The Student Room Group

What is Chemistry A Level like?

Would take with Biology and Psychology (which I am extremely interested in) and it would go well as I want to work in a hospital therefore would be useful. Just finished my GCSES, and in the mock in November in Combined Science I got a 6 (B). I’m hoping for a 7/8, however the new gcses were extremely hard so not sure whether I have due to the fact I messed up physics and the second chemistry paper was extremely hard. Please could those who done these subjects combined or do them from double science tell me how Chemistry was?? Did you have to put more work in than Biology/Psychology? Thankyou :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I would imagine it's sort of like "Breaking Bad".
Hell
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by medic18
I did bio psych and chem. Chem was hell

Could you tell me more please?? What’s your plans now are you going to uni??
Reply 4
Original post by Sheldon'sGotCake

Haha what’s so bad about it??
No, I meant the Tv show... "Breaking Bad". Look it up.
Chemistry is definitely challenging at A-Level. But it's not because of content, it's because of the exams. The exams are really cryptic and not as straight forward as it was in GCSE (at least in the old GCSES anyway). Before you can even think about answering the question, you have to work out what its asking you and try and find the right thing that they want you to do. They will constantly give you new scenarios you've never seen before and expect you to be able to apply your knowledge and this is what all of the science A-Levels are like. I think it's hard to compare Biology and Chemistry to Psychology because that's more of a written subject and so the way in which you need to work and revise will be completely different to Chemistry and Biology.
Just don't let your teachers scare you in the lecture they will give at the start of the course. They seem to think they're 'ard because the teach A-level chemistry.

Work hard, and prove them wrong. I'm now at the end of A-level Chemistry and have my last exam for it tomorrow. If you want to do well in it, you definitely can. One day, you'll be smarter than the teachers, so just set that as your goal and you'll be fine.
Original post by Beth286
Could you tell me more please?? What’s your plans now are you going to uni??

It is hard, and many people drop the course after a few weeks/months. It's a massive step up from GCSE and the volume of content in each subject (i found to be) was insane. The key is to stay on top of all your work and making sure you're constanly revisitng topics. It is doable but (for the many, me included) it was a struggle. I dont know what your capabilities are but i would stay wait until you get your results and take things from there. If you have a passion for the subjects, clear career goals and a strong work ethic, you should be able to do it. Word of advice for psychology though, there is LOADS and i mean LOADS of content to memorise, so make sure you dont leave it to the last minute, which im sure you won't
(edited 5 years ago)
I got 3A*s in maths physics and chemistry at gcse with 198/200 UMS in chemistry - I took those three at a levels, and let me tell you chemistry is something else. It’s dragged me to the floor along with all my other subjects, I lost all motivation for chemistry, in turn dragging the other two with it - at the start of the year I was determined for 3A*s - I’ve just finished my A2 levels, just a couple more to go and there’s no way I’m getting c’s - if you have any doubt that you won’t enjoy chemistry, you’re right and it will *uck you up big time.
Original post by medic18
It is hard, and many people drop the course after a few weeks/months. It's a massive step up from GCSE and the volume of content in each subject (i found to be) was insane. The key is to stay on top of all your work and making sure you're constanly revisitng topics. It is doable but (for the many, me included) it was a struggle. I dont know what your capabilities are but i would stay wait until you get your results and take things from there. If you have a passion for the subjects, clear career goals and a strong work ethic, you should be able to do it. Word of advice for psychology though, there is LOADS and i mean LOADS of content to memorise, so make sure you dont leave it to the last minute, which im sure you won'

I agree with everything here. I really struggled with Chemistry at the start of year 12, but as long as you stick at it and don't give up, you'll get used to the concepts and everything will fall into place.
Reply 11
I also did double science at GCSE and took Biology, Chemistry and Sociology at A level and I guess sociology is similar to psychology is some aspects. Chemistry has definitely been the subject I struggled with the most and under performed in throughout the 2 years, in comparison with the my other subjects. But just with any other subject, the key is to just keep your head down from the start and I found that past papers were really useful, just to help you get the jist of the structure of exam questions and where your marks are coming from. As much as I regretted taking it, I managed to survive and my last chemistry exam is tomorrow. If you do end up taking it or need more information on what the course is like and want any chemistry resources, don't hesitate to message me. All the best :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by jmfllws0010
Chemistry is definitely challenging at A-Level. But it's not because of content, it's because of the exams. The exams are really cryptic and not as straight forward as it was in GCSE (at least in the old GCSES anyway). Before you can even think about answering the question, you have to work out what its asking you and try and find the right thing that they want you to do. They will constantly give you new scenarios you've never seen before and expect you to be able to apply your knowledge and this is what all of the science A-Levels are like. I think it's hard to compare Biology and Chemistry to Psychology because that's more of a written subject and so the way in which you need to work and revise will be completely different to Chemistry and Biology.

Okay thankyou :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by MathsGod100
Just don't let your teachers scare you in the lecture they will give at the start of the course. They seem to think they're 'ard because the teach A-level chemistry.

Work hard, and prove them wrong. I'm now at the end of A-level Chemistry and have my last exam for it tomorrow. If you want to do well in it, you definitely can. One day, you'll be smarter than the teachers, so just set that as your goal and you'll be fine.

Thankyou so much!! What do you hope to do after A levels and good luck for tomorrow I’m sure you’ll do great!!
Reply 14
Original post by medic18
It is hard, and many people drop the course after a few weeks/months. It's a massive step up from GCSE and the volume of content in each subject (i found to be) was insane. The key is to stay on top of all your work and making sure you're constanly revisitng topics. It is doable but (for the many, me included) it was a struggle. I dont know what your capabilities are but i would stay wait until you get your results and take things from there. If you have a passion for the subjects, clear career goals and a strong work ethic, you should be able to do it. Word of advice for psychology though, there is LOADS and i mean LOADS of content to memorise, so make sure you dont leave it to the last minute, which im sure you won't

Thankyou for the help!! Yeah I’ve heard that but I have a strong mindset to work my hardest cause the next few years will be tough but it will set me up for the rest of my life. I really enjoy biology and considered chem to go alongside and help it. The only downside is sadly I have had an awful (and I do not use this word often, but I really mean it) bunch of maths teachers so I’ve had to teach myself everything in maths which is difficult when I learn best from listening to people. My target grade was a 7 which I could have got if I had a good teacher, however in the mock I got a 4,4,5 in the papers and I’m hopefully aiming for a 5/6. Therefore I am going to buy the headstart to biology maths book so i can try and be on the same level as everyone else. I am so motivated for A levels and I know they’re going to be hard but I think I can do it.
Reply 15
Original post by WillGreen66
I got 3A*s in maths physics and chemistry at gcse with 198/200 UMS in chemistry - I took those three at a levels, and let me tell you chemistry is something else. It’s dragged me to the floor along with all my other subjects, I lost all motivation for chemistry, in turn dragging the other two with it - at the start of the year I was determined for 3A*s - I’ve just finished my A2 levels, just a couple more to go and there’s no way I’m getting c’s - if you have any doubt that you won’t enjoy chemistry, you’re right and it will *uck you up big time.

Oh no I’m sorry to hear that, were your teachers not as good as your GCSE teachers?? Everything happens for a reason I guess, maybe this will lead you to where you’re meant to be in life.
Reply 16
Original post by a.h17
I also did double science at GCSE and took Biology, Chemistry and Sociology at A level and I guess sociology is similar to psychology is some aspects. Chemistry has definitely been the subject I struggled with the most and under performed in throughout the 2 years, in comparison with the my other subjects. But just with any other subject, the key is to just keep your head down from the start and I found that past papers were really useful, just to help you get the jist of the structure of exam questions and where your marks are coming from. As much as I regretted taking it, I managed to survive and my last chemistry exam is tomorrow. If you do end up taking it or need more information on what the course is like and want any chemistry resources, don't hesitate to message me. All the best :smile:

Thankyou so much!! How do you find biology and do they help eachother in some situations?? Good luck for tomorrow you’ll smash it!!
Original post by Beth286
Would take with Biology and Psychology (which I am extremely interested in) and it would go well as I want to work in a hospital therefore would be useful. Just finished my GCSES, and in the mock in November in Combined Science I got a 6 (B). I’m hoping for a 7/8, however the new gcses were extremely hard so not sure whether I have due to the fact I messed up physics and the second chemistry paper was extremely hard. Please could those who done these subjects combined or do them from double science tell me how Chemistry was?? Did you have to put more work in than Biology/Psychology? Thankyou :smile:

its piss easy honestly didnt even revise, or go to the lessons just turned up on the exam and smashed an A*
A LEVELS ARE EASY LMAO STOP CRYING XX
Original post by Beth286

I took those 3 subjects :smile: Chemistry is horrendous, and honestly if I didn't need it for my university I would have dropped it for something else... The exams seem unfair and often you can't simply "learn" the answers. Biology and psychology were fairly easy compared to the hell that is chemistry. Unless you need it I wouldn't do it, but sometimes you have to compromise for the future you want...
Original post by Sheldon'sGotCake

A level chemistry no, it took until 4th year of my degree for them to tell us how to make meth

Quick Reply