thought it would look a little awkward having 10,000 subscribers and videos getting very little views, however I thought in the long run it might help me get a bit of a boost somehow?

I tend to watch lifestyle videos, ones about life and studying etc. ‘Jack Edwards’ would be a good example of the kind of YouTuber I aspire to be but of course female. As he goes to university but makes a range of videos to cater for a range of people. I do find I watch very generic videos like that though nothing obscure and of course it’s a very competitive world out there.

I currently have an ok camera, like at least better than iPhone quality so I’d probably start with that. My biggest issue is that actually I don’t have very many nice looking areas in my house to film in.

But yes thank you very much for the advice! After exams I think I might get started :smile:

Make a small budget of what you can afford and use that for materials for your videos, it doesn't really matter if areas in your house aren't "nice" as you can create a backdrop and give it that illusion. Remember people are only going to see what you want them to see and with that you can decide that.

Lifestyle videos are very interesting and I often find myself watching them, study with me's are becoming popular and I've recently began watching drive with me's! No matter what content you create there is always going to be an audience for them!

When you drop your first video, let me know and I'll subscribe! :smile:!! Pm if you need any more advice!
I’d say don’t care about the subscriber amount for now and just start the videos! Keep your old account and it would be cool maybe if you did like a 50 facts about me video introducing yourself!
Original post by susu66s
I’d say don’t care about the subscriber amount for now and just start the videos! Keep your old account and it would be cool maybe if you did like a 50 facts about me video introducing yourself!

That’s a very good idea! I was going to make some form of introductory video but 50 facts about me sounds like a shout! Thanks very much for the suggestion :smile:
Original post by EmilySarah00
That’s a very good idea! I was going to make some form of introductory video but 50 facts about me sounds like a shout! Thanks very much for the suggestion :smile:

No problemo! Let me know when you make a video so I can subscribe :smile:
Reply 9
I’m in the exact position as you were - what’s your channel would like to subscribe and get inspiration😁

Quick Reply

Latest