The Student Room Group

uni american studies/linguistics

Hi!
I am currently in Year 12 and in the midst of looking around open days whilst also obviously been looking at different courses to study. I have found an interest and am thinking about studying either American Studies or English Language/Linguistics.

If anyone is studying either these courses or in the realms of these at uni, I would really appreciate any sort of information about them! It would also be helpful to know what A-Levels you took & resulted grades; as well as the uni you attend!

Thank you in advance!!
Reply 1
Hi!
I am currently in Year 12 and in the midst of looking around open days whilst also obviously been looking at different courses to study. I have found an interest and am thinking about studying either American Studies or English Language/Linguistics.

If anyone is studying either these courses or in the realms of these at uni, I would really appreciate any sort of information about them! It would also be helpful to know what A-Levels you took & resulted grades; as well as the uni you attend!

Thank you in advance!!
Original post by issy w
Hi!

Thank you in advance!!

Hey Issy,

I've just finished my degree in English language at Sheffield Hallam University. I took English language, art, and French at A-level!

I basically took English language because it turned out to be my favourite subject at sixth form, and that hasn't changed since studying it at uni. Even though courses between unis differ really greatly, I like that the modules are quite broad and I've learned about topics I wouldn't have expected to! It's been way more interesting and insightful than the A-level course, that's for sure. :smile:

I know there's a lot to think about, but I would definitely recommend looking closely at each course and checking out the modules. Unis differ quite a lot; some I looked at were really scientific (e.g. looking into syntax and grammar in quite formulaic ways), while others were more sociological (e.g. language variation, social context, the origins of communication, English across the world, etc.). This is pretty important because some aspects of English language might be way more interesting to you than others, and the more you enjoy your course the better!

Let me know if you have any specific questions, I'd be more than happy to answer :biggrin:

Ellie
Reply 3
Hi Ellie,

Thank you for replying! I will definitely look in detail at each course and their modules varying at different unis - something I hadn't specifically thought about before.
Hope things go well for you!

Issy
Original post by issy w
Hi!

Thank you in advance!!

What kind of American Studies degree are you interested in? Some focus on American history and politics, others focus on American literature and culture, and some involve a mixture of both, sometimes with added Canadian and/or Caribbean society/language electives.
My Uni, Uni of Nottingham is quite good at American studies and English, even our vice-chancellor is american lol.
I know the Freie Universität Berlin in Germany has a very good American Studies degree taught in English, if you were feeling adventurous that might be worth considering (plus no tuition fees!).
Reply 7
Original post by Snufkin
What kind of American Studies degree are you interested in? Some focus on American history and politics, others focus on American literature and culture, and some involve a mixture of both, sometimes with added Canadian and/or Caribbean society/language electives.

Hi,
I'm thinking more along the lines of American literature and culture - but think I need to look at different modules that different unis offer?
I do American and Canadian studies at Nottingham (includes American history, literature and culture) and I absolutely love it. I was very unsure about what I wanted to do at uni and took a bit of a gamble on amstudies and I'm so glad I did. Its all so interesting, especially my culture modules (have studied Hamilton, orange is the new black etc, gun culture, feminism movements etc.) its not too challenging for a degree, but it is very hard to get a first in at Nottingham, unlike courses such as maths and the sciences etc. Another option which lots of uni offer is joint honors English lit and amstudies which I know a lot of people do and enjoy. Hope this helps, ask away if you have any more questions :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest