The Student Room Group

Nursing Applicants - 2019

Hi! Hope it's ok for me to start this. Just wondering if anyone else will be applying for Nursing (any branch), to start in 2019, and wants to chat about the whole UCAS/personal statement/interview/offers process?

I'm applying for Adult branch at Swansea and University of South Wales.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hopefully I will be starting in 2019 if I manage to complete my access course in time! I’m looking at applying for adult branch at Lincoln, Hull or Sheffield Hallam! So nervous about the application process! What work experience in care do you already have? x
Hi I'm starting access course in Sep and hope to apply for nursing 2019, I'll be applying for adult branch main focus is on Kingston Uni but am going to start looking into other unis within reasonable travel :smile:
Original post by maddy05
Hopefully I will be starting in 2019 if I manage to complete my access course in time! I’m looking at applying for adult branch at Lincoln, Hull or Sheffield Hallam! So nervous about the application process! What work experience in care do you already have? x

Hi @maddy05 and @MDouglas

Good luck with your applications!

Would you like some information on the adult nursing course at Hallam? Have you looked at our course page? https://www.shu.ac.uk/courses/nursing-and-midwifery/bsc-honours-nursing-adult/full-time/2019

If you want to speak to the course leaders then I am happy to link you up to find out more!

Thanks
Bridget
Original post by Sheffield Hallam University
Hi @maddy05 and @MDouglas

Good luck with your applications!

Would you like some information on the adult nursing course at Hallam? Have you looked at our course page? https://www.shu.ac.uk/courses/nursing-and-midwifery/bsc-honours-nursing-adult/full-time/2019

If you want to speak to the course leaders then I am happy to link you up to find out more!

Thanks
Bridget

Hi thanks for the interest but you’re too far for me sorry 😊
Original post by MDouglas
Hi thanks for the interest but you’re too far for me sorry 😊

No problem- good luck with your search!

Bridget
Reply 6
Hey

I will hopefully be starting Adult Nursing in 2019. I am currently waiting to start my Access to Higher Education: Allied Health Professions and Nursing course.

I am looking in to applying for; Liverpool John Moores University, University of Liverpool, Edge Hill, University of Manchester and Kings College London.

I'm very nervous for the application process, especially writing my Personal Statement!

Cait
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by caitm05
Hey

I will hopefully be starting Adult Nursing in 2019. I am currently waiting to start my Access to Higher Education: Allied Health Professions and Nursing course.

I am looking in to applying for; Liverpool John Moores University, University of Liverpool, Edge Hill, University of Manchester and Kings College London.

I'm very nervous for the application process, especially writing my Personal Statement!

Cait

Hi Cait

I'm in exact same boat start my access to nursing course in Sep

But I am extremely nervous about the application process, I'm fine once I know someone but I can be very shy when meeting someone new and I worry how that might come across in interview etc

My access course have told us to have a personal statement first draft done and handed in on induction day but I'm completely stuck on where to start lol

Michelle
Original post by pickleonthebriny
Hi! Hope it's ok for me to start this. Just wondering if anyone else will be applying for Nursing (any branch), to start in 2019, and wants to chat about the whole UCAS/personal statement/interview/offers process?

Hey, I'm applying for adult nursing at Queens University and Ulster (Belfast). Starting my second-year access course in September.. I'm so excited and scared at the same time. lol

Have you started on your personal statement yet? I have no idea how to start it. Best of luck to us all :smile:
Original post by Andremasil
Hey, I'm applying for adult nursing at Queens University and Ulster (Belfast). Starting my second-year access course in September.. I'm so excited and scared at the same time. lol

Have you started on your personal statement yet? I have no idea how to start it. Best of luck to us all :smile:

Hi good luck with it all 😊

I’m trying to work on my personal statement atm but struggling with the opening as well
Hi all, hope you're well!

If you need advice on writing a personal statement, I recommend this advice from UCAS. I also recommend using their personal statement tool, which can help you write your first draft.

My own advice is to display your passion for the course as much as possible. This might seem really obvious, but you want the reader to know what you've done in the past to build up to this and how you'd like to take this further in the future. Right off the bat, you want the reader to see how keen you are to pursue a career in nursing. For your first few lines, I'd consider how to show your interest immediately.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Alex
Original post by pickleonthebriny

hello :smile:

I'm gonna be starting my adult nursing degree in September, so if you have any questions about the application process, interview and the Maths and English test please feel free to ask xx
Hi, I’m looking to apply for adult nursing starting 2019, I’m currently doing a dental nurse apprenticeship, hopefully I’ll be qualified doing this may 2019, I’m loooking to apply at uni of Nottingham, DMU and uni of Derby, so undecided whether to live away or travel!! And also nervous for application and interviews😬
Reply 13
Hi Cait

I'm in exact same boat start my access to nursing course in Sep

But I am extremely nervous about the application process, I'm fine once I know someone but I can be very shy when meeting someone new and I worry how that might come across in interview etc

My access course have told us to have a personal statement first draft done and handed in on induction day but I'm completely stuck on where to start lol

Michelle

Hi Michelle

I can't wait now, getting nervous as my start date is two weeks away!

I'm the same, I freeze when I have interviews and forget everything i'm supposed to say!

Mine have too, I have been trying to make a start but I think I have read too much about personal statements that I've made it even harder for myself to even attempt to write mine! Everything I write sounds too wordy and boring hahaha!

Cait
Original post by caitm05
Hi Michelle

I can't wait now, getting nervous as my start date is two weeks away!

I'm the same, I freeze when I have interviews and forget everything i'm supposed to say!

Mine have too, I have been trying to make a start but I think I have read too much about personal statements that I've made it even harder for myself to even attempt to write mine! Everything I write sounds too wordy and boring hahaha!

Cait

Hi Cait

Omg I could have written your post word for word lol

I recently spoke to a friend whose a registered nurse and her advice to me was to leave the opening for a bit and write the rest i.e what we bring to the course, academics, any volunteer work and what you’ve learned from it etc and then come back to the opening paragraph at the end

I’m gonna try that this week and see how it comes along

Michelle
Reply 15
Hi Cait

Omg I could have written your post word for word lol

I recently spoke to a friend whose a registered nurse and her advice to me was to leave the opening for a bit and write the rest i.e what we bring to the course, academics, any volunteer work and what you’ve learned from it etc and then come back to the opening paragraph at the end

I’m gonna try that this week and see how it comes along

Michelle

Hi Michelle

Any progress on writing your Personal Statement?

I now have a week until I start my course and I'm filled with dread because I still haven't been able to write mine..

Caitlin
Original post by caitm05
Hi Michelle

Any progress on writing your Personal Statement?

I now have a week until I start my course and I'm filled with dread because I still haven't been able to write mine..

Caitlin

Hey, do you have any work experience or volunteer work? Maybe write about that. I have none, so really don't know what to write really.
Reply 17
Original post by Andremasil
Hey, do you have any work experience or volunteer work? Maybe write about that. I have none, so really don't know what to write really.

Hey

I am a First Aider for St John Ambulance and I am also lucky enough to have completed three hospital placements whilst completing my 90 Credit Diploma in Health and Social Care. I have a lot of notes but not a clue how to put them into a Personal Statement that is interesting to read haha.

Have you looked into transferable skills from any jobs/activities you have done?
Original post by caitm05
Hey

I am a First Aider for St John Ambulance and I am also lucky enough to have completed three hospital placements whilst completing my 90 Credit Diploma in Health and Social Care. I have a lot of notes but not a clue how to put them into a Personal Statement that is interesting to read haha.

Have you looked into transferable skills from any jobs/activities you have done?

OMG, you sorted lol.. you just need to put all that into words, sentences, and paragraphs. The ucas tool is pretty good, have a go. https://www.ucasdigital.com/widgets/personalstatement/index.html#/main

I have a draft already, at college they will help us as well so I'm waiting for it to start to talk to the teacher about it. Good luck x
I'll be applying for child nursing in 2019 at Surrey and Brighton Uni's. I've been along to their open days and I really liked what I saw so hopefully one of them will have me! I start my access course in September too, and like some others I need to take along a draft PS for the first lesson. It was really difficult to put everything in there whilst trying to convey how excited I am to study nursing plus keep it under 4000 characters, I feel like I've had to cut so much out. I'm hoping it's mostly okay and my tutor doesn't ask me to rip the whole thing up and start again. I think interviews are terrifying for most people, so if it's any help remember that you're not the only one feeling nervous and I think the people interviewing you will understand and expect that you'll be nervous.

Quick Reply

Latest