The Student Room Group

Italian minister calls for expulsion of "none Italian" Roma

interior minister, Matteo Salvini, has ordered a new census of the country’s Roma community, as he continues his drive to root out and expel “foreigners”

The call for a new “register” and for all non-Italian Roma to be expelled
On Monday he ordered the census and the removal of all non-Italian Roma which he called an “answer to the Roma question” and said he wanted to know “who, and how many” there were.

“Unfortunately we will have to keep the Italian Roma because we can’t expel them,” Salvini said on Telelombardia.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jun/19/italy-coalition-rift-roma-register-matteo-salvini

@anarchism101

Given this guys expressed sadness at not being able to expel all the Roma, it is pretty clear Europe is giving power to poeple who would ethnically cleanse Europe if given the chance and they are doing the very best whilst still having to operate in a framework where there is still such things as human rights and rule of law.

The Roma were also the second largest group to be killed in the Holocaust. Imagine if this was all being said about Jews in Italy.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It does make sense. Europe for Europeans.
Reply 2
Personally i have no objection, he is not removing Italian citizens.

I'd also add that potential constitutional issues aside, polling suggests that the League would gain in an election (also looks like the Sewdish Democrats may come a close second in September so this type of thing will only be more common).
To be honest , it's unfortunate but the only real question is why it is taken so long for this to start happening anyway.
Italy has born the brunt of the illegal emigrants being delivered across the Med by Ngo boats for two years now.
At one point 10000 landed in one town in one weekend.
In the face of such numbers it strikes me that they've been rather generous up to now.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by howtochangename
It does make sense. Europe for Europeans.

What nationalities are the Roma in Italy? Half are italian (i.e European), are you sure many of the remainder aren't also European?
Original post by Just my opinion
To be honest the only question is why it is taking so long for this to start happening anyway.
Italy has born the brunt of the illegal emigrants being delivered across the Med by Ngo boats for two years now.
At one point 10000 landed in one town in one weekend.
In the face of such numbers it strikes me that they've been rather generous up to now.

The roma living in italy have been there for generations.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
interior minister, Matteo Salvini, has ordered a new census of the country’s Roma community, as he continues his drive to root out and expel “foreigners”

On Monday he ordered the census and the removal of all non-Italian Roma which he called an “answer to the Roma question” and said he wanted to know “who, and how many” there were.

“Unfortunately we will have to keep the Italian Roma because we can’t expel them,” Salvini said on Telelombardia.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jun/19/italy-coalition-rift-roma-register-matteo-salvini

@anarchism101

Given this guys expressed sadness at not being able to expel all the Roma, it is pretty clear Europe is giving power to poeple who would ethnically cleanse Europe if given the chance and they are doing the very best whilst still having to operate in a framework where there is still such things as human rights and rule of law.

The Roma were also the second largest group to be killed in the Holocaust. Imagine if this was all being said about Jews in Italy.

Mussolini's Italy was one of he safest places in Europe to be Roma during WWII.
Original post by nulli tertius

Why am I not suprised you are or pro Mussolini.

@anarchism101

Thankfully it's not going to happen and Salvini knows it. Berlusconi tried the exact same thing and the courts blocked it, so they inevitably would again.

But yeah, ****ing disgusting to hear an ostensibly democratic politician openly call for ethnic cleansing. Especially essentially of the grandchildren of the people his own grandparents helped send to the gas chambers....
Why am I not suprised you are or pro Mussolini.

I am not pro-Mussolini, but it is a quirky fact given the events of today.

Any truth in this @anarchism101 ?
Any truth in this @anarchism101 ?

Given that Mussolini introduced Nuremburg-style race laws in 1938, and many concentration camps were set up for them later in the war, I personally find it hard to believe.

That said, gypsies were hit even harder than Jews by the holocaust, so maybe they were a bit better off in Italy (which had plenty of anti-fascist activists) compared to near-extermination elsewhere (where most Europeans gleefully helped the Germans stuff them into concentration camps).
By Roma did he mean gypsies? If so, then I am ok with it.
Original post by Chucke1992
By Roma did he mean gypsies? If so, then I am ok with it.

What do you have against gypsies?
Original post by Constantine2018
What do you have against gypsies?

Let just say - those who support them never dealt with those guys personally. Though I am not sure whether they are that different from gipsies in my country and Russia, but if they are the same - I would send them to some chechen republic. And build a wall.

They are responsible for many crimes - drug dealing, children kidnapping (from time to time you get news like a guy after ~20years returned home from slavery (kidnapped by them in the childhood) or when they drug children and ask for money in the underground), stealing (quite often they occupy train stations and try to rob people using their common practice, prefer doing it withto girls), illegal activities. My country is rather calm in that regard - less corrupted police as it does not cover their activities. So from time to time police deals with them lol

Most of defenders, are usually live far away and never deal with problematic groups of people personally.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by AngeryPenguin
Given that Mussolini introduced Nuremburg-style race laws in 1938, and many concentration camps were set up for them later in the war, I personally find it hard to believe.

Yeah those were my thoughts. But maybe Mussolini loved the Roma for all I know.

@nulli tertius wanna respond how the guy who allied with Hitler was good for the people who Hitler exterminated on mass?
(edited 5 years ago)
This new government is crazy!

Forms a majority by a stroke of luck and coalitions, not all sharing these hardline views.....

Turns away a migrant ship harshly, tells migrants to start packing.....

and wants to track Romas????, previously expressed interest in bulldozing their settlements

"as for the Italian Roma, unfortunately you have to keep them at home" - how can any human with a sense of true humanity support this statement - singling out an entire group of people with legitimate rights to be in Italy
Original post by Rakas21
Personally i have no objection, he is not removing Italian citizens.

He would like to though.

If there was a break down in rule of law and human rights all bets are off.
Yeah those were my thoughts. But maybe Mussolini loved the Roma for all I know.

@nulli tertius wanna respond how the guy who allied with Hitler was good for the people who Hitler exterminated on mass?

I have no reason to believe he loved them but here are some statistics and you will note the absence of any suggestion that the Italian death toll has been under-counted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porajmos#Estimated_number_of_victims
I have no reason to believe he loved them but here are some statistics and you will note the absence of any suggestion that the Italian death toll has been under-counted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porajmos#Estimated_number_of_victims

So 4% of the roma population in Italy were killed?

There must have also been persecution that extended that.

Whilst it is not as high as in say Poland how is this really a good thing? Italy exterminated roma. There are no medals for doing a smaller holocaust.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply