Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    do the top universities like Oxford or Cambridge really need a whole lot of extra curricular activities and lots of work experience and charity/volunteer work?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt think so, I think 3 or 4 A*s would be plenty. Noone really reads your CV

ReputationRep:
    You need super-curricular stuff, not extra-curricular. This means going above and beyond with stuff related to your subject area and not just attending lessons and doing the A-Level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MayoJack)
    You need super-curricular stuff, not extra-curricular. This means going above and beyond with stuff related to your subject area and not just attending lessons and doing the A-Level.
    like what though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unknown45678abc)
    like what though?
    If you wanted to study computer science you could create a website where you showed people how to code. Or set puzzles related to finding a bug for people. Basically it has to relate to your subject but really push you further
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AliG_)
    If you wanted to study computer science you could create a website where you showed people how to code. Or set puzzles related to finding a bug for people. Basically it has to relate to your subject but really push you further
    okay thanks

ReputationRep:
    do any of you know if the EPQ qualification is valued at university? or if it is better to do 4 A-levels?

ReputationRep:
    do any of you know if the EPQ qualification is valued at university? or if it is better to do 4 A-levels?
    Oxford and Cambridge will like it because it shows you can go further with your study independently but to be honest they don’t include it in an offer and it doesn’t really matter to the offer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AliG_)
    Oxford and Cambridge will like it because it shows you can go further with your study independently but to be honest they don’t include it in an offer and it doesn’t really matter to the offer
    so in other words if i didn't do it and someone else did, it wouldn't affect my chances?

ReputationRep:
    so in other words if i didn't do it and someone else did, it wouldn't affect my chances?
    Not really no. They only care about alevel. What are you hoping to study?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AliG_)
    Not really no. They only care about alevel. What are you hoping to study?
    English lit, history, psycology and economics. what about you?

ReputationRep:
    I want to study PPE but I’m currently taking Maths, Economics, History and Politics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AliG_)
    I want to study PPE but I’m currently taking Maths, Economics, History and Politics
    it may be different but how do u find history and economics? what are u studying in history?

ReputationRep:
    it may be different but how do u find history and economics? what are u studying in history?
    I find economics really interesting because it’s all my subjects rolled into one. History is also really good, I’m studying French Revolution, Britain 1930-1997 and Russia 1865-1964. What about yourself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AliG_)
    I find economics really interesting because it’s all my subjects rolled into one. History is also really good, I’m studying French Revolution, Britain 1930-1997 and Russia 1865-1964. What about yourself?
    history is french revolution, Britain, american race relations and the Vietnam war

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.