Do you like England?

Watch this thread
Carbonx
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Do you like England? Justify your answer.
chazwomaq
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
Sure.

It's beautiful, with great countryside and historical towns and cities.

It's a wealthy, modern and politically stable country, with great opportunity for all, and public institutions the envy of the world.

The biggest downsides are the food and the weather, and the inability to ski here!
Cubone-r
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Carbonx)
I not only like England, but I also love England. I'm English of course, so I might be bias but I really do enjoy being English and living in England.

I love the people, the food, the pubs, our footballing culture, our need just to go on the lash every now and then, and so on.

We also have some of the most beautiful countryside and landmarks, which a lot of people underestimate. I know we all want to get away sometimes and go on holidays to exotic countries, but seriously have a look in your own backyard and do a tour of England and you will see how beautiful it is - from the sandy beaches of Cornwall, to our historic towns and cities such as Bath and York, not to mention the lake district which has some stunning views.

We've produced some great music and bands and we are a beacon for cuisine from all over the world - London is the food capital of Europe if not, the world; no where else will you find so many different kinds of restaurants all so close together! We also have some of the best universities in the world.

Sure, England has its flaws, but what country doesn't? I am immensely proud of what England and the United Kingdom stand for in terms of free speech, democracy, equality, and freedom of the individual. If you ask me, everyone who lives in England is very lucky indeed.
Bio 7
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Sure why not England's fine, prefer Scotland though.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
It's mostly just fields innit?

Bit like the rest of the world in that sense.
verier
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Bad mentality and people, horrible food, very low quality of life.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by verier)
Bad mentality and people, horrible food, very low quality of life.
Really isn’t.

Yes I do. We have decent weather, ie the climate is comfortable. Quality of life is good.
XoloTopr
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Carbonx)
I think like all places in the world it has its ups and downs.

Main pros for me are:
People (by large) genuinely couldn't care less (e.g. what you do, how you dress, what you say etc.) meaning you can truly be you.
People are generally obedient with legislation and we see a lot less of certain crimes which are (for want of a better word) 'monstrous'
NO GUNS
Decent green to city ratio in capitals such as London.
Very nice, consistent, weather (no joke, you try working in 50 degrees sun or -20...)
Lots to do (both for families and singles)
Strong currency meaning you can take very decent holidays to most of the world and abuse the conversion (which is great because £200 is a qualified persons monthly income in certain places in the globe)

Cons:
People (by large) genuinely couldn't care less (e.g. lack of neighborhoods, it's weird to ask for stuff from someone as everyone has this idea that everyone should be self-sufficient AT ALL TIMES and anyone who isn't is a burden, people can come across as very mean etc.)
Expensive (generally), this can lead to a poor quality of life if you're not careful
Weather (sometimes consistency isn't important, we want a bit of snow and sunshine - but can't have it all).
IMO family values are on a downtrend (although this may be a pro depending on your view)
You have to put up with the burden you have it a lot better of then most of the globe...
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Not as much as I liked living in Portugal in general terms, but that was mainly down to weather, smaller community, and cheaper to do cool things. Apart from those relatively minor gripes, yeah.
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Cubone-r)
I not only like England, but I also love England. I'm English of course, so I might be bias but I really do enjoy being English and living in England.

I love the people, the food, the pubs, our footballing culture, our need just to go on the lash every now and then, and so on.

We also have some of the most beautiful countryside and landmarks, which a lot of people underestimate. I know we all want to get away sometimes and go on holidays to exotic countries, but seriously have a look in your own backyard and do a tour of England and you will see how beautiful it is - from the sandy beaches of Cornwall, to our historic towns and cities such as Bath and York, not to mention the lake district which has some stunning views.

We've produced some great music and bands and we are a beacon for cuisine from all over the world - London is the food capital of Europe if not, the world; no where else will you find so many different kinds of restaurants all so close together! We also have some of the best universities in the world.

Sure, England has its flaws, but what country doesn't? I am immensely proud of what England and the United Kingdom stand for in terms of free speech, democracy, equality, and freedom of the individual. If you ask me, everyone who lives in England is very lucky indeed.
Read this and I felt like I was watching one of those advertisements that promote holidays in a certain country

But you're quite right, went on a little hunt for watch straps yesterday and just from my bus journey through London, I started planning future trips to places that popped up along the way - there's just so much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (112)
68.29%
No (34)
20.73%
I didn't use it to prepare (18)
10.98%

Watched Threads