Ice-9
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello,

I understand the 3+1 rule for student finance, however I have been doing a foundation year entry qualification part-time with Birkbeck over two years (It is usually one year, however I have been doing it part-time at 50% intensity).

I have now been told that I do not qualify for year one funding of a full-time degree. Is there no allowance for the fact my foundation course was part-time? Good universities have offered me places for year 1 (including KCL and UCL) but I have been denied funding. Is this correct? It doesn't seem so according to the SFE website? I have written to SFE twice and telephoned, but they never give me an answer or fudge it.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Martin
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Ice-9)
Hello,

I understand the 3+1 rule for student finance, however I have been doing a foundation year entry qualification part-time with Birkbeck over two years (It is usually one year, however I have been doing it part-time at 50% intensity).

I have now been told that I do not qualify for year one funding of a full-time degree. Is there no allowance for the fact my foundation course was part-time? Good universities have offered me places for year 1 (including KCL and UCL) but I have been denied funding. Is this correct? It doesn't seem so according to the SFE website? I have written to SFE twice and telephoned, but they never give me an answer or fudge it.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Martin
Did you apply for student finance for the foundation? Or did you list your part time study on your application form?

Part time study that didn't result in a qualification (ie like you've done) wouldn't normally be counted in the previous study calculation.
Ice-9
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
Did you apply for student finance for the foundation? Or did you list your part time study on your application form?

Part time study that didn't result in a qualification (ie like you've done) wouldn't normally be counted in the previous study calculation.
Thanks for replying. My course is technically called a Certificate of Higher Education, and I do get a certificate qualification for it. I did apply for a part-time loan for it from SFE which they gave me, so I had to list it when applying for future full-time degree funding.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Ice-9)
Thanks for replying. My course is technically called a Certificate of Higher Education, and I do get a certificate qualification for it. I did apply for a part-time loan for it from SFE which they gave me, so I had to list it when applying for future full-time degree funding.
Ahh

A CertHE is equivalent to year 1 of a degree. Normally you'd be expected to go into Yr 2 of a new degree if you hold a CertHE.

SFE staff will normally answer questions on Tuesday afternoons onwards so hopefully one of them will be able to help explain why a 2 year 50% intensity CertHE has been counted as 2 years of study in your previous study calculation. It could be that this is SFE/government policy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (138)
33.91%
Yes - a trusted person (107)
26.29%
No (110)
27.03%
I'm not sure (52)
12.78%

Watched Threads