The Student Room Group

Forensics at uni with no science a levels

I dont currently study any science based subjects at a level but im interested in doing forensics at uni. Would i be able to do a foundation year at a uni to sort of skip redoing a levels in science subjects and how do i find out which unis let you study forensics without having science a levels? Would there even be a point in going to a mediocre uni in terms of forensics jobs afterwards?
Any helps appreciated
Edit:also since no Russell group uni offers forensics would it be difficult to apply for a masters from a bad uni to a good one even if i got good grades or is it possible?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by filmaker
I dont currently study any science based subjects at a level but im interested in doing forensics at uni. Would i be able to do a foundation year at a uni to sort of skip redoing a levels in science subjects and how do i find out which unis let you study forensics without having science a levels? Would there even be a point in going to a mediocre uni in terms of forensics jobs afterwards?
Any helps appreciated
Edit:also since no Russell group uni offers forensics would it be difficult to apply for a masters from a bad uni to a good one even if i got good grades or is it possible?

Do the degree with an integrated foundation year.
You will have to ask them about job availability or employment statistics.

https://digital.ucas.com/search/results?SearchText=Forensic+Science+with+Foundation+Year&filters=Destination_Undergraduate&ProviderText=&SubjectText=&AutoSuggestType=coursetitleslist&SearchType=searchbarbutton
A foundation year will cost you more money than an access to sciences programme. It would be cheaper to do access and you can use it at more places. Many with a foundation year, are non-transferable, so you would be stuck at the same uni
You can do a foundation year as above, which are connected to many relevant courses for that area. An Access to HE course is an option, however it's generally more appropriate for e.g. mature students and similar who have been out of school for a while; additionally, Access to HE courses vary immensely and contrary to suggestions above, all Access to HE courses are not acceptable by all universities or for all courses offered by a given university. If you do pursue an access course, I would suggest contacting universities of interest beforehand to check that specific Access to HE course is acceptable.

Regarding Forensic Science more generally as a career, you don't need to do a degree in Forensic Science to be a Forensic Scientist. In fact many will have degrees in e.g. Chemistry, Biology, Biomedical Sciences, Genetics, Biochemistry, etc, etc. These are commonly available with foundation year, and are more common at Russell Group universities (which as usual I will note is not a distinction that is really relevant for undergraduate degrees, as the Russell Group is defined by their postgraduate research output and quality). In fact you may not necessarily need a degree at all, or at least an explicitly academic one; a degree apprenticeship in a laboratory science format/field may well suffice, or perhaps a lower level apprenticeship in the same. I can't make any assurances on this though, and I would note in general the Forensic Science field is small, and due to the popularity of science based police procedural TV shows in the last 15 years or so has become quite a popular area - so competition may be somewhat higher than expected even for roles which may not be that appealing from a financial or geographic point of view.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending