The Student Room Group

Best Zoology Courses?

Hi,

I'm just finishing my first year of A level and I'm planning to apply to uni to do a zoology course with the aim of trying to get into conservation work or possibly academia.

I was just wondering if any zoology students or graduates had any opinions on the different university courses available, or even if any biology students etc had any opinions about which universities have good departments and teaching for this type of course/area of science.
Also if anyone has any general tips about how to decide on the order you put choices in that would be great as well.

Currently i'm particularly looking at Leeds, Newcastle, Liverpool, Bristol, Manchester and Nottingham.

Any help is really appreciated,

Thanks.
Original post by Gallifrey1963
Hi,

I'm just finishing my first year of A level and I'm planning to apply to uni to do a zoology course with the aim of trying to get into conservation work or possibly academia.

I was just wondering if any zoology students or graduates had any opinions on the different university courses available, or even if any biology students etc had any opinions about which universities have good departments and teaching for this type of course/area of science.
Also if anyone has any general tips about how to decide on the order you put choices in that would be great as well.

Currently i'm particularly looking at Leeds, Newcastle, Liverpool, Bristol, Manchester and Nottingham.

Any help is really appreciated,

Thanks.

No single person will have gone to multiple unis to compare. Compare course structures and work out where grads end up. Look at things like work and research opportunities.
I've already done that, hence why i'm here, but thanks.
(Also I know you're trying to be helpful, but your reply comes across as a little snarky and judgemental
cause almost all people are aware you only do 1 course at 1 uni).

I'm perfectly aware no one has experience of multiple courses but i'm asking if anyone has any particular opinions on the course they did or on the quality of teaching they received as this can't be reliably gotten from the uni's themselves and there aren't any recent threads that answer these questions.

As I said anyone who did zoology at Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle or Nottingham, opinions on teaching quality, quality of the field courses (not destinations as i'm aware of these) and the facilities at the universities as well as any other information you think is useful to know would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by Gallifrey1963
I've already done that, hence why i'm here, but thanks.
(Also I know you're trying to be helpful, but your reply comes across as a little snarky and judgemental
cause almost all people are aware you only do 1 course at 1 uni).

I'm perfectly aware no one has experience of multiple courses but i'm asking if anyone has any particular opinions on the course they did or on the quality of teaching they received as this can't be reliably gotten from the uni's themselves and there aren't any recent threads that answer these questions.

As I said anyone who did zoology at Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle or Nottingham, opinions on teaching quality, quality of the field courses (not destinations as i'm aware of these) and the facilities at the universities as well as any other information you think is useful to know would be greatly appreciated.

And yet so many people rely on randomers opinions on the internet without doing their own research or visiting the unis. I have been doing this for years and work for a uni and every year ask: how will subjective opinions which can be vastly different help? I’ve told you how to work it out for yourself. You can take it as you like or not. Good luck!
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending