Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm in secondry school and i Still suck a baby's dummy, is this weird?

ReputationRep:
    Very weird

ReputationRep:
    yes, ngl most people have weird addictions and this just happens to be yours. I recommend you replace it with something else
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IDislikeUsnames)
    I'm in secondry school and i Still suck a baby's dummy, is this weird?
    i knew a girl who did that but went all out with it; baby clothes, diapers, dummies, etc etc. She said it was a coping mechanism for traumatic stuff that happened to her; it’s called “age regression”
    Maybe that’s what you’re doing without knowing about it? Look into it

ReputationRep:
    I know a few people who still stuck their thumb as like a comfort thing, but I do think sucking a dummy is a bit odd. That being said, it's a free country and you're not hurting anyone, so go for it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Can't that mess up your teeth?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    This was a trend among secondary school kids in the 90s. So more outdated than anything!

ReputationRep:
    So you like to suck things?

ReputationRep:
    Just make sure you don't begin "sucking" other things
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Everyone has their kinks

I actually HAVE to use a pacifier. I'm on a CPAP machine and use nasal pillows but, after having too much air leakage, it was suggested I try the pacifier after not being happy with the chinstrap which wasn't working well anyway. It took awhile to find the right type of pacifier as the "orthodontic" ones were too narrow. I finally found one by Cuddulz called "Blue" which is more "old fashioned" looking and it worked flawlessly.

As for teeth, yes, my uppers have moved forward about 2 millimeters after 6 months but, for me, a good night's sleep is well worth it and the movement has made it slightly more comfortable, even though it was so before. It can be a bit addicting though because, now, I find it hard to go to sleep without it and don't even try not using it as a result. It now stays in my mouth the whole night, easily. It totally stops any air leakage and fits very well. If my uppers continue to move forward I expect that to be a mere accommodation and fully accept it for its benefits.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it would do any harm apart from mess up the alignment of you're teeth. You may get bullied though if in public. Maybe chew gum instead?

ReputationRep:
    Um

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 25, 2018
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.