The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

A-level: A*A*A*A*A*

-(biology, chemistry, maths, further maths, critical thinking)

GCSE: pretty much all B's

for college i don't really know, need some help on that
I am stuck on colleges as well! Might do an open application at this point
Reply 3
what kind of experience do people have?
Reply 4
Hey all,

Was hoping for some advice. I'm unsure of my 4th GEM choice and am conflicted whether to apply to Cambridge or not. From what I've seen from their webpage, their programme seems to have a strong academic focus and centres around building a solid scientific basis - seems a bit too sciency. Nevertheless, the latter clinical years look amazing and it seems like you'd we well supported throughout the course.

Since they look for academically competitive applicants, would they favour a graduate with a 1st class compared with one that holds a 2:1? They also state they want an A or A* in chemistry and that A-Levels need to be passed within seven years of entry. I passed my A-Levels at AAAa in 2011, so this looks like the last year where I'd still be eligible to apply :erm:.

Hope everyone is progressing well with their applications!
Original post by Jin3011
Hey all,

Was hoping for some advice. I'm unsure of my 4th GEM choice and am conflicted whether to apply to Cambridge or not. From what I've seen from their webpage, their programme seems to have a strong academic focus and centres around building a solid scientific basis - seems a bit too sciency. Nevertheless, the latter clinical years look amazing and it seems like you'd we well supported throughout the course.

Since they look for academically competitive applicants, would they favour a graduate with a 1st class compared with one that holds a 2:1? They also state they want an A or A* in chemistry and that A-Levels need to be passed within seven years of entry. I passed my A-Levels at AAAa in 2011, so this looks like the last year where I'd still be eligible to apply :erm:.

Hope everyone is progressing well with their applications!

You're lucky this is the last year because it means you should definitely give it a shot and apply!
Hey I'm also wondering if I should apply to Cambridge, I'm a postgraduate with loads of experience (volunteering, teaching, scholarships etc), but come from a humanities background.
Because of this, I'm enrolled onto an access to medicine course which starts this September. Does anyone know if Cambridge accepts this, I mean realistically even if they must say so on paper???
Thank you :smile:
Original post by 2Ariadne2
Hey I'm also wondering if I should apply to Cambridge, I'm a postgraduate with loads of experience (volunteering, teaching, scholarships etc), but come from a humanities background.
Because of this, I'm enrolled onto an access to medicine course which starts this September. Does anyone know if Cambridge accepts this, I mean realistically even if they must say so on paper???
Thank you :smile:

Hmmmm i'm not sure about this but if they say they accept it then it should be more than fine :smile:
Original post by HecticMarlo
A-level: A*A*A*A*A*

-(biology, chemistry, maths, further maths, critical thinking)

GCSE: pretty much all B's

for college i don't really know, need some help on that

I don't want to sound harsh but if you messed up in your GCSE..don't apply to Cambridge. I know people say Cambridge don't look at GCSE but they do. I know this because one of my friends go there for medicine and I know friends who works in the admissions office.
To the people here.

You need at least A* A* A predicted to apply to Cambridge

Average of 10A* in GCSE

BMAT score...ideally in the 5s and 6s
Forgot to introduce myself..silly me

Hey guys

My GCSE results

English lit - 9
English lang - 9
Maths - 9
Biology-A*
Chemistry- A*
Physics- A*
German - A*
History - A*
D.T - A*
Geography - A*
Religious Studies - A*
IGCSE/Further Maths level 2 - A* with a distinction

My a levels: maths,bio and chem

My choices: Oxford/Cambridge,Imperial, UCL and Kings or maybe St Georges

Good luck everyone and Happy BMAT/UKCAT!
Also please change the title to Undergraduate...very confusing for the new guys
Original post by great guy
Also please change the title to Undergraduate...very confusing for the new guys

This is a GRADUATE medicine thread
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by justinamarina
This is a GRADUATE medicine thread

Yh I realised that I made that mistake. Ignore my previous messages.
Original post by great guy
To the people here.

You need at least A* A* A predicted to apply to Cambridge

Average of 10A* in GCSE

BMAT score...ideally in the 5s and 6s

They got 5 A* at A level, it is most certainly worth applying for. GCSE's don't really mean much at all, and although it is prefered to have many A*s at GCSE, it's not that important
My A-levels were B B B (Biology Chemistry and Economics)I got a 1st class honours in Biomedicine and am currently in the process of completing my PhD in Biomolecular Neuroscience.A-levels aren't great and I know I'll be in direct comp with those that got an A in chem A-level. Hoping everything else swings it in my favour!At the moment I'm going to submit an open application, seems the most logical! I'm also going to sit the UKCAT and apply to Kings College and Queen Mary. Does anyone else here have anything postgrad? Or mostly undergrad?
Reply 16
Original post by hannahlousia93
My A-levels were B B B (Biology Chemistry and Economics)I got a 1st class honours in Biomedicine and am currently in the process of completing my PhD in Biomolecular Neuroscience.A-levels aren't great and I know I'll be in direct comp with those that got an A in chem A-level. Hoping everything else swings it in my favour!At the moment I'm going to submit an open application, seems the most logical! I'm also going to sit the UKCAT and apply to Kings College and Queen Mary. Does anyone else here have anything postgrad? Or mostly undergrad?

If I were you, I would check with Cambridge. My understanding is that even if you have a PhD, you need grade A in Chemistry A level.
Original post by NHSFan
If I were you, I would check with Cambridge. My understanding is that even if you have a PhD, you need grade A in Chemistry A level.

I have already checked.

Applicants must have A Level Chemistry (normally passed at grade A or above within seven years of entry) and one of Biology/Human Biology, Physics, Mathematics (at A or AS Level).

Academically competitive applicants will generally have at least AAA at A level or equivalent, including an A or A* at Chemistry. Those who do not hold these grades should be aware that their application will be in direct competition with those who do.

Reply 18
Original post by hannahlousia93
I have already checked.

Applicants must have A Level Chemistry (normally passed at grade A or above within seven years of entry) and one of Biology/Human Biology, Physics, Mathematics (at A or AS Level).

Academically competitive applicants will generally have at least AAA at A level or equivalent, including an A or A* at Chemistry. Those who do not hold these grades should be aware that their application will be in direct competition with those who do.

Hi! I am aware of what the website says. I would still advise contacting them. However, good luck with your application.
Hello ! I am also applying to Cambridge!

I have A*A*A at A level ( Bio chem and geography) and I am entering my third year of my degree ( I achieved 74% in second year )and I'm a Chemistry student.

I have 5 weeks of work experience including working in a hospital in Tanzania, GP and a dermatology unit. I have limited experience volunteering ( 2 years on and off with a kids camp looking after disabled children)

I know my chances are very limited but I will give it a go !

Latest