Why is it seen as trendy to be conservative?? Watch

EnterUsername.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Genuinely feel most are not that conservative at heart, but want to be a political minority taking on the majority.....
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Cant say ive come across this... if anything outing yourself as a conservative, when you're younger at least, is likely to get you clubbed to death by the morally virtuous.
ddoy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't think the majority of young conservatives are doing it just for attention. I myself am not a conservative but many of my conservative friends hold those views because they are conservative 'at heart'. Obviously though, some people do just do it for attention. You can easily tell who those kinds of people are - there the ones who change the subject specifically so they can get across their political agenda. Also they don't talk about a large number of issues and almost never talk about the economy. They always talk about SJWs, terrorism etc.etc anything that will get them a reaction.
e^iπ
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ddoy)
I don't think the majority of young conservatives are doing it just for attention. I myself am not a conservative but many of my conservative friends hold those views because they are conservative 'at heart'. Obviously though, some people do just do it for attention. You can easily tell who those kinds of people are - there the ones who change the subject specifically so they can get across their political agenda. Also they don't talk about a large number of issues and almost never talk about the economy. They always talk about SJWs, terrorism etc.etc anything that will get them a reaction.
I agree, I've seen many "plastic" conservatives (or ateasr they think they are).

It seems many of them will try and talk about controversial issues to attract attention. Most of them tap into the toxic political debate that is US politics and so try to emulate some of the leading conservative speakers there by bashing SJWs and PC culture
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Davij038
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ddoy)
Interesting

1: would you say there’s an equivalent group of attention seekers on the left?

2: why is prioritising social issues above economic ones attention seeking? The issues are more emotive certainly, and whilst there are trolls this doesn’t mean that people aren’t sincerely concerned about social issues.

3: the centrality of economics, whilst undoubtedly important has been a useful tool in stifling debate the consequences of which we are seeing today. Had the establishment been less concerned about GDP and more concerned with the dignity and well being of their population, we would probably not be seeing the reaction we are seeing now.

4: Simply talking about economics is hugely boring to most people irrespective of where you are politically, and ultimately most people are I think motivated by what they perceive as morally right than who has the most realistic economic policy. This sums up the U.K. situation nicely.
Luke5125
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by EnterUsername.)
Genuinely feel most are not that conservative at heart, but want to be a political minority taking on the majority.....
Never seen it to be trendy, being left womg and liberal is trendy
e^iπ
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Davij038)
Interesting

1: would you say there’s an equivalent group of attention seekers on the left?

2: why is prioritising social issues above economic ones attention seeking? The issues are more emotive certainly, and whilst there are trolls this doesn’t mean that people aren’t sincerely concerned about social issues.

3: the centrality of economics, whilst undoubtedly important has been a useful tool in stifling debate the consequences of which we are seeing today. Had the establishment been less concerned about GDP and more concerned with the dignity and well being of their population, we would probably not be seeing the reaction we are seeing now.

4: Simply talking about economics is hugely boring to most people irrespective of where you are politically, and ultimately most people are I think motivated by what they perceive as morally right than who has the most realistic economic policy. This sums up the U.K. situation nicely.
1. I don't think there is tbh, In America where it is extremely polarised yes but over here no.

2. It's because the social issues that are brought up by attention seeking conservatives and liberals don't really have that big of an effect on most peoples lives. Take SJWs for example, I doubt many people have even met a stereotypical SJW in person as opposed to ranting about them on the internet.

Most people don't like talking about economics as it takes years of studying it to understand it properly, social issues on the other hand are entertaining to discuss albeit having little effect on the general state of the country
FakeNewsEditor
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Luke5125)
Never seen it to be trendy, being left womg and liberal is trendy
Right now, being reactionary is all the rage. Hence the right-wing populist victories in the US and Europe.

Generally speaking, you're right. Being on the left has historically been the "trendy" spot on the political spectrum. Not right now though.
username3025040
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Not being an SJW =/= conservative, but a lot of people don’t seem to see that.
Davij038
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by e^iπ)
1. I don't think there is tbh, In America where it is extremely polarised yes but over here no.

2. It's because the social issues that are brought up by attention seeking conservatives and liberals don't really have that big of an effect on most peoples lives. Take SJWs for example, I doubt many people have even met a stereotypical SJW in person as opposed to ranting about them on the internet.

Most people don't like talking about economics as it takes years of studying it to understand it properly, social issues on the other hand are entertaining to discuss albeit having little effect on the general state of the country
1: disagre, have you met any of the momentum crowd.

2: I actually have met loads,including some of my family and friends despite being very socially right wing.

Additionally-

There are lots of things the left are passionate about which don’t realky have any bearing on them- eg white liberals complaining about racism or climate change despite this having no real impact on their day to day lives- or about the rights of Muslims say who make up a tiny percent of the population.

On your last point, couldn’t disagree more.

The (political) destruction of the family has had a tremendous, far reaching impact and has had huge social and monetary costs for instance.

