The Student Room Group

Becoming a student midwife with a common assault conviction.

Hi all,

Yesterday my wife completed her access course meeting the entry requirements for her chosen uni, unfortunately 8 years ago she was convicted of common assault. She has informed the university of this throughout the entire application process. She just found out that her place in the uni is at risk due to her spent conviction and that she must attend a meeting with the course leader and the DBS manager on site. This has caused her a lot of worry and she's adamant that her place will be rejected due to this. I'd like to ask any of you if anyone has been accepted with a conviction like this and what her chances are of being able to study as a midwife. Also if anyone has attended these meetings for dbs checks and what they entail or what to expect.
Any advice at all positive or negative I would really appreciate anything at all as this means everything to my wife. Thanks. L
(edited 5 years ago)
Unfortunately, it can be difficult to secure a job working with vulnerable people, and children with a conviction, but not impossible.

Most likely the meeting will be to discuss what happened surrounding the event, and ask for an explanation. Then a panel will decide if your wife is safe to work in this environment.
My friend had a ASBO and managed to secure a place on a medical course, showing lots of remorse and explaining the difficult times he was experiencing when he committed the offence.

A similar-ish thread here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=75801576&highlight=

Good luck.
Reply 2
Original post by Cheesychips1
Unfortunately, it can be difficult to secure a job working with vulnerable people, and children with a conviction, but not impossible.

Most likely the meeting will be to discuss what happened surrounding the event, and ask for an explanation. Then a panel will decide if your wife is safe to work in this environment.
My friend had a ASBO and managed to secure a place on a medical course, showing lots of remorse and explaining the difficult times he was experiencing when he committed the offence.

A similar-ish thread here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=75801576&highlight=

Good luck.

Hi thanks so much for replying, yeah it is very difficult for her she's worked her arse off for a year on her access course and she got full marks and now all that could be at jeopardy because of a silly mistake she made 8 years ago.
Thanks again
Original post by Leigh570
Hi thanks so much for replying, yeah it is very difficult for her she's worked her arse off for a year on her access course and she got full marks and now all that could be at jeopardy because of a silly mistake she made 8 years ago.
Thanks again

Dude, tell us why she did it
Original post by Leigh570
Thanks again

TBH it was so long ago, and it sounds like she's incredibly remorseful, I'm sure that will shine through and the panel will confirm her place on the course.

fingers crossed for you
Reply 5
Original post by Kingof42ndStreet
Dude, tell us why she did it

I'm not going to disclose that but she was a young jealous girl with a very silly ex.
Reply 6
Original post by Cheesychips1
TBH it was so long ago, and it sounds like she's incredibly remorseful, I'm sure that will shine through and the panel will confirm her place on the course.

fingers crossed for you

Thanks very much we nervously awaite her invitation through the post for her to attend an interview or meeting. She's very very sorry your right. Thanks again.
Reply 7
Believe me, my CBS is criminal. Hopeful I can put down experience. Maybe come in handie as hope to go into mental health.
Hi, I know this is 2 years on but I am going through exactly the same thing. I am waiting on a decision; did your wife get on the course? I hope she did!
Reply 9
At the moment am doing access course foundation but I am progressing on to the two year access course however I think my cautions and condiemtionally discharge may affect I made two silly mistakes and I learnt from it so hope your wife and you get in to the course as well as me in 4 years time
Original post by Tiff29
At the moment am doing access course foundation but I am progressing on to the two year access course however I think my cautions and condiemtionally discharge may affect I made two silly mistakes and I learnt from it so hope your wife and you get in to the course as well as me in 4 years time

Check the date before posting - the OP was asking this question over three years ago, and wifey is now a fully-qualified midwife delivering heaps of babies in North London. Probably.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending