The Student Room Group

Does anyone else think uni applications are unfair?

I know this sounds like a spoilt kid *****ing but hear me out first. I'm 21 and when I was applying with AAAA at AS, A*A*A predicted (went on to get A*A*A*) I didn't have the confidence to apply anywhere good due to hearing constant ******** from parents/teachers growing up (my parents were *****y benefits leeches, school was bad but not awful). I'm only starting to get a bit of academic confidence in myself years after leaving and cutting contact.

When I actually got to a merely "good" uni almost everyone came from a stable, supportive home, well over half came from private/grammar/very good state schools. I am still to find a single person who came from a really *****y background here e.g. someone who got raped by parents, beaten by parents, teen mum etc but knew many at secondary but not a single one here, and the amount who came from a just bad background (minorly abusive parents, really *****y school/unsupportive parents) is very small.

Why on earth do they have to do it at 17 when your home has such a huge effect? My brothers all dropped out at 16 and looking back it was extremely predictable, same could be said for a lot of my friends.

And before everyone states I knew 9000 people who came from a **** background and still went to a good uni, please remember there is a huge, huge difference between some chinese kid whose parents are on min wage and push him his whole life, send him to a great grammar school to the average chav who gets absolutely no guidance.
Original post by njkljlk
I know this sounds like a spoilt kid *****ing but hear me out first. I'm 21 and when I was applying with AAAA at AS, A*A*A predicted (went on to get A*A*A*) I didn't have the confidence to apply anywhere good due to hearing constant ******** from parents/teachers growing up (my parents were *****y benefits leeches, school was bad but not awful). I'm only starting to get a bit of academic confidence in myself years after leaving and cutting contact.

When I actually got to a merely "good" uni almost everyone came from a stable, supportive home, well over half came from private/grammar/very good state schools. I am still to find a single person who came from a really *****y background here e.g. someone who got raped by parents, beaten by parents, teen mum etc but knew many at secondary but not a single one here, and the amount who came from a just bad background (minorly abusive parents, really *****y school/unsupportive parents) is very small.

Why on earth do they have to do it at 17 when your home has such a huge effect? My brothers all dropped out at 16 and looking back it was extremely predictable, same could be said for a lot of my friends.

And before everyone states I knew 9000 people who came from a **** background and still went to a good uni, please remember there is a huge, huge difference between some chinese kid whose parents are on min wage and push him his whole life, send him to a great grammar school to the average chav who gets absolutely no guidance.

The underlying issues are the idiots who put the children in these situations, usually in the examples you've mentioned there, the parents.
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
The underlying issues are the idiots who put the children in these situations, usually in the examples you've mentioned there, the parents.

The problem is that the parents are only repeating the cycle of that generation. Private schools need to be abolished. All you need to do is go on LinkedIn and see that almost every single employee at every famous firm whether that’s Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan or Morgan Stanley attended private school. This segregation starts at youth, it’s involuntary but it affects a whole ton of futures and it’s not acceptable

Latest

Trending

Trending