Social policy is I would wager even harder to grasp than economics which is itself driven by human behaviour. There is also significant correlation between the two. For instance how opening up the labour market to women and immigration had a huge economic impact or that the failed economic policies of the Soviet Union paradoxically lead to a more conservative outlook as when you are in poverty you revert back to more natural modes of living- eg people don’t worry about Trans rights when they’re starving.
G.Y
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by EnterUsername.)
I regard young conservatives as people who have simply been brainwashed by their parents. Usually have no mates in the world and so their only influence is 2 adults they’re desperately attached to.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Conservatism is all about taking responsibility for yourself and your actions. If you prefer to blame other people and be a whiny fun-sponge then the Left Wing is your spiritual home

e^iπ
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
1: disagre, have you met any of the momentum crowd.

2: I actually have met loads,including some of my family and friends despite being very socially right wing.

Additionally-

There are lots of things the left are passionate about which don’t realky have any bearing on them- eg white liberals complaining about racism or climate change despite this having no real impact on their day to day lives- or about the rights of Muslims say who make up a tiny percent of the population.

On your last point, couldn’t disagree more.

The (political) destruction of the family has had a tremendous, far reaching impact and has had huge social and monetary costs for instance.

Social policy is I would wager even harder to grasp than economics which is itself driven by human behaviour. There is also significant correlation between the two. For instance how opening up the labour market to women and immigration had a huge economic impact or that the failed economic policies of the Soviet Union paradoxically lead to a more conservative outlook as when you are in poverty you revert back to more natural modes of living- eg people don’t worry about Trans rights when they’re starving.
Very good reply, I am now convinced that social policy is as important as economic.

I think the most money has to be diverted to education as this is where many of the problems in society start. School is no longer a place for learning but more of a social club for many and the results of this can be seen as Britain becomes less prominent on the global stage.

Many people complain about immigrants stealing jobs but can you really blame the people hiring them? Yes some of them do undercut British workers but a vast majority of them are willing to work harder than I he average Briton.
Davij038
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by G.Y)
I regard young conservatives as people who have simply been brainwashed by their parents. Usually have no mates in the world and so their only influence is 2 adults they’re desperately attached to.
I’m very conservative and my mum is a Lib Dem and my Dad is a hard core Corbynista. I used to be very left wing.

People are indeed influenced by their parents but it works both ways.
Gkaizerking
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by G.Y)
People who think others are brainwashed(without any real evidence) are often brainwashed themselves.
tashkent46
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m very conservative and my mum is a Lib Dem and my Dad is a hard core Corbynista. I used to be very left wing.

People are indeed influenced by their parents but it works both ways.
My dad UKIP (probably, not sure if he ever voted), Mum votes Labour. I vote Labour but I would call myself a conservative, just not the kind of US or British variant. I believe in conserving the common law and making change slowly, and not rushing into the grand ideals some in the Labour party have. I disagree with the minority, poor bashing Tories, who have actually enacted more rapid change than any previous government in the last fifty or so years.
gtd2018
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's partially to do with what circle you're living in. An Indian at a private school in Surrey is going to be more leaning towards the Tories, whereas a Muslim at a comprehensive in Bradford is going to be more Labour. It didn't get to me that a lot of people from northern or lower class schools didn't realise how much support the Tories had at private schools and in more middle class areas.

It's also to note that most Tory voters tend to prefer voting in they home constituencies so often don't tally in university constituencies. A lot of biases exist but I don't understand why right-wing media don't really report them.

For example, my parents historically voted for Labour, and I've often leaned towards the Lib Dems, but most of my friends (white) are Tory so I also feel obliged to vote Tory. I've also told my parents to vote Tory and I think they have too.
Davij038
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by tashkent46)
My dad UKIP (probably, not sure if he ever voted), Mum votes Labour. I vote Labour but I would call myself a conservative, just not the kind of US or British variant. I believe in conserving the common law and making change slowly, and not rushing into the grand ideals some in the Labour party have. I disagree with the minority, poor bashing Tories, who have actually enacted more rapid change than any previous government in the last fifty or so years.
Blue labour then.

Whilst the Tories have been radical, especially this insane government, the most radical government by far in living memory was Blair’s.

Whilst there is a conservative element in labour, I see far more chance of the Tories becoming more economically left wing than labour has of being socially conservative. Also the Blue Labour element in my experience is despised even more so than the blairites, who are incredibly unpopular as it is.
Abcdefghijk123
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It’s not trendy around where I live.
Trinculo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I can't think of anyone that thinks like this.

There are kids who get into whatever political bent because they like the tribalism and belonging - so I can see that a person might get into a particular left or right or special inerest sect because they like being part of a club - but I don't see anyone saying "i'm going to be a Tory because it's cool"

Conservatism just isn't about protest or change - and these are the trendy things.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are cats selfish

Yes (139)
61.23%
No (88)
38.77%

Watched Threads