The Student Room Group

gap year after A-level

i left my A- level revision to the last minute and that is my fault but ive been telling my family about taking a gap year and two of my siblings have taken it and im willing to take one to retake and i have no problem with it as i would much rather go to uni with good grades im proud of then gong into uni with bad grades.The expectations is at least C's and i cant get that due to my lack of revivon.my siblings wont let me do a gap year but it something i want to do and i think they see it as im wasting my tine but if i went to a foundation course i would still be a year behind but that doesn bother me not everyone goes to uni straight.i hate it when people say you will be fine youll get the results but im realistic and i know i wont and i want to take a gap year but i know my family will be dissapointed and angry and telling my silblings that its my life led to an arguement and i dont get it im so confused. I need help on what to do i think that they mostly care about what others say and to be honest i really dont care becuse its what i want to do and its me whos taking the exams not them
Original post by bb83
i left my A- level revision to the last minute and that is my fault but ive been telling my family about taking a gap year and two of my siblings have taken it and im willing to take one to retake and i have no problem with it as i would much rather go to uni with good grades im proud of then gong into uni with bad grades.The expectations is at least C's and i cant get that due to my lack of revivon.my siblings wont let me do a gap year but it something i want to do and i think they see it as im wasting my tine but if i went to a foundation course i would still be a year behind but that doesn bother me not everyone goes to uni straight.i hate it when people say you will be fine youll get the results but im realistic and i know i wont and i want to take a gap year but i know my family will be dissapointed and angry and telling my silblings that its my life led to an arguement and i dont get it im so confused. I need help on what to do i think that they mostly care about what others say and to be honest i really dont care becuse its what i want to do and its me whos taking the exams not them

Tell me a bit more about your siblings - why don’t they want to let you take a gap year? (Especially if they took one themselves)

Also, what is it that you want to study at university?
Reply 2
Original post by Vivi2018
Tell me a bit more about your siblings - why don’t they want to let you take a gap year? (Especially if they took one themselves)

Also, what is it that you want to study at university?

i think its the general idea of being a year behind and that i have to stay at home and study but that doesnt bother me i mean i if get amazing grades at the end they wouldnt even care about the gap year i took beacause it will be worth it in the end.i think it just that if i go to uni a lot of stress and worry will be lifted from my family beause my school life is over if you understan what im saying ,if im at uni they dont need to worry as much.
Original post by bb83
i think its the general idea of being a year behind and that i have to stay at home and study but that doesnt bother me i mean i if get amazing grades at the end they wouldnt even care about the gap year i took beacause it will be worth it in the end.i think it just that if i go to uni a lot of stress and worry will be lifted from my family beause my school life is over if you understan what im saying ,if im at uni they dont need to worry as much.

You need to do what’s right for you. I would wait for my grades and assess the situation:
1) can I apply for a good place through clearing with these grades? If yes, do so!
2) are my grades so bad that I can’t apply for the course I want to study? Or at the uni I want to study at? And if I give myself another year, do I believe I can improve them? If you feel you can, then resit the year.

You don’t need to worry about what other people think when it comes to making a decision as big as this - once uni is over, you will work until you’re 65. So do something you want to do. You won’t be happy living someone else’s dreams.
Reply 4
You need to do what’s right for you. I would wait for my grades and assess the situation:
1) can I apply for a good place through clearing with these grades? If yes, do so!
2) are my grades so bad that I can’t apply for the course I want to study? Or at the uni I want to study at? And if I give myself another year, do I believe I can improve them? If you feel you can, then resit the year.

You don’t need to worry about what other people think when it comes to making a decision as big as this - once uni is over, you will work until you’re 65. So do something you want to do. You won’t be happy living someone else’s dreams.

yeah i understand but its going to be hard i know im going to get so many lectures about how i never revise and stuff but i know what i did wrong and if i take a gap year they will have no choce but to accept as its my only option and im doing it. thank you for your advice:smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
I’m in the same boat- 3A*s at gcse in my a level subjects predicted great things and I know in August I won’t even have c’s on my results - totally my own fault I lost all motivation for my exams.

I’m taking a gap year, my mum wasn’t happy with it at first, but I have a part time job and some savings plus I’m 18 so I’m not really sure what your siblings can do to stop you? As it’s your life and your choices if you want to take a gap year to gain life experience you do that?

Heading off to the Maldives for a month next week, then I come back and work until December, and then I’m off to south East Asia for two months through January and February.

Tell your siblings that it’s what you want to do, throw in a bit of “I want to find myself, and find what I really want to do in my life” and actually do something worthwhile don’t waste it away. At the end of the day it’s your life, you’re 18 so you can make your own life choices you have to make your siblings understand this
Original post by bb83
yeah i understand but its going to be hard i know im going to get so many lectures about how i never revise and stuff but i know what i did wrong and if i take a gap year they will have no choce but to accept as its my only option and im doing it. thank you for your advice:smile:

No problem- also, just make sure you’re never at home. Spend all your time at the library or get a part time job. It’s harder for them to bully you when you’re not at home 😝. And after about a month the worst of it will be over. And the next year you’ll be gone 🤗. Best wishes! X
Reply 7
Original post by WillGreen66
I’m in the same boat- 3A*s at gcse in my a level subjects predicted great things and I know in August I won’t even have c’s on my results - totally my own fault I lost all motivation for my exams.

I’m taking a gap year, my mum wasn’t happy with it at first, but I have a part time job and some savings plus I’m 18 so I’m not really sure what your siblings can do to stop you? As it’s your life and your choices if you want to take a gap year to gain life experience you do that?

Heading off to the Maldives for a month next week, then I come back and work until December, and then I’m off to south East Asia for two months through January and February.

Tell your siblings that it’s what you want to do, throw in a bit of “I want to find myself, and find what I really want to do in my life” and actually do something worthwhile don’t waste it away. At the end of the day it’s your life, you’re 18 so you can make your own life choices you have to make your siblings understand this

wow that so cool , but considering i have asian parents it a bit difficult for the finding myself part and going to different countries as its not ideal haha and telling them i have my own life created tension between me and my sibling but i guess if i take it they cant do anything and my mother isint keen well no one is but she just says just see what your results are and i told them im putting options out there for a back up just in case im giving you a heads up so you wont be suprised. i want to take the gapp year i mean i know it sucks but it my nly option beacuse i know my results will be horrible
Reply 8
No problem- also, just make sure you’re never at home. Spend all your time at the library or get a part time job. It’s harder for them to bully you when you’re not at home 😝. And after about a month the worst of it will be over. And the next year you’ll be gone 🤗. Best wishes! X

yeah ill hopefully get a part time job as ive heard taking a gap year and being home all the time can get a bit depressing as i know someone who was depressed as thier friends were not with them and so on and after a month it will all go hopefully,thats what my friend said who retook a year their parents had to accept it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending