SomeGuy12212
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am in year 11 and have just done the OCR FSMQ Additional maths qualification. I am also predicted a 9 in normal maths. My worry is that I have found the additional maths qualification challenging, I believe that I will be able to scrape an A (highest grade) but i don't understand the concepts too well. Bear in mind that I have had only 1 lesson every 2 weeks but still I am worried because i am looking to do further maths a level. Does this mean that I am not good enough for an A* in further maths a level and that people who get those would have found the FSMQ easy? So should i take further maths a level or not?
seanladd12
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
At my school only people who get close to full marks are being Allowed to do further maths
yusyus
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by jman3-2-2-2)
I am in year 11 and have just done the OCR FSMQ Additional maths qualification. I am also predicted a 9 in normal maths. My worry is that I have found the additional maths qualification challenging, I believe that I will be able to scrape an A (highest grade) but i don't understand the concepts too well. Bear in mind that I have had only 1 lesson every 2 weeks but still I am worried because i am looking to do further maths a level. Does this mean that I am not good enough for an A* in further maths a level and that people who get those would have found the FSMQ easy? So should i take further maths a level or not?
You can definitely do it and get an A*, since its a new spec the grade boundaries will likely be low as well.
I would suggest working for a bit this summer solidifying your knowledge of certain topics and learning new topics - that way you will be ahead in class.
Most people in my school didn't do further maths GCSE because they weren't good enough but they still do well in further maths a level.
SomeGuy12212
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by seanladd12)
At my school only people who get close to full marks are being Allowed to do further maths
In normal maths gcse or in FSMQ additional maths?
Avaflower100
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey! I did the FMSQ 2 years ago and am currently doing AS further maths at a level. I’d only advise taking further maths if you’re sure it won’t interfere with your other a levels. At the end of the day the only thing that matters is getting into uni (or wherever you’re planning to go after a levels). Universities don’t usually consider further maths as an A level, and it isn’t usually helpful unless you’re applying for a maths related course. I know a few people who took full further maths and then dropped it after a year because it took too much time out of their other subjects. If you want you could do the same - give it a try and if it’s too much I’m sure it wouldn’t be a problem to drop it.
What other subjects have you chosen? And do you have any idea of what course you want to apply for?
seanladd12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Normal gvse maths although all FM people doing it next year did the FSMQ exam and are grade 9. I asked my teacher if an 8 is enough and they said this year's class has only grade 9 people and apparently the ones with 8s drop out of it
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I got a C in Edexcel Further Pure Maths IGCSE. I think I improved a lot during the summer because I've been doing very well for all of year 12. We've finished the whole of A-level maths and we're doing Further next year.
Prasiortle
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sinnoh)
I got a C in Edexcel Further Pure Maths IGCSE. I think I improved a lot during the summer because I've been doing very well for all of year 12. We've finished the whole of A-level maths and we're doing Further next year.
IGCSE Further Pure Maths is very different - it actually includes a lot of A-Level content, whereas GCSE Further Maths is mostly just harder GCSE topics along with a bit of AS content.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (147)
15.67%
Uncertainty around my education (154)
16.42%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (88)
9.38%
Isolating with family (65)
6.93%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (34)
3.62%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (82)
8.74%
Loneliness (95)
10.13%
Financial worries (39)
4.16%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (85)
9.06%
Exposure to negative news/social media (64)
6.82%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (85)
9.06%

Watched Threads