The Student Room Group

EPQ ideas

Hi, I'm starting year 12 im September and I have taken EPQ as an option. I have some ideas for the routes I could go down, but am not sure where to go from there. Can anyone give me some inspiration or prompts based upon my current ideas?

Current ideas:
*The effect of dramatherapy on clients with developmental difficulties
-ideal route, however the resources would be rare and very expensive
*The extent to which Greek theatre has influenced modern portrayals of women
-easier to find resources for, but not sure how to research this
*The influence of Greek theatre on William Shakespeare's portrayal of women
-very interesting but also VERY difficult to dig up references to Greek theatre. only 2 i can think of is R&J's representation of fate as the 'three fates' and R&J is a subverted Greek tragedy in which a woman experiences a downfall etc
*French theatre's impact on British theatre
-vague, and not sure how to explore this as the only controversial french theatre practitioner is Antonin Artaud

so essentially, anything combining culture and theatre...
eg
*spanish culture and theatre
or
*english literature and theatre
or even
*psychology and theatre
kind of routes would really help me. thanks so much!
Reply 1
For my EPQ I did 'To what extent is Stanislavski the founding father of modern day theatre' and found that there was loads to talk about regarding different theatre practitioners and their methods, you could replace Stanislavki with Shakespeare as it would allow a wide range of topics to discuss as it's a very open question and when doing mine I found loads of resources
Don't do EPQ mate
Reply 3
Original post by Pure Water
Don't do EPQ mate

Why? Essay-writing and research is one of my very strong points
Reply 4
Original post by Ellawp
For my EPQ I did 'To what extent is Stanislavski the founding father of modern day theatre' and found that there was loads to talk about regarding different theatre practitioners and their methods, you could replace Stanislavki with Shakespeare as it would allow a wide range of topics to discuss as it's a very open question and when doing mine I found loads of resources

That's really really good inspiration!!! Thank you!!
OP, ignore the person saying to not do EPQ. A fair amount of people at my college struggled, but honestly, that was down to poor planning and time management. I did my EPQ on astrophysics and if it may be possible that life forms exist on exoplanets, so a relatively difficult topic (even though it fit with maths and physics a level) and I handed it in on the hand in day, not a minute late. If you have good research and essay writing skills as you've mentioned, go for it. It really helps your application, gives you something to talk about at university interviews (especially if your EPQ is related to the course you are applying for) and hand in day is around the end of March, so it's finished well before exams start :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by SquishyMissy
OP, ignore the person saying to not do EPQ. A fair amount of people at my college struggled, but honestly, that was down to poor planning and time management. I did my EPQ on astrophysics and if it may be possible that life forms exist on exoplanets, so a relatively difficult topic (even though it fit with maths and physics a level) and I handed it in on the hand in day, not a minute late. If you have good research and essay writing skills as you've mentioned, go for it. It really helps your application, gives you something to talk about at university interviews (especially if your EPQ is related to the course you are applying for) and hand in day is around the end of March, so it's finished well before exams start :smile:

Thank you!!! This is really reassuring to hear. Out of curiosity, do you know what grade you got ?
Original post by jorjeea
Thank you!!! This is really reassuring to hear. Out of curiosity, do you know what grade you got ?

Nope, I asked my supervisor if she was allowed to tell me and although she marked it, it could still be subject to change from the exam board. So she said she couldn't tell me, but that 'I wouldn't be disappointed'. So that sounds promising! For me, disappointed would be anything less than a B, but tbh I'm hoping for an A at least.
Reply 8
Original post by SquishyMissy
Nope, I asked my supervisor if she was allowed to tell me and although she marked it, it could still be subject to change from the exam board. So she said she couldn't tell me, but that 'I wouldn't be disappointed'. So that sounds promising! For me, disappointed would be anything less than a B, but tbh I'm hoping for an A at least.

wow that sounds great!! update me when you find out what you got in august !
Original post by jorjeea
wow that sounds great!! update me when you find out what you got in august !

Will do!

Quick Reply

Latest