The Student Room Group

E0 value confusion

basically i watched two vids and they saying different things.
for an equation like this A+ + e- > A and let say the E0 value was originally-0.90 if i was to increase the concentration of A+ would E0 be more negative?
Original post by Iconic_panda
basically i watched two vids and they saying different things.
for an equation like this A+ + e- > A and let say the E0 value was originally-0.90 if i was to increase the concentration of A+ would E0 be more negative?

No. EA would become more positive, hence Ecell would become less positive.

You can think of the cell potential as an equilibrium constant. As you increase A+, the equilibrium will shift to the right. We know with normal equilibrium theory that as the equilibrium shifts to the right, the equilibrium constant becomes more positive. It works in exactly the same way here - the equilibrium shifts to the right so EA becomes more positive.

You can also think of it this way - if [A+] increases, then according to the equation, more electrons will reduce the increased amount of A+ and so less electrons will be in the system. Since electrons are negatively charged, less electrons in the system will make EA more positive.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Kian Stevens
No. EA would become more positive, hence Ecell would become less positive.

You can think of the cell potential as an equilibrium constant. As you increase A+, the equilibrium will shift to the right. We know with normal equilibrium theory that as the equilibrium shifts to the right, the equilibrium constant becomes more positive. It works in exactly the same way here - the equilibrium shifts to the right so EA becomes more positive.

You can also think of it this way - if [A+] increases, then according to the equation, more electrons will reduce the increased amount of A+ and so less electrons will be in the system. Since electrons are negatively charged, less electrons in the system will make EA more positive.

This will only be the case if the electrode potential of the other half-cell is less negative.

For example:

A+(aq) + 1e <==> A(s) ....... = -0.9 V
Li+(a) + 1e <==> Li(s) ...............Eº = -3.0 V

Cell potential = 2.1V

if A+(aq) is increased the value of Ecell becomes LESS negative and the cell potential increases.
Original post by charco
This will only be the case if the electrode potential of the other half-cell is less negative.

For example:

A+(aq) + 1e <==> A(s) ....... = -0.9 V
Li+(a) + 1e <==> Li(s) ...............Eº = -3.0 V

Cell potential = 2.1V

if A+(aq) is increased the value of Ecell becomes LESS negative and the cell potential increases.

Thanks for clarifying my answer.

I should've probably made all that a bit more clear at the time of answering.

Quick Reply

Latest