Do we put too much pressure on young people with exams? Watch

harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Themysticalegg)
harrysbar What do you think Lady Harry?
I'm not sure, but I think young people these days have more pressure to do well in exams than used to be the case when hardly anyone went to uni and the grades you achieved were less important. As just one example, when I was at school we only had grades A,B,C etc then the A* was introduced and now the grade 9 which is effectively an A** - so someone might almost feel a failure for "only" achieving 7, whereas people used to be absolutely delighted with an A. It seems to me though that the worst pressure comes from certain parents, more so than schools. At least teachers are working in education and so have a bit of an idea about what is realistic for pupils to achieve, but some parents just seem totally unrealistic about their child's abilities. I always feel very sorry for people on TSR that are complaining about things like their parents making them do 4 A levels, or telling them they ought to be doing a STEM or Law degree, or aiming for certain unis that want AAA when they'll be lucky to get Bs and Cs. It isn't really fair in my opinion - I have to admit that my own parents were wonderfully unconcerned about my education.
Last edited by harrysbar; 3 weeks ago
Themysticalegg
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I think my generation was one of the first to get A* but the numbering system is new to me even! Around 40% of youths partake in university education nowadays I believe whilst in many parents' time it was far lower... Indeed it isn't fair I think the best philosophy is let the kids do what they want as long as they eventually become self sufficient doing whatever. (Not gonna pay for them for over 25 years ) But make them aware of the pros and cons and let them decide. It is certainly unfair to push children into getting AAA+ universities when some parents didn't even partake in tertiary education, so they don't always understand the issues and are therefore kinda out of touch. One issue is comparing yourself to others that's not fair this is what leads to 7 being seen as a failure when ultimately it's a great grade! Ultimately the kids should be set realistic expectations based on a good amount of effort and what can actually be achieved. Expecting someone who tries their best and gets BBB and getting told to aim for AAA is silly.

My mum didn't care either, worked well for both of us.
Obviously I would want my children to do well in my life, but it's ok to do what they can that's all I can ask for.
(Original post by harrysbar)
I'm not sure, but I think young people these days have more pressure to do well in exams than used to be the case when hardly anyone went to uni and the grades you achieved were less important. As just one example, when I was at school we only had grades A,B,C etc then the A* was introduced and now the grade 9 which is effectively an A** - so someone might almost feel a failure for "only" achieving 7, whereas people used to be absolutely delighted with an A. It seems to me though that the worst pressure comes from certain parents, more so than schools. At least teachers are working in education and so have a bit of an idea about what is realistic for pupils to achieve, but some parents just seem totally unrealistic about their child's abilities. I always feel very sorry for people on TSR that are complaining about things like their parents making them do 4 A levels, or telling them they ought to be doing a STEM or Law degree, or aiming for certain unis that want AAA. It isn't really fair in my opinion - I have to admit that my own parents were wonderfully unconcerned about my education.
Last edited by Themysticalegg; 3 weeks ago
Scotney
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I am sorry but I think if school league tables were abolished a lot of stress would suddenly disappear from exams.Schools are obsessed with grades starting with SAT's all the way through to A level not in the interests of their pupils but in their own league table results
999tigger
Report 3 weeks ago
I reckon the 11+ must have been the most pressure, especially for children that didnt make it and were assigned to the educational dustbin.
Scotney
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You know what actually there did not feel like there was a lot of pressure around that exam. Things were very different and expectations were different. We were not overcoached and everyone sort of knew who would pass in advance. It certainly did not dominate the curriculum as it was just a verbal reasoning test. We did not waste a year and a half being taught to the test like my kids did at the expense of our wider education.
(Original post by 999tigger)
I reckon the 11+ must have been the most pressure, especially for children that didnt make it and were assigned to the educational dustbin.
999tigger
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Scotney)
You know what actually there did not feel like there was a lot of pressure around that exam. Things were very different and expectations were different. We were not overcoached and everyone sort of knew who would pass in advance. It certainly did not dominate the curriculum as it was just a verbal reasoning test. We did not waste a year and a half being taught to the test like my kids did at the expense of our wider education.
Before my time. Perhaps people lacked self awareness of the significance.

I just think weve seen it all before and they arent the first students to take exams. They have the internet which is the greatest resource ever invented.
What they could probably do with is decent careers advice as well as some mentoring.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.83%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
9.99%
No I am happy with my course choice (400)
57.06%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (99)
14.12%

Watched Threads