The Student Room Group

How do you convince your parents to let you dye your hair

I'm 16 and my mum and dad still won't let me dye my hair. I naturally have light brown/ gingery hair (it's a weird colour and I hate it on me now) and I only want to dye in dark brown. Not crazy colours that look unnatural- just dark brown. My mum dyes her hair dark brown to get rid of grey hair, but she just won't let me. It'd only be wash in wash put hair dye, like my mum uses. But she won't let me do it because she's worried about making a mess. I said she can do it for me and she still refuses. I feel like a I don't have any freedom. I've left school now so school rules and stuff don't even come into it, I just don't understand why she won't let me. It'd make a feel more confident if I dyed my hair, and i just don't see why she won't allow it. How do I convince my mum to let me dye my hair???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Tell her the thing about not feeling like you have freedom/ want the confidence that comes with it. It's stupid that you're 16 and not allowed - my parents have been letting me dye hair/get piercings since I was 16 (they won't let me do tattoos, though smh). Tell her you're nearly an adult and should be allowed to do what you want. Ask her why she's so against it and come up with counter arguments eg she's worried about the mess so you say you'll be careful and if you do happen to make a mess you'll get the wipes that are made specifically to remove hair dye as well as the dye in case. If she says she wants you to look professional say you'll dye it brown which is a natural colour, and so on.
How would you feel about going to a professional and paying them to do it at a hairdresser to save your mum the mess?
Reply 2
Original post by MKBH
Tell her the thing about not feeling like you have freedom/ want the confidence that comes with it. It's stupid that you're 16 and not allowed - my parents have been letting me dye hair/get piercings since I was 16 (they won't let me do tattoos, though smh). Tell her you're nearly an adult and should be allowed to do what you want. Ask her why she's so against it and come up with counter arguments eg she's worried about the mess so you say you'll be careful and if you do happen to make a mess you'll get the wipes that are made specifically to remove hair dye as well as the dye in case. If she says she wants you to look professional say you'll dye it brown which is a natural colour, and so on.
How would you feel about going to a professional and paying them to do it at a hairdresser to save your mum the mess?

There's no convincing in her lmao. She just says I'm not old enough and I say that I'm 16 and then she says "start to act old enough then" cos this is literally causing arguments and she uses the fact that I'm arguing against me to say that I'm not mature enough😩
Original post by brendarob
There's no convincing in her lmao. She just says I'm not old enough and I say that I'm 16 and then she says "start to act old enough then" cos this is literally causing arguments and she uses the fact that I'm arguing against me to say that I'm not mature enough😩

Sounds like you've already pushed it too far to successively convince her. Just wait until you're a little older and/or have moved out.
Reply 4
Original post by sinfonietta
Sounds like you've already pushed it too far to successively convince her. Just wait until you're a little older and/or have moved out.

I'm just gonna get some hair dye and do it myself ahaha me mum can **** off. If I ruin her bathroom with the hair dye that's her problem for not helping me 😂😂
Reply 5

How old is "old enough"?

I'm just gonna get some hair dye and do it myself ahaha me mum can **** off. If I ruin her bathroom with the hair dye that's her problem for not helping me 😂😂

Also please get the wipes they're like £1 each they're in the same aisle as the dye if you get dye anywhere you shouldn't this is the best solution please don't wreck your mum's bathroom. Also you'll probably need someone with you the first time. I did it solo my first time and wound up with random streaks of black dye in my natural reddish-brown hair. I looked ridiculous lol.
Reply 6
Original post by MKBH
Also please get the wipes they're like £1 each they're in the same aisle as the dye if you get dye anywhere you shouldn't this is the best solution please don't wreck your mum's bathroom. Also you'll probably need someone with you the first time. I did it solo my first time and wound up with random streaks of black dye in my natural reddish-brown hair. I looked ridiculous lol.

That's why I'm trying to get my mum to help me do it but she's just refusing. She'd rather me walk around looking stupid with streaks in my hair than help me in order to prove a point. She thinks that because I'll end up with streaks that I'm not old enough, because if I was 'old enough' I'd be able to do it myself 😂
I was 16 when i first asked my mum and she said no. Im now 19 and still waiting for her to let me.
Reply 8
I'm 16 and my mum and dad still won't let me dye my hair. I naturally have light brown/ gingery hair (it's a weird colour and I hate it on me now) and I only want to dye in dark brown. Not crazy colours that look unnatural- just dark brown. My mum dyes her hair dark brown to get rid of grey hair, but she just won't let me. It'd only be wash in wash put hair dye, like my mum uses. But she won't let me do it because she's worried about making a mess. I said she can do it for me and she still refuses. I feel like a I don't have any freedom. I've left school now so school rules and stuff don't even come into it, I just don't understand why she won't let me. It'd make a feel more confident if I dyed my hair, and i just don't see why she won't allow it. How do I convince my mum to let me dye my hair???
Personally I think that colour sounds rather nice, but hey-ho.

At the end of the day, if she's said no, she's said no. Probably nothing you can say or do will change that.
Reply 9
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
I was 16 when i first asked my mum and she said no. Im now 19 and still waiting for her to let me.

That'll actually be me
Reply 10
Original post by Tootles
Personally I think that colour sounds rather nice, but hey-ho.

At the end of the day, if she's said no, she's said no. Probably nothing you can say or do will change that.

If she's got this much of a problem with me dying my hair then idk how I'm gonna be able to go on nights out and other stuff
If she's got this much of a problem with me dying my hair then idk how I'm gonna be able to go on nights out and other stuff
Are nights out that important? Besides which, by the time you're old enough to do that, she might have pulled her horns in a little about you dyeing your hair.
Reply 12
Original post by Tootles
Are nights out that important? Besides which, by the time you're old enough to do that, she might have pulled her horns in a little about you dyeing your hair.

It was just an example lol, I just feel like I'm being restricted my mum for no apparent reason. I'd understand if I wanted pink/purple/blue/rainbow/ or even red hair- but it'd only be dark brown. I just don't get where she's coming from it's irritating me aha
If you're parents are making you do something, anything you do not like, use that against them. For example if your parents say they want you to clean the whole house, tell them you won't unless you get your hair dyed.
It was just an example lol, I just feel like I'm being restricted my mum for no apparent reason. I'd understand if I wanted pink/purple/blue/rainbow/ or even red hair- but it'd only be dark brown. I just don't get where she's coming from it's irritating me aha
What is actually wrong with your hair colour anyway? Like I said, it sounds nice. I wouldn't mind having hair that colour. Then again, I wouldn't mind having hair, full-stop; I'd started to lose mine around your age.
Reply 15
Original post by Tootles
What is actually wrong with your hair colour anyway? Like I said, it sounds nice. I wouldn't mind having hair that colour. Then again, I wouldn't mind having hair, full-stop; I'd started to lose mine around your age.

Aw I'm sorry about your hair :frown: I just fancy a change and I don't like the colour. Just personal preference
Reply 16
Original post by chelseagirl2002
If you're parents are making you do something, anything you do not like, use that against them. For example if your parents say they want you to clean the whole house, tell them you won't unless you get your hair dyed.

Good idea, yet it'd probably cause more arguments. They'd just take things off me, like my phone or they'd stop me from going out
Good idea, yet it'd probably cause more arguments. They'd just take things off me, like my phone or they'd stop me from going out

Yeah that is true I guess. These things parents do should be considered a violation of human rights. My parents are very similar.
Reply 18
Yeah that is true I guess. These things parents do should be considered a violation of human rights. My parents are very similar.

Mine are so spiteful ugh

Please tell me your not being serious rn.

Quick Reply

Latest