Drinks at Costa/Starbucks give me bad coughs!

Watch
Neverland_girl17
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Ok, I know most of you probably aren’t doctors but some might have the same problem idk?

Ok so a couple months back I ordered a coffee (can’t remember what it was....Starbucks vanilla thing.... idk...) and I felt like I needed to cough more, I let it pass over and thought maybe it was because of pollen to doctors are saying that those who aren’t affected by pollen probably will be!

Skip to two weeks ago, I went to costa and ordered a Coffee frostino, once again the cough came back.

Last Saturday I bought a Belgian Chocolate Frostino (with coffee) from costa and as I was drinking it the cough kept coming back.

When I say cough it’s not like a normal cough but a proper chesty cough. Can anyone possibly help me on this one cus I do love Starbucks and Costa coffee!
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Moved to health
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Neverland_girl17)
Ok, I know most of you probably aren’t doctors but some might have the same problem idk?

Ok so a couple months back I ordered a coffee (can’t remember what it was....Starbucks vanilla thing.... idk...) and I felt like I needed to cough more, I let it pass over and thought maybe it was because of pollen to doctors are saying that those who aren’t affected by pollen probably will be!

Skip to two weeks ago, I went to costa and ordered a Coffee frostino, once again the cough came back.

Last Saturday I bought a Belgian Chocolate Frostino (with coffee) from costa and as I was drinking it the cough kept coming back.

When I say cough it’s not like a normal cough but a proper chesty cough. Can anyone possibly help me on this one cus I do love Starbucks and Costa coffee!
No medical training fyi, but I would think what's making you cough is irritation to your throat. That could be caused by the heat, a specific ingredient or even a cleaning product they use in the shop which you breathe in.

I find that I need to cough often with cold drinks like a slushie or with alcohol.

I would have a think about what is in the coffee and if any of it is stuff you have not from Starbucks or not.
With the stuff you have other times, do you have this reaction then?
With the stuff you don't have other times try either having it at some point out of the SB coffee or having the SB coffee without that and see if that changes anything.

You could also think about the general texture/ feel of the drink. It may not be a specific ingredient, but more down to if its too hot or "dry" or bitter, creamy etc.

It could also be how you drink it. I found sometimes that drinking to go hot chocolate made me cough a bit and I think that may somehow be down to the little spout-ie thing you drink from. I ave no idea how that would work, but it seems to happen.
Maybe its cos I tend to drink slower or more that way so I breathe less wile drinking or that it just sends the drink down a bit differently.

Basically just experiment a bit and see if anything changes it. As long as its just a mild issue that'll be fine. If it does feel a bit more serious like maybe you're getting some difficulty breathing or its affecting you visually too, go see your GP just to check all is good.

Hope that helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (24)
16.78%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (48)
33.57%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (14)
9.79%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (14)
9.79%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (7)
4.9%
I think it's an unfair expectation (33)
23.08%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
2.1%

Watched Threads