Failing 2 modules after retaking first year Watch

Ogara
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am currently doing a BEng course called electrical and electronic engineering, my first year I fail 4 modules and I retook the modules I failed and this year, I passed two and I failed two. If I have failed only 30 credits worth of modules can I continue to the second year or will I fail uni??
Herts UG Student Rep
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ogara)
I am currently doing a BEng course called electrical and electronic engineering, my first year I fail 4 modules and I retook the modules I failed and this year, I passed two and I failed two. If I have failed only 30 credits worth of modules can I continue to the second year or will I fail uni??
Heya--how do you know you failed the two? If it's through your student record, what is the code next to the grades?

I'm sorry to hear you failed two modules again. Are there any extenuating circumstances that perhaps led to this?
Ogara
Rep:
?
(Original post by Michelle Bieger)
Heya--how do you know you failed the two? If it's through your student record, what is the code next to the grades?

I'm sorry to hear you failed two modules again. Are there any extenuating circumstances that perhaps led to this?
The reason why I know is because I did really badly in my opinion in ref/Def maths exam and they have very short notice to revise for these exams and didn't give much help when it came to revision. I did my own revision but the past paper were not similar to the test.

I have tried my hardest with both attempts because I was 3.4% off in a digital electronic exam and the maths wasn't done so well which was frustrating and I really like the subject.
username1333513
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i think it depends what your uni requirements are, i think for most you need to pass all the module you take to pass the year right? in that case you would probably have failed the year again. I think you might need to rethink your options if you’re struggling to pass the retake year as well
Herts UG Student Rep
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ogara)
The reason why I know is because I did really badly in my opinion in ref/Def maths exam and they have very short notice to revise for these exams and didn't give much help when it came to revision. I did my own revision but the past paper were not similar to the test.

I have tried my hardest with both attempts because I was 3.4% off in a digital electronic exam and the maths wasn't done so well which was frustrating and I really like the subject.
Okay so nothing is confirmed at all yet! Take a deep breath, there's still a chance you did better than you thought. I would go ahead and contact your programme tutor, and say that you aren't feeling too confident in your ref/def exam and inquire after the consequences. I only know the regulations regarding exam/module failures for PAM, so I can't conclusively say what will happen next--best to contact the programme tutor!

I know it can be so stressful to do a ref/def with that short notice period....whatever happens next, I would take a longer look at your study strategies though and see how to best go about studying such maths in the future.
Ogara
Rep:
?
(Original post by bubblegumcat)
i think it depends what your uni requirements are, i think for most you need to pass all the module you take to pass the year right? in that case you would probably have failed the year again. I think you might need to rethink your options if you’re struggling to pass the retake year as well
From what I have check it say I can't fail more than 30 credits with is 2 15 credit modules or 1 30 credit module.
Ogara
Rep:
?
Okay so nothing is confirmed at all yet! Take a deep breath, there's still a chance you did better than you thought. I would go ahead and contact your programme tutor, and say that you aren't feeling too confident in your ref/def exam and inquire after the consequences. I only know the regulations regarding exam/module failures for PAM, so I can't conclusively say what will happen next--best to contact the programme tutor!

I know it can be so stressful to do a ref/def with that short notice period....whatever happens next, I would take a longer look at your study strategies though and see how to best go about studying such maths in the future.
Thanks that is really helpful.
username1333513
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ogara)
From what I have check it say I can't fail more than 30 credits with is 2 15 credit modules or 1 30 credit module.
have your results actually been released yet or are you just guessing that you’ve failed two of the module? because it sounds like you haven’t seen the results yet but you’ve written it out as if they’ve already been released, if you’re sure you’ve failed those two modules then yes you’ve probably failed the year, if your results haven’t been released yet then you never know maybe you’ve passed.
Ogara
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago

I got my results now, and I only failed one module but it's says fnfa does this mean, I can't go into second year??
Duncan2012
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Ogara)
I got my results now, and I only failed one module but it's says fnfa does this mean, I can't go into second year??
A quick google search shows that stands for 'fail, no further attempts'. As to what that means in your particular circumstances, I don't know. You can find your uni's academic regulations and check for yourself. Speak to your uni asap.

If you're unable to pass a first year module then you seriously need to think about what you're going to do differently next year, assuming you're able to move on.
University of Hertfordshire
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Ogara)
Hi @Ogara

As @Michelle Bieger said it would be best to contact your Programme Tutor as soon as you can and they can talk you through your options.

Thanks,
Heather
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 12 Oct '19
    All Subjects Postgraduate
    Wed, 6 Nov '19
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (139)
17.62%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
9.38%
No I am happy with my course choice (464)
58.81%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (112)
14.2%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise