in organic chemistry, what does it mean to say two atoms are in the same"environment"

Watch this thread
xxNoodlezxx
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
This is probably a stupid question, but in a question I saw, two deuterium atoms are protruding from a central carbon (the other two bonds are one to a fluorine atom and one to a normal hydrogen) and it says the deuterium atoms are in the same environment. I wanted to know what this meant exactly? I assume it means something like they are coming from the came carbon at the same tetrahedral angle or something?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Organics
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
It means that the surroundings of the atoms in a molecule are indistinguishable from one another. The surroundings of the atoms must be totally equivalent, they cannot simply be attached to the same type of atom, second and successive neighbours must also be exactly the same for both atoms, for them to be in equivalent environments.

The example you gave is correct (two D's attached to the same atom) but it is not the only case where atoms are in the same environment.

I have attached some examples, which I hope will make my explanation clearer.
Attached files
xxNoodlezxx
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Organics)
It means that the surroundings of the atoms in a molecule are indistinguishable from one another. The surroundings of the atoms must be totally equivalent, they cannot simply be attached to the same type of atom, second and successive neighbours must also be exactly the same for both atoms, for them to be in equivalent environments.

The example you gave is correct (two D's attached to the same atom) but it is not the only case where atoms are in the same environment.

I have attached some examples, which I hope will make my explanation clearer.
Ahh, thank you so much for the explanation!! It makes sense now
Organics
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
No problem
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (61)
40.4%