The Student Room Group

Transgender females sharing girl Guides accommodation.

Transgender girls and young women that self identify ( including those that still have male tackle) are allowed to use shared sleeping and showering facilities with girl Guides age between 11 and 25.

Best practice guidelines from The Girl Guides also states that the parents of young girl guides do not need to be informed that this will happen on a camping trip.
Can you see any problems with this or not.

On the plus side it is a back door means of equalising the practice of girls being allowed to join the Scouts but boys not being allowed to join the guides.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/girlguiding-to-allow-trans-members-to-share-bathrooms-and-bedrooms-with-female-members-new-rules-say-a3702291.html

Scroll to see replies

I could see why this is a tough issue. Do they separate trans girls from the girls or put them together. Stuff like these makes transgender such as sensitive issue in America.
If I had an 11 year old daughter sleeping in the same cabin as somebody who was 25 with male tackle, I would want to know about that.
Original post by Just my opinion
Transgender girls and young women that self identify ( including those that still have male tackle) are allowed to use shared sleeping and showering facilities with girl Guides age between 11 and 25.

Best practice guidelines from The Girl Guides also states that the parents of young girl guides do not need to be informed that this will happen on a camping trip.

On the plus side it is a back door means of equalising the practice of girls being allowed to join the Scouts but boys not being allowed to join the guides.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/girlguiding-to-allow-trans-members-to-share-bathrooms-and-bedrooms-with-female-members-new-rules-say-a3702291.html

If my child was under the age of 18 I'd want to know who they're showering with. If they're over 18, they can shower with whoever they want, not my problem, ha.

It's a bit inappropriate for anyone, over the age of 18, to be showering with underage children though.
Just realised that this also goes for adult self identifying trans women with their male tackle still intact who are leaders.

Not sure I would be too happy if I was a parent and was deliberately not informed of any of this.
Reply 5
Original post by Andrew97
If I had an 11 year old daughter sleeping in the same cabin as somebody who was 25 with male tackle, I would want to know about that.

Really? I was a mountain guide in the alps for a while and everyone gets chucked in big rooms together, kids and adults alike. I doubt any of the parents knew and I don't see why they'd care. British groups got a bit antsy about it because it goes against their "guidelines", and frankly they were told if they didn't like it they could sleep outside, because every group from any other European country were fine with it and I never heard of a single problem. If it was just the 11yr old and the 25yr old alone together then year, that may be questionable, but these are group activities and often necessitate group sleeping arrangements.

I'd hate to think of kids missing out on experiences like these because of paranoid parents.

Showering though, that does get a bit weird, but normally they split that at 18 regardless of gender anyway, so I doubt this will change anything there.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6

Sounds like pre-emptive moral panic to me. Co-ed spaces are generally not scenes of moral depravity, since most people just want to get along with each other rather than actually harm one another. I don't see this introducing any more risks than would already be in consideration for a camping trip, it's not like it suddenly becomes impossible for violence or abuse to occur just because of a person's genitalia.
This is just dangerous... People are willing to put their children in danger just to come across as liberal. If he had his junk removed then I'd feel more comfortable about it but it would be unnerving to know your daughter is sleeping in the same room with pre-op men. I don't care what they identify as, I would always put my child's safety first.

I honestly think there is a real problem at the moment with people being scared to voice their disagreement with this kind of thing out of fear of being called transphobic or whatever.
Original post by Dez
I don't see this introducing any more risks than would already be in consideration for a camping trip, it's not like it suddenly becomes impossible for violence or abuse to occur just because of a person's genitalia.

And what if a 18 year old pre-op male shares a shower and changing room with a 14 year old girl? You might be willing to take that risk and think it's totally fine and no harm could come of it but most parents would be extremely uncomfortable taking unnecessary risks.

If you have a penis, you should share a living space with boys, if you have a vagina you should share a living space with girls. It's pretty simple to me.
Reply 9
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
This is just dangerous... People are willing to put their children in danger just to come across as liberal. If he had his junk removed then I'd feel more comfortable about it but it would be unnerving to know your daughter is sleeping in the same room with pre-op men. I don't care what they identify as, I would always put my child's safety first.

I honestly think there is a real problem at the moment with people being scared to voice their disagreement with this kind of thing out of fear of being called transphobic or whatever.

What threat do you think your child would be in, in a room of 9 girls, 1 boy and 2 women, or even 9 girls, 1 boy, 1 woman and 1 man, that they wouldn't be in, in a room of 10 girls and 2 women?
Reply 10
And what if a 18 year old pre-op male shares a shower and changing room with a 14 year old girl? You might be willing to take that risk and think it's totally fine and no harm could come of it but most parents would be extremely uncomfortable taking unnecessary risks.

If you have a penis, you should share a living space with boys, if you have a vagina you should share a living space with girls. It's pretty simple to me.

This is just scaremongering.

For starters, the guides/scouts etc. are age-segregated anyway so the chances of the hypothetical situation you're suggesting here actually happening is extremely remote. Plus group showers aren't exactly common, except in swimming pools where everyone wears a bathing suit anyway so it's hardly going to be an issue there.

If the parents want to avoid "unnecessary risks" then they could just take the kids out of the Guides I suppose, but given that most absue happens at home from faimily members (as opposed to field trips with semi-strangers), that would probably end up being counter-productive, if anything. Again, I really don't see how there's going to be any additional risk from this policy that the field/camping trips would not have had already.
Original post by Andrew97

Obviously, that's not going to happen. Different age groups are gathered together.

That moan is nothing but ignorance on what they do.
Reply 12
Original post by Drewski
Obviously, that's not going to happen. Different age groups are gathered together.

That moan is nothing but ignorance on what they do.

If they ever go to a scout/guide site abroad that is very likely to happen. There're disclaimers in the UK policies about extenuating circumstances, and most places on the continent simply aren't set up to split up every little demographic, because they can be mature about it and simply don't care. You get bundled in a room and are expected to happily sleep there. This happens on a daily basis and never causes any problems.

If your child is ever going to be at risk in such organisations it's much more likely to be in the day time, where any immoral adult who has slipped through the cracks can more justifiably get them alone.
Original post by Dheorl
If your child is ever going to be at risk in such organisations it's much more likely to be in the day time, where any immoral adult who has slipped through the cracks can more justifiably get them alone.

As an adult who volunteers in one such organisation, this is sadly all too true.
I don't think its inherently dangerous. I was in the boys equivalent of these all the way through growing up, and I never ever remember having to shower or sleep in the same place as anyone who wasn't my age or very close to it. The idea of it being 25 year old men with 11 year old girls is just not going to happen.

But, that being said, whilst I don't think its dangerous - I do think its stupid.
Reply 15
Original post by fallen_acorns
I don't think its inherently dangerous. I was in the boys equivalent of these all the way through growing up, and I never ever remember having to shower or sleep in the same place as anyone who wasn't my age or very close to it. The idea of it being 25 year old men with 11 year old girls is just not going to happen.

But, that being said, whilst I don't think its dangerous - I do think its stupid.

Well you're wrong, it is going to happen, and in scouts which is a mixed gender organisation, it already happens, and I personally don't see any issue with it.

'male tackle' 😂
No, why does it matter what parts someone has in their pants?
Guess your one of those weirds who won't let their kids have a sleepover with someone of the different sex.

Sounds like you need to join the modern world, not everything is about sexual intercourse
Original post by Dez
This is just scaremongering.

For starters, the guides/scouts etc. are age-segregated anyway so the chances of the hypothetical situation you're suggesting here actually happening is extremely remote. Plus group showers aren't exactly common, except in swimming pools where everyone wears a bathing suit anyway so it's hardly going to be an issue there.

If the parents want to avoid "unnecessary risks" then they could just take the kids out of the Guides I suppose, but given that most absue happens at home from faimily members (as opposed to field trips with semi-strangers), that would probably end up being counter-productive, if anything. Again, I really don't see how there's going to be any additional risk from this policy that the field/camping trips would not have had already.

It's not scaremongering at all. I wouldn't want my daughter to share a shower or changing room with a guy regardless of whether he identifies as female or not. Even siblings of different genders should not change in front of each other after a certain age.

While the chances of anything happening on the Guides might be slim I would still only want my daughter to change and shower with other girls and allowing pre op men (up to the age of 24) according to that article, to shower with girls is not right. That's some messed up levels of "inclusion".
Reply 18
It's not scaremongering at all. I wouldn't want my daughter to share a shower or changing room with a guy regardless of whether he identifies as female or not. Even siblings of different genders should not change in front of each other after a certain age.

They wouldn't be, though. As already explained your hypothetical situation is basically non-existent. Separate changing rooms are very easy to arrange in most situations (I'm sure the trans guy wouldn't want to share a room either if they can help it) and shared showers are just not a thing to start with.

While the chances of anything happening on the Guides might be slim I would still only want my daughter to change and shower with other girls and allowing pre op men (up to the age of 24) according to that article, to shower with girls is not right. That's some messed up levels of "inclusion".

Well if you're using the Evening Standard as your sole source of information you're clearly not going to be seeing the whole picture. If you'd done any basic research you'd know that 24-year-olds are not going to be mixing with teenagers in the Guides except perhaps in leadership roles, and in that case it's highly unlkely they'd be sharing a shower, that would be weird even for single-sex accommodation.

Why not? My sister has changed in front of me and vice versa many times. You just sounds very old fashioned and sex obsessed

Quick Reply

Latest