The Student Room Group

Self-conscious about my hair - what do I do?

A couple of days ago, I intended on getting braids (like i usually do every once in a while) since my prom is on Thursday. However, when the hairdressers found out my prom is so soon they recommended that I get a weave. And I, having never worn a weave before and thought it would actually look pretty, decided to go along with this because I trusted them (esp since i’ve been going to this hairdresser since childhood).

At first the weave looked very nice, it still does but I have a problem - when i want to do hairstyles with it, even a ponytail, my weave tracks/parts where they braided my hair at the front to input the strands on shows and my hair looks fake. I’m quite self-conscious about this because I’m not very comfortable with wearing hair that’s clearly not my own and going out with it in public, I wanted it to look realistic and plus I can’t even brush it properly, if I do some strands will come off. Is this even normal? Because when I type on google images weaves to compare, they’re always blended with the scalp but mine is clearly not. I agreed with the hairdresser when she said I should change my look up for prom, but now I realise that maybe I should have stuck with braids instead.

Also, I was thinking of taking these extensions off after prom and getting braids but this was so time-consuming and cost quite a lot, it would take at least 4 hours to get it off and I’d have to pay more for the braids as well. But at the same time, I’m going to quite a lot of sixth form/college induction days in a few weeks and I don’t want to make a weird first impression because of my obviously-fake hair. I’m also going on NCS and I know that if there are water activities, it would ruin it
Reply 1
As a fellow hair fanatic, I believe that good hair makes a good mood, why would you want to go to prom (one of the best nights of your life) fixing your hair in the toilets and feeling self conscious. The most important thing is that you feel confident and free in your appearance in my opinion. If I were you I would get braids, plus it sounds like they are your gut instinct and it does sound like the most practical solution to be honest.
Original post by Pizza32
As a fellow hair fanatic, I believe that good hair makes a good mood, why would you want to go to prom (one of the best nights of your life) fixing your hair in the toilets and feeling self conscious. The most important thing is that you feel confident and free in your appearance in my opinion. If I were you I would get braids, plus it sounds like they are your gut instinct and it does sound like the most practical solution to be honest.

But my weave is already on just as the hairdressers recommended, it took so much time and money and it would be a waste to just take it off, especially since it hasn’t even been a week. it’s meant to last up to 2 months
Reply 3
Original post by diamondionysx
But my weave is already on just as the hairdressers recommended, it took so much time and money and it would be a waste to just take it off, especially since it hasn’t even been a week. it’s meant to last up to 2 months

You can’t put a price on good memories in my opinion, but it’s your decision , especially because you’ll be paying for it
Original post by Pizza32
You can’t put a price on good memories in my opinion, but it’s your decision , especially because you’ll be paying for it

But it’s already done
I say don't take out the weave, and try getting used to it. Taking out weave is a pain - especially when it costs money. The weave that was "blended" had leave outs but you have a full head weave, am I right? Try making a small plait at the back, no ponytails required. And if you are self-conscious, absolutely nobody cares whether somebody wears their hair natural, relaxed, in a weave or braids/twists. I got my hair fried (straightened) for prom and had to cut it before NCS. Even though it was a mess (and smelled burned!!!!!) nobody actually cared about my hair. In fact, being self-conscious and neurotic at NCS made my experience worse. Just try to relax and be comfortable despite it all.
But if you are truly uncomfortable and can't stand the hair whatsoever, if looking into the mirror puts you in a state of severe anxiety, take it out. It's not worth your happiness.
Original post by ImagineZelda
I say don't take out the weave, and try getting used to it. Taking out weave is a pain - especially when it costs money. The weave that was "blended" had leave outs but you have a full head weave, am I right? Try making a small plait at the back, no ponytails required. And if you are self-conscious, absolutely nobody cares whether somebody wears their hair natural, relaxed, in a weave or braids/twists. I got my hair fried (straightened) for prom and had to cut it before NCS. Even though it was a mess (and smelled burned!!!!!) nobody actually cared about my hair. In fact, being self-conscious and neurotic at NCS made my experience worse. Just try to relax and be comfortable despite it all.

were there any water activities at NCS? because the hairdresser said that i absolutely can’t get the weave wet otherwise it’s gonna get tangled, and that would make me even more self conscious tbh

Quick Reply

Latest