Turn on thread page Beta

Is it difficult to find private study space for exam prep? watch

• View Poll Results: Do you find it hard to get private study space for exam prep?
    Yes
    62.08%
    No
    37.92%

• TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    As per the title, have you experienced difficulties finding quiet places to study during exams? If so, where did you go?

Can you get study space in public libraries and other public spaces? If not, why do you think this is?

Can you study in school after hours, or can you work at home in the evenings? If not, why is this?

Share your experiences in the comments below
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It is in school, everywhere is so crowded and noisy. Then you have the issue of trying to do A2 art in the art rooms with year 7s squealing and ruining all the paintbrushes
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    It is in school, everywhere is so crowded and noisy. Then you have the issue of trying to do A2 art in the art rooms with year 7s squealing and ruining all the paintbrushes
    I bet! I remember we had dedicated 'study areas' at my school - but these were always taken up by scary looking 6th formers :creep:

Where do you go to study instead?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by discobish)
    I bet! I remember we had dedicated 'study areas' at my school - but these were always taken up by scary looking 6th formers :creep:

Where do you go to study instead?
    As they should be :eviltongue:

i dont really anymore (no revision/exams for me at uni), i do my coursework in my room, prefer to work from home as have less anxiety in my own space. Can never concentrate in public cos my head is running at about 100mph looking for non existent threats

ReputationRep:
    In my school there were study areas, but they weren't monitored at all, and people just made so much noise. We had a corridor where the offices were, and there were tables and chairs outside for visitors to wait at before meetings - I went and sat there, got told I couldn't, so I said to the headteacher if she wanted me to get good grades I had to have somewhere that I could study (as we didn't get study leave, we had to come to school but could revise however we liked) so in the end she relented. I guess that was easier to her than actually monitoring the study rooms.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by discobish)
    As per the title, have you experienced difficulties finding quiet places to study during exams? If so, where did you go?

Can you get study space in public libraries and other public spaces? If not, why do you think this is?

Can you study in school after hours, or can you work at home in the evenings? If not, why is this?

Share your experiences in the comments below
    I managed to deal with noisy siblings and a cramped desk with no issues. Came out with okay grades still

I believe the local college/university centre where I live is open access to all so I suppose I could have gone there, but I had my creature comforts at home.

ReputationRep:
    During study leave I would either go to the library or stay at home, as my parents would be out working and my brother would be at college. While I was still at school we had a quiet room we could go to. At uni, I usually study in my room or at the library either on campus or in town, or a coffee shop somewhere

ReputationRep:
    My sixth form college have like 4 quiet study areas
    usually study there and when I go home gets quite loud lol
    so I end up putting earphones in

ReputationRep:
    In school it was difficult without thinking outside the box a bit and finding a random ass classroom that happened to not be a designated study space or a form room. Sixth form only had the one designated lil IT room, the only other IT rooms that weren't full of people were little ones that were therefore full of sixth formers, and then you had the library which during lunchtimes was usually full of loud nerd kids. Eventually you'd end up in some nonedescript 'room 7' or the geology dept or smth.

At uni I do all private study in my room at me flat 'cause the library is absolute hell on earth unless you go at stupid times in the evening. Far better selection of food in there as well tbf.

ReputationRep:
    I ended up just buying high-end sound insulation, funky headphones, some sort of active sound-cancelling system, wearing 3M earbuds, and blasting music. Made my terribly insulated bedroom the quietest place around! I also studied overnight rather than during the day.

In HS, we had a library, which always had a seat or two. Or just use the PC's. If that didn't work, just go find somewhere outside or in a random room to sit down. Sixth had a nice library, and if that didn't work there was a park next door.

ReputationRep:
    In sixth form, we had a study room - about 15 computers and 20 desks - not always quiet but it was good space for when we had free's
    I don't really work best in silence - I revise while 'watching' netflix (music distracts me too much)

For my past 4 years at uni, when I've been revising for exams, I'd go sit in a computer cluster in my school - plenty of space to do work - that's open from 9 to 5, so it was a change of scenery for a day (weren't monitored, so I could eat my lunch without a scary librarian telling me off!), then I'd go revise back at my flat in the evening

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